Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
badbriar

Default El Centurion

I like to tell the end of a great story first and thereby, ruin the anticipation. This is one fantastic cigar. Personally, I'm not a fan of all the Don Pepin Garcias offerings, but this is one of his biggest hits yet.
The Centirion is re- released from an initial limited run from a few years back. IMHO, this stick performs a lot like a good maduro, with a faded criolo wrapper. Construction on the four samples were all very well done, without flaws. Cutting and pre-light draw were easy and slightly loose with a flavor of good things to follow (like I prefer my women). After respectfully toasting, initial flavors came on quick and smooth - big unsweetened chocolate/coffee/smoooooth tobacco. Lots of smoke with light grey ash that hung on for about an inch & a half, and then dropped in my lap. My bad for not paying better attention. Flavors changed periodically from slightly sweet coffee/expresso/leather/good smooth dark tobacco. (What the hell dark tobacco tastes like, I have no flippin' idea, but that is the closest description I can think of). Smooth, easy draw with no touch-ups needed at all. Very creamy smoke with no harshness and little pepper that I could identify. An added plus is that this stick does not leave one with a dog rocket taste on the palate! Took this gem down to the nub. That's getting to be an unusual habit lately with the recent good cigars I've run across.
All in all, this is absolutely one of my favorite cigars. Stocked up the wineador after enjoying these. Highly recommended.
As usual, please understand this is just my 2c and excuse any misspellings, either intentional or just out of pure stupidity...
RR
Old 06-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: El Centurion

Thanks for this review. I'm thinking of buying a box of these blindly. Everyone is raving about them.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
badbriar

I'd recommend trying a 5 pack first. I tried the # 1 rated cigar and found it to be ok, but would not do a box. Think you'll like the Centurion if you're a maduro fan.
RR
Old 06-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

I didn't realize these were being re-released. I had a box from the original release a number of years back which was one of the better NCs I've had. I remember reading an interview with DPG about these cigars and he said he was trying to copy the flavor of an aged Cohiba.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Re-release? Crazy.

Use to like these years ago and I think I might have to pull one out again.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

They're not really a re-release as they're a completely different blend. Word on the street is these are just a maduro version of the Flor de las Antillas that Pepin released with the old Centurion name and band, mainly to have a shot at CA's #1 again this year, as CA won't give #1 to the same cigar, but with different wrappers two years running.

My personal take on em? I could believe they are just a Maddie FdlA. Though you can really taste taste the Sancti Spiritus in the filler much more in the El Centurions.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep hearing a ton of buzz about these. Just grabbed a 5er of the toros. Wrapped with the flavorful Criollo 98 Sun Grown wrapper...had me at wrapped.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Had my first one of these yesterday. Was a little harsh at the beginning for my taste, got better about a half inch in.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (19)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

Definite has a little bite at the beginning but now its flavor is coming out.
MUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Glad to hear these are re-released!!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
badbriar

[quote=DaBear;1853253]They're not really a re-release as they're a completely different blend. Word on the street is these are just a maduro version of the Flor de las Antillas that Pepin released with the old Centurion name and band, mainly to have a shot at CA's #1 again this year, as CA won't give #1 to the same cigar, but with different wrappers two years

Interesting if theCenturion ia the FdlA with a maduro wrapper. In any event, it is a much tastier cigar IMHO. Bought quite a few to put up for a bit of aging.
RR