Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default HD TV for the patio

I want to get a HDTV for my backyard patio....so I can watch the game and smoke.

I read in the other thread that Plasma need a dark room...so I would guess no good for outside?

Any suggestions.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: HD TV for the patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
I want to get a HDTV for my backyard patio....so I can watch the game and smoke.

I read in the other thread that Plasma need a dark room...so I would guess no good for outside?

Any suggestions.
How big? How far away are you sitting? What is your budget?
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
kgoings
Cigarologist

kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
How big? How far away are you sitting? What is your budget?
Times are tough, not really set on a budget or size, want to spend as little as possible...but also looking for a decent tv so I know I will be spending some money. The patio is only 10X15
Old 12-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

22" LCD should work - Check online for AON they have a decent buy through Wal-Mart (Buy online) and there may still be some good sales out there, but AON has a good record online of lowe service needs, and good service when needed... Just my 2 centavos!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

They make special "sun bright" TV's for outdoor use. I would ask your local home theater shop about them. They're brighter than normal flat screens so that the sun won't wash out the picture.

Also, you don't want the TV in direct sunlight. The sun beating on the TV can overheat the screen and it turns black. We put an LCD in the front window of our office and this happened.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Republican View Post
22" LCD should work - Check online for AON they have a decent buy through Wal-Mart (Buy online) and there may still be some good sales out there, but AON has a good record online of lowe service needs, and good service when needed... Just my 2 centavos!
AOC?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

For the price of most 22 or 26 inch LCDs I would just bump up to a 32 inch for a couple bucks more...I was at the freaking supermarket yesterday and they had a 32 inch LCD for $399. I wouldn't get all hung up on name brands or specs. If you are putting it outside you really aren't expecting for a "reference" type theather experence, am I right?

I would go with a deal de jour from wherever you prefer to shop, wallyworld, target, best buy, whatever. In the $400-$500 32" range they are all pretty much the same. Just make sure you are getting an ASTC tuner (if you get your TV over the air) and enough HDMI inputs.

As far as placement, try to get it as much in the shade as possible. Not only will it protect it from the damaging rays of the sun, as was stated above, but it will help with daylight viewing.

BTW - I am jealous at the prospect of having a big tv in my stogie area. I do have a *****in' 13 inch Sony circa 1988 in my garage!

Last edited by AD720; 12-01-2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: clarity and spelling
Old 12-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
For the price of most 22 or 26 inch LCDs I would just bump up to a 32 inch for a couple bucks more...I was at the freaking supermarket yesterday and they had a 32 inch LCD for $399. I wouldn't get all hung up on name brands or specs. If you are putting it outside you really aren't expecting for a "reference" type theather experence, am I right?

I would go with a deal de jour from wherever you prefer to shop, wallyworld, target, best buy, whatever. In the $400-$500 32" range they are all pretty much the same. Just make sure you are getting an ASTC tuner (if you get your TV over the air) and enough HDMI inputs.

As far as placement, try to get it as much in the shade as possible. Not only will it protect it from the damaging rays of the sun, as was stated above, but it will help with daylight viewing.

BTW - I am jealous at the prospect of having a big tv in my stogie area. I do have a *****in' 13 inch Sony circa 1988 in my garage!
Exactly my thoughts, and I am going to hang the TV near the ceiling so it should not be a problem with the sun.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Plasma's needing to be in a dark place in my opinion is a myth. My plasma hangs right next to my window and the picture is fine.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

I was watching a reno show awhile back and they installed an HDTV made for outdoor use. I believe it was sealed tight and had some kind of coating on the screen to help with glare. Then again, it could just be god marketing. Should be able to google it.
GWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
I was watching a reno show awhile back and they installed an HDTV made for outdoor use. I believe it was sealed tight and had some kind of coating on the screen to help with glare. Then again, it could just be god marketing. Should be able to google it.
They are for real and legit.

And awesome.

And about two grand for a 26 inch.