Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
DougBushBC

Default Nestor Miranda Special Selection Lancero

I was gifted this cigar in a PIF on Aficinado Forum, and was excited to try it, since I am just learning to love the Lancero.

Initial Inspection:
The Dark, Oily wrapper immediately reminds me of Nestor's OTHER popular smoke, the Don Lino Africa. This cigar is supposedly a Nicaraguan wrapper with Nicaraguan and Costa Rican filler. It is reported to be the private blend made for Nestor and his friends and family. The shape is perfect, with no visible flaws, and the pigtail at the head is nicely formed. The foot is well bunched.

Pre-light:
The first thing I notice about this cigar before smoking is how mild the aromas are. This would hold true to the other Don Linos I have smoked before. The pre-light draw is deliberate but not tight. The wisps that are released with the toasting are mild as well, with no ammonia. The initial draw after toasting is deliberate but the smoke is full and not the least bit harsh.
First Third:
The heavy volume of mellow smoke allows for a great tasting of the flavors. There are some rich, chocolatey notes as well as a little bit of mild sweetness. I am really enjoying this cigar already. I don't know why it has taken me so long to learn to love the lancero, but these last few I have smoked have all been exceptionally great for learning the flavors of the cigars. The draw was even and the burn was straight.

Second Third:
The draw remained the same, but the flavors began to blend together into an almost dessert-y flavor, sweet and bold. I am always amazed when cigars that are dark and oily turn out to be mild monsters. The burn became a bit askew, and I had to touch it up twice. This could have been because the cigar was not dry-boxed before smoking, but it didn't bother me too much. As expected with this vitola the ash did not hold too long, but each section was still firm. The smoke volume throughout this smoke has been exceptional.

Final Third:
The cigar kept puffing in large quantities and the flavors continued to develop, now highlighting the rich, nutty flavors. The burn evened out and there was no need for any more touch ups. Heat was never an issue with this cigar either, nor did the cigar extinguish itself. Unlike most lanceros, I nubbed this one all the way down and the flavor and smoke continued until I burned my fingertips!
Overall:
This reasonably priced NC was an exceptional value, never offering anything complex but still being a very enjoyable herf. At roughly $6.00 per stick, this is a great buy and a fun little smoke!

Yours truly enjoying a good smoke.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
TOB9595
Managing the UnManageable

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
TOB9595 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nestor Miranda Special Selection Lancero

I enjoy these sticks quite a bit..With a wee bit of age on them theyt are even better tasting.

as you say, Not complex but a fine smoke...agreed
Tom
Old 05-11-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

Nice review. I may have to pick one of these up.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice review. I was gifted one of these and I really enjoyed it.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
Lensjockie

You should try the corona. Things being what they are same experience but more of it.
I would like to see if he puts out any different combinations in this line.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
DougBushBC

I bought a 5'er of the corona on Cbid recently... I will try one soon.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed the one I smoked. It was really a unique flavor.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Great Review! I have one of these babies sitting in my humi right now and your review makes me wanna whip it out and smoke it!!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Stitch set me one of these and I am about half way through it as I type. It is definitely an enjoyable smoke. The first half burned razor sharp but I did have to relight once.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #10
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Stitch set me one of these and I am about half way through it as I type. It is definitely an enjoyable smoke. The first half burned razor sharp but I did have to relight once.
I must say the one you sent me in the trade was very very good. I smoked it the other night and made some buddies who went with me to the shop that night buy them.

This stick has a good deal of flavor but is not a over powering stick. This has moved up very high on my NC ladder. While I am smoking fewer NCs these days I will be smoking these.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #11
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
I must say the one you sent me in the trade was very very good. I smoked it the other night and made some buddies who went with me to the shop that night buy them.

This stick has a good deal of flavor but is not a over powering stick. This has moved up very high on my NC ladder. While I am smoking fewer NCs these days I will be smoking these.
I'm glad you liked it brother... I picked up a couple of 5ers on Cbid for $13.50 if I remember right. For that price it is a VERY good smoke.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the review!!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm glad you liked it brother... I picked up a couple of 5ers on Cbid for $13.50 if I remember right. For that price it is a VERY good smoke.
checked last night and there are none listed. Guess i will need to keep a look out.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
akakirby
Feeling at Home

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (20)
akakirby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I also just finished up the one you sent me brent, I enjoyed it, this was my first lancero. I did have some draw issues it was weird it would be tight for a few draws and then after a few it would loosen up and smoke well not sure why that was. I did have some burn issues with a few touch ups required but that could have been because of the wind, over all I enjoyed this and would not mind smoking another! Thanks Brent for the stick!
akakirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
DougBushBC

I find these really cheap on CBid, and they are great great smokes.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Doug, have you had the chance to try the Coffee Breaks? They are also delicious! I'm upset that I saw this thread just now, anyway, give the Coffee Break a try. I had the lancero and the Coffee Break, the verdict goes to the CB.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
DougBushBC

Huy I had both, the CB is good but I have been a sucker for Lanceros Lately... (smoking an ~HL~ right now)
Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (46)
Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough

nice review doug thanks
AndyMadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Great review. I have to agree with every angle of the review as well. Some other nice lanceros to try is the Cubao by E.O., RP Sungrown and the My Father by DPG. Check'em out!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #20
DougBushBC

RP Guy, I smoked a RP SG Lancero tonite, not amazed... The CUBAO is good, the My Father is heaven on earht.