Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 10-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
w squared

Default Roasting Virgin

I'm an espresso junkie, and I readily admit it. Until now, my cravings have been satisifed by local roasters, and a few boutique internet places in this half of Canada that will accept your order on Saturday and Sunday, roast it Monday, and ship it Tuesday. But I've got a problem, see...

One of my friends is in Indonesia right now, and he just offered to bring back two pounds of Kopi Lewak that hasn't yet been roasted...for $50. Here's my deal:

-I've never tried Kopi Lewak, but I've heard lots.

-I've never roasted at home, but I'm willing to buy a roaster just to experiment.

I'm hoping for suggestions on moderatly priced roasters that don't require 220 volt electrical feed, as well as roasting technique.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Roasting Virgin

I wouldn't suggest learning how to roast with $50-lb beans. You want these done right the first time so you don't feel like you missed out on something. While there are good 120VAC home roaster options it'll still take many pounds of experimenting and familiarization to become even marginally competent.

Why not take them to a local roasting house with good credentials and let them roast the beans for you? Homeroasting is a passion thing for nutjobs, anyhow. You don't get 2-lbs of rare coffee and decide to start homeroasting - you get a bug up your butt that you need to roast coffee and get 25-lbs of garden variety stuff to experiemnt with for six months.

One cows view.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

A few years ago, my Italian land-lady taught my wife how to roast on the stove-top with a non-stick frying pan. Works awesome, super easy!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I wouldn't suggest learning how to roast with $50-lb beans. You want these done right the first time so you don't feel like you missed out on something..
Like the taste of cat poop.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post

Dude! Give the man a chance to find out for himself!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
w squared

Quote:
What's wrong with cat poop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I wouldn't suggest learning how to roast with $50-lb beans. You want these done right the first time so you don't feel like you missed out on something. While there are good 120VAC home roaster options it'll still take many pounds of experimenting and familiarization to become even marginally competent.

Why not take them to a local roasting house with good credentials and let them roast the beans for you? Homeroasting is a passion thing for nutjobs, anyhow. You don't get 2-lbs of rare coffee and decide to start homeroasting - you get a bug up your butt that you need to roast coffee and get 25-lbs of garden variety stuff to experiemnt with for six months.

One cows view.
I've actually given a lot of thought to doing my own roasting since I dumped that large pile of money into the garbage disposal that I call my Espresso machine. Will a guy that is happy with a Quickmill Silvano and a Baratza Vario be equally happy with a 3 or 4 hundred dollar Behmor drum roaster?

I'm also a little concerned about temperature. Given that I live in Canada, I can't even really use my Bradley Smoker during the late fall and winter. Is it reasonable to attempt to run that Behmor indoors (under the range hood) during the winter months?

To be honest with you, the Kopi Lewak is really just a bit of an excuse. Ever since I've realized the importance of having freshly roasted beans, I've wanted to do the deed myself....to control freshness and also ensure consistency with lighter roasts that allow flavour profiles other than "char".
Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I roast with a Behmor, but roast into second crack a lot of the time.

Even with Behmor's "famous smoke suppression", I wouldn't dream of roasting indoors unless I wanted to make sure my smoke detectors were working.

I would definitely say a Behmor would compliment your current setup nicely.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by w squared View Post
I've actually given a lot of thought to doing my own roasting since I dumped that large pile of money into the garbage disposal that I call my Espresso machine. Will a guy that is happy with a Quickmill Silvano and a Baratza Vario be equally happy with a 3 or 4 hundred dollar Behmor drum roaster?

To be honest with you, the Kopi Lewak is really just a bit of an excuse. Ever since I've realized the importance of having freshly roasted beans, I've wanted to do the deed myself....
In view of that, I'd scotch the catshit beans and use the $50 for a five bean assortment; the Behmor (or SCCO if you're a tinkering sort) is a fine roasters but does not constitute an indoor sport. There are cold weather stategies for the possessed. Problem to consider is, once you get it right, going back to anything less than the best is very difficult.

Anyhow, I got this gold TAG/Heuer wristwatch about 20-years ago and my dad kept telling me that his $0.25 cereal box promo quartz watch kept the same time as my fancy-schmancy one. One day I said, "Pop, you got a watch so you'd know what time it was. I got one so my customers would ask, "Wow. What kind of watch is that?" There is a time and place for either one. Catshit beans are for people who want to tell someone they bought catshit beans. In a world with a limited supply of $50-bills I would MUCH rather have 3-lbs of Smith Farms Kona. In a world with an unlimited supply of fifties, I'd get 20-pounds of Smith Farms Kona.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

I kind of liked the cat poop coffee Mrs.RodgersCPA bought me for our anniversary.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
Resipsa

On second thought, after reviewing the title of this thread I realize I have no experience in roasting virgins.

Years of experience roasting coffee. Virgins, not so much roasting as other things.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
On second thought, after reviewing the title of this thread I realize I have no experience in roasting virgins.

Years of experience roasting coffee. Virgins, not so much roasting as other things.
Don't worry, it won't come up; they're hard to find.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Kopi Luwak.........Good to the last Dropping.........I agree, for the money I would rather pick up Hawiian or Jamaican,or one of several special offerings available.
I have tried the Kopi,I really did not find it to my liking........
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote