Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Drew Estates Kentucky Fire Cured...

The newest thing in their MUWAT line I guess. Got myself one of the 'Fat Molly' size at Party Source yesterday, and drove the half mile over to Beer Sellar (a bar on the Ohio River where much herfing takes place in the Cincytucky area) in order to try out the stogie.

For the entire inch or so that I could tolerate, the only flavor I was getting was scorched dirt. Might have stuck it out longer but after the first half inch or so was smoked, the stick blowed up due to being desert dry. Now I can't say that would be the store's fault, (their track record is very good in this regard) and I certainly didn't have a chance to improperly store the thing. Somewhere in the line between manufacturer and retailer, the cigar wasn't humidified properly.

I walked out to the bar's patio and sent the cigar back towards Nicaragua via the Ohio River. I don't really run into many truly lousy cigars, and normally I'd keep my yap shut until a second chance could be offered, but I found this KFC to be epic bad.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation
Default Re: Drew Estates Kentucky Fire Cured...

I walked out to the bar's patio and sent the cigar back towards Nicaragua via the Ohio River. I don't really run into many truly lousy cigars, and normally I'd keep my yap shut until a second chance could be offered, but I found this KFC to be epic bad.[/quote]

LOL HA
Old 12-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't a fan of the Lecia Fire Cured stick at all. I believe I'm gonna pass on this one. Thanks for sharing Brian.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

This is funny, I bought my first one today (thank god I only bought one) my first NC I've bought in months, when I opened the cellophane it smelled like a burnt down house, and smoking it tasted like gnawing on a burnt log, The best word to describe this cigar is GROSS!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Pitched after 1/2 an inch I could tell this was heading somewhere very bad, and for the record I bought the chunky.
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

ROFL Brian. Missed your review as I was posting mine. Polar opposites. I love this place.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Wrong forum?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I had one on Thursday and wasn't impressed with the flavor at all.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Good info, thanks!!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I wasn't a fan of the Lecia Fire Cured stick at all. I believe I'm gonna pass on this one. Thanks for sharing Brian.

The white label is disgusting, the black label I thought was alright.

In retrospect, Sam Leccia handrolled me a kentucky fried chicken freshie which was fantastic and was a hybrid of both. He said he has no plans of putting that mix out on the market though. I suppose YMMV.

Last edited by fencefixer; 12-21-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: missed quote
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough

This shows first hand how peoples tastes can vary wildly. I love the KFC fat molly as well as the smaller size. I smoke one everyday and will be buying a box soon.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I was given one and smoked it yesterday. Before lighting up there was a sweetness on my lips that I couldn't put my finger on, the stick itself smelled like a campfire I guess would be the best way to describe it. I lit it up and the sweetness on my lips continued......after the 1/3 the sweetness was gone as was any other flavor I was getting out of the cigar which was the campfire aroma I mentioned earlier.

I pitched it at the beginning of the 2/3rd..........I didn't care for the Rustica either......hmmm DE going down the drain for me lately.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #13
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I was given one and smoked it yesterday. Before lighting up there was a sweetness on my lips that I couldn't put my finger on, the stick itself smelled like a campfire I guess would be the best way to describe it. I lit it up and the sweetness on my lips continued......after the 1/3 the sweetness was gone as was any other flavor I was getting out of the cigar which was the campfire aroma I mentioned earlier.

I pitched it at the beginning of the 2/3rd..........I didn't care for the Rustica either......hmmm DE going down the drain for me lately.
I tried one a couple months back. Chucked it about halfway, I kept tasting barbecue sauce. I like barbecue, but on barbecue, not in a cigar. Really dissapointed. Have any of you who disliked the KFC tried the Leccia black? I know it's much less fire cured tobacco, just didn't know if you all liked it better.

Last edited by jhedrick83; 03-31-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #14
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedrick83 View Post
I tried one a couple months back. Chucked it about halfway, I kept tasting barbecue sauce. I like barbecue, but on barbecue, not in a cigar. Really dissapointed. Have any of you who disliked the KFC tried the Leccia black? I know it's much less fire cured tobacco, just didn't know if you all liked it better.
Jesse after some age the Leccia Black has really opened up....for me anyways, my shop had an event last June I think and I tried one, didn't like it. Decided to try one this past month and I really liked it........tried another one from a more recent box the shop got in.....didn't care for it.....so let em' age.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Jesse after some age the Leccia Black has really opened up....for me anyways, my shop had an event last June I think and I tried one, didn't like it. Decided to try one this past month and I really liked it........tried another one from a more recent box the shop got in.....didn't care for it.....so let em' age.
Gotcha!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough

What is leccia black.?
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post
What is leccia black.?
http://kohnhed.com/2013/06/06/cigar-...k-white-black/

Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post
What is leccia black.?
It has some fire cured tobacco in it, but supposedly not nearly as much as the KFC.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
fid
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
fid is on a distinguished road

Fire cured Kentucky is used alot in pipe tobacco blends. It's more of a condiment and a little bit goes a long way.
fid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #20
stevef2005
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
stevef2005 will become famous soon enough

Glad I saw this. Guess will stop asking guy at the B&M if they have gotten them in.
stevef2005 is offline   Reply With Quote