Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #341
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
I myself am working towards a Digital Nikon but with a baby coming in January my camera will probably have to wait a few monthes
IMO (not that i weigh in with much) Get it now with all the deals. Canon T1i or Nikon D90

You will certainly be glad you did with the screamin deamon comes. Plus you get to share all the cute pictures with us.

P.S. Old nikon lenses work with new bodies. Just have to manual focus.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #342
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

And another question... what's the difference between the SB600 and the SB400 and/or something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/318AF-Digital-...1433097&sr=8-9

or

http://www.amazon.com/Bounce-Coolpix...433097&sr=8-10

Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #343
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall View Post
What about quicker moving things like kickflips/tre flips/etc. where the board is whipping around... have you taken any of those?

Seeing pictures like this confirms that I have no clue what I'm doing with my camera...
Old 12-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #344
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
IMO (not that i weigh in with much) Get it now with all the deals. Canon T1i or Nikon D90

You will certainly be glad you did with the screamin deamon comes. Plus you get to share all the cute pictures with us.

P.S. Old nikon lenses work with new bodies. Just have to manual focus.
if you know how to use BING.COM you can get a d3000 for about $400 after rebate
Old 12-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #345
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Do any off-brand ones work close to as good? That flash is more expensive than my 55-200 lens!
Yes off name brands work well also. Im currently using one from the 70's lol

I have little experience with off names but hopefully someone will chime in soon.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #346
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Quote:
And another question... what's the difference between the SB600 and the SB400 and/or something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/318AF-Digital-...1433097&sr=8-9

or

http://www.amazon.com/Bounce-Coolpix...433097&sr=8-10

The second one looks like a great deal. The first one I dont really know.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #347
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Pop shove it to fakie

F4.5
1/160 sec
ISO 800
Onboard flash
Old 12-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #348
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Shamelessly stolen from Kgoings in case anyone missed it.

If you want a good blog on strobs and lighting check out

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

he has a deal setup for packages here

http://www.mpex.com/page.htm?PG=Strobist%20Kits
Old 12-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #349
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Are the Nikon D90 and D5000 the same camera?
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #350
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Pop shove it to fakie

F4.5
1/160 sec
ISO 800
Onboard flash

Damn. I really need to learn how to use my camera.

Nice shot!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #351
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
Are the Nikon D90 and D5000 the same camera?

No...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/28/n...head-with-d90/

I really like the D5000, but I have tons to learn
Old 12-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #352
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
What about quicker moving things like kickflips/tre flips/etc. where the board is whipping around... have you taken any of those?

Seeing pictures like this confirms that I have no clue what I'm doing with my camera...
Taking action shots you have to know how to work the camera's settings and make them work for you to get the image YOU want. When I am taking action shots I usually take my camera in full auto mode and 'half-click and see what the camera is choosing' and then make my own adjustments from there to 'get what I want'. You have to know how the following work, aperture, iso, and speed, and how they work with each other.

ISO is basically film speed. The higher the number the less light you need to get a faster shutter speed. But also you get image noise as you go higher. Sometimes that is just a sacrifice you have to make.

Aperture is the setting the allows more or less light in. The lower the number 1.8 2.0 the more light is let in and the faster shutter speed you can get. But as you allow more light in with larger aperture (larger being smaller numbers...I know confusing) then the depth of field gets smaller, meaning you will have less room for error in your focusing plane.

Shutter speed is the amount of time that the shutter stays open, the longer it stays open the more movement will blur your picture.

So back to the question about flip tricks. So what I would do, is in full auto half click and get the settings for where I am going to take the picture. Lets say it puts me at ISO 100, F5, and a shutter speed of 1/80. Well shutter speed is what is going to 'Stop' the action of the flipping and twisting of the board. 1/80th of a second is NOT going to do that. You need at least 1/300th or faster.

There are a couple ways you could do this. You could goto Shutter Priority and set the shutter speed at 1/300th or even 1/500th and let the camera determine the other settings for you.

I personally do not like to let the camera make decisions for me, I try to limit the decisions the camera makes. So what I would do, is drop the ISO down to 400 or 800, aperture at 2.8 or larger depending on the lens I have and shutter speed around 1/500th.

Try shutter priority first, and then make it a point to learn how to use these setting and how they affect each other.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #353
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
Taking action shots you have to know how to work the camera's settings and make them work for you to get the image YOU want. When I am taking action shots I usually take my camera in full auto mode and 'half-click and see what the camera is choosing' and then make my own adjustments from there to 'get what I want'. You have to know how the following work, aperture, iso, and speed, and how they work with each other.

ISO is basically film speed. The higher the number the less light you need to get a faster shutter speed. But also you get image noise as you go higher. Sometimes that is just a sacrifice you have to make.

Aperture is the setting the allows more or less light in. The lower the number 1.8 2.0 the more light is let in and the faster shutter speed you can get. But as you allow more light in with larger aperture (larger being smaller numbers...I know confusing) then the depth of field gets smaller, meaning you will have less room for error in your focusing plane.

Shutter speed is the amount of time that the shutter stays open, the longer it stays open the more movement will blur your picture.

So back to the question about flip tricks. So what I would do, is in full auto half click and get the settings for where I am going to take the picture. Lets say it puts me at ISO 100, F5, and a shutter speed of 1/80. Well shutter speed is what is going to 'Stop' the action of the flipping and twisting of the board. 1/80th of a second is NOT going to do that. You need at least 1/300th or faster.

There are a couple ways you could do this. You could goto Shutter Priority and set the shutter speed at 1/300th or even 1/500th and let the camera determine the other settings for you.

I personally do not like to let the camera make decisions for me, I try to limit the decisions the camera makes. So what I would do, is drop the ISO down to 400 or 800, aperture at 2.8 or larger depending on the lens I have and shutter speed around 1/500th.

Try shutter priority first, and then make it a point to learn how to use these setting and how they affect each other.

That's what I was looking to see!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #354
JetJocky51

I am not sure if the picture will show here or not. I uploaded a file that is showing is attached. If you see it here, it is a shot at a golf tourney to benefit Altism Speaks.

I am sorry if this message does not work. I am new here.

How do you imbed an image from your hard drive to a thread here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web.jpg (118.4 KB, 866 views)
Old 12-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #355
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJocky51 View Post
I am not sure if the picture will show here or not. I uploaded a file that is showing is attached. If you see it here, it is a shot at a golf tourney to benefit Altism Speaks.

I am sorry if this message does not work. I am new here.

How do you imbed an image from your hard drive to a thread here?
Like this

Old 12-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #356
kgoings
Cigarologist

kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
That's what I was looking to see!!!

Shutter priority on Nikons is the TV setting, aperature priority is AV.

Another thing I do, is if I know I want to shoot the action picture in a certain aperature. I will goto Aperature Priority (AV) and set it where I want it, lets say 2.8. Then I will do a half click and see what the suggested shutter speed is. If it is too slow, then I can adjust the ISO to another setting and recheck till I get the shutter speed I want. Then I set all my settings in full manual and shoot away!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #357
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Quote:
Those are Canon settings. It's "S" and "A" on Nikons

Quote:
Another thing I do, is if I know I want to shoot the action picture in a certain aperature. I will goto Aperature Priority (AV) and set it where I want it, lets say 2.8. Then I will do a half click and see what the suggested shutter speed is. If it is too slow, then I can adjust the ISO to another setting and recheck till I get the shutter speed I want. Then I set all my settings in full manual and shoot away!
That seems like a lot of work, but getting a guage from the camera is an awesome idea!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #358
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
That seems like a lot of work, but getting a guage from the camera is an awesome idea!
Yup, but it makes it all worth it when the picture on the camera is what you imagined in your head before hand. Honestly it looks like alot, but in reality it takes maybe 30 seconds once you know what your doing.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #359
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
From walkin' teh dag today...

Have your little friend say hello to my little friend.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #360
Roland of Gilead

Quote:

I shoot in AV mode I would guess 90% of the time. About the only time I don't is when I'm looking to do a "panning" shot.

-Roland.