Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Swisher Sweets Grape Blunt

This is number two in an occasional series of drug store cigar reviews. The cigar was gifted to me by Greg Gainey (ggainey) as a joke but I decided to take the joke one step further and actually smoke one of these.

The cigar is roughly robusto sized with a slightly smaller ring gauge (about 46) than would be expected in a robusto. Overall appearance was of a smoothly rolled cigar with the wrapper being homogenized paper/tobacco combination. Just to show how thoughtful the Swisher folks are, no fighting to remove the band, it was cleverly used as a pull tab to remove the cello. Also, put away your cutter, these fine folks made the cigar with a hole already there for your smoking pleasure. Why can't the big money cigar makers incorporate such smoker friendly features in their cigars.

Now to the smoking experience. The cigar had a loose draw and a taste like a grape Pixie Stick upon lighting. The initial flavor went away after the first half inch and had a flavor of grape in some sort of solution that gave off fumes and put my tongue to sleep and later started it to burning like a harsh pipe tobacco. Burn was razor sharp but fast (thank God). The sensation that I was smoking a grape infused oil continued to the end of the cigar. I must make note that at no time during the smoke did I taste tobacco and bad news for Ben Stearns, I nubbed it so no left overs for you. As I stated in the first sentence of this review, this is drug store cigar review number two and lets leave it by saying that number two is also a fit description of this cigar.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Swisher Sweets Grape Blunt

Wow, I can't believe you smoked it. I've never been adventurous enough to.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Nice Review, Paul!

I was surprised that there was so much detail in here - I must tell you that I'm really impressed in your reviewing skills!

This review is very valuable information to have for the ALL BOTLS to have. For instance, It tells me that if a package comes from Florida, especially from Greg's neck of the woods, that it should be sent back, unopened!!!

Good Stuff, Maynard!!!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Paul. No mention of the purple smoke?
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

You,sir, are truly a fearless man. I salute your courage.
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Well I can't believe you actaully smoked it. You were supposed to smoke the fiver of decent smokes i sent. You didn't have an attack of senility and throw the fiver of good one's away and keep the Swisher's to smoke did you?
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
taltos
Really, really old

taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Well I can't believe you actaully smoked it. You were supposed to smoke the fiver of decent smokes i sent. You didn't have an attack of senility and throw the fiver of good one's away and keep the Swisher's to smoke did you?
My experience here will help me appreciate the decent smokes more.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
This is number two in an occasional series of drug store cigar reviews.
Emphasis on "drug", Paul.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Emphasis on "drug", Paul.
Exactly. I hate to say it, Paul, but I don't think you've fully experienced this stick yet. Next time, break out the cutting tools and give us a proper review.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Nice review Paul. The good thing is at your age you will have forgotten you smoked it and you will try another one.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
The good thing is at your age you will have forgotten you smoked it and you will try another one.
How is that a good thing?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
How is that a good thing?
I get enjoyment out of Paul smoking these horrible things.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
ffup

Thanks for the review. Knowing this I will take the dozen or so out of my humidor and give them to the kids down the street or the homeless guy who plays in the street.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
I get enjoyment out of Paul smoking these horrible things.
Well I can send you some, you can smoke em if you want or regift them to Paul. I don't care either way.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Well I can send you some, you can smoke em if you want or regift them to Paul. I don't care either way.
I think I might have to move again.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #16
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
I think I might have to move again.
Nah don't do that. I will send Paul some more and put your new return addy on there thanks to Shilala.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Nah don't do that. I will send Paul some more and put your new return addy on there thanks to Shilala.
That works for me.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:11 AM   #18
taltos
Really, really old

Greg and Ryan, please show some respect to your elders.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #19
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

The problem is that you smoked an '09 SS Grape without letting it age!!!!! Even the noobiest noob of the noobs knows that an SS is only good with a minimum 5 years age on it! That "grape" flavor will transform and settle into a fine wine taste if you let it age.

(I was actually called "noobiest noob of the noobs" in an online game once. )
Old 08-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #20
taltos
Really, really old

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
The problem is that you smoked an '09 SS Grape without letting it age!!!!! Even the noobiest noob of the noobs knows that an SS is only good with a minimum 5 years age on it! That "grape" flavor will transform and settle into a fine wine taste if you let it age.

(I was actually called "noobiest noob of the noobs" in an online game once. )
Actually I left one on the dashboard of my truck for 2 weeks and it started to decompose. Can I send the rest of them to you so that they may properly age in your humi?