Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Padilla 1948 Lancero

Date: November / December 2011 (two attempts)
Cigar: Padilla 1948 Lancero

I suppose I should start off by saying I'm not a picky cigar smoker. I've smoked some really exceptional sticks, and enjoyed every inch of them. I've also smoked some budget smokes and enjoyed them for what they were, even if that meant smoking 3" of it and tossing it what it turned harsh in the second half....

But..... Ugh... what the hell did Padilla do with this stick? I remember liking the 1932's a lot a few years ago, so I picked up a 5'er of the 1948's with every expectation of a decent and enjoyable mid-range smoke.

The smoke consistency was that of chalk. Instant, dry cardboard chalk! After the first puff my mouth felt as dry as the Sahara and it took an entire beer to rehydrate and wash the taste out.

Flavors? I don't know, I didn't smoke it long enough. In my history of cigar smoking, the only cigar that I put down faster than this one was a grape swisher! And to be perfectly honest, I would rather smoke 3" of a cremosa than this cigar!

I can tolerate bland flavors, mild flavors, and even a little bite. But this cigar just "felt bad" in the mouth, I don't know how to describe it better. The kind of smoke you put down not because it tastes bad, but because you're mouth says "don't do that to me again or I'm going on strike".

I tried this stick on two separate occasions, neither time I could smoke more than a 1/2" of it. Did I get TWO bad sticks? or is this cigar just that bad?

I'm pretty sure I gave one out to someone the day before I lit mine up. I don't remember who it was, but !!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice
Default Re: Padilla 1948 Lancero

Thanks for braving thru the review.

Never had these in lancero, but I like the
robustos from time to time for lunch .
I wonder if the vitola makes the difference,
or whether they've changed the blend?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Vitola makes some difference, but I seriously wondering if they did change the blend.

Picked up a couple 32 lanceros, might give one a go this week and see what happens..... I know that one was good, once upon a time....

Posted via Mobile Device
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Francis: The Only Padilla I Like Is The Miami. Sorry, Brother.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Francis: The Only Padilla I Like Is The Miami. Sorry, Brother.
no worries Greg. bearing in mind my palate may have outgrown them as well
Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

I loved the 1932's, haven't had a 48 at all yet, might have one in the cooler somewhere.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

never ate chalk before.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote