Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
vinnydisilvio

Default Shuriken Cutter: First Impressions

***Sorry for the length of the write-up...it kinda got away on me***

Having read the previous thread about this item on CA, it's clear not everyone is interested in it. There are some who are more than happy to stick with what works for them. Great. However, there are some who are curious or even interested in it. Maybe they're collectors like me who like to have at least 1 of each kind of cutter available. Maybe they just like checking out the newest thing. I just got mine in the mail today so I thought I'd write about my first impressions (as I've only used it once) for those interested.

As with a lot of new products, this one makes some interesting claims. The company who makes it (I believe it's CigarTech but I could be wrong) claims that it allows the smoker to more easily control the draw of the cigar. They also claim that not cutting the cap off increases the amount of flavor you get from the stick, as well as the claim that having the 6 slits vs. cutting off part of the cap allows for a cooler smoke and more even draw and burn. Finally the claim is that, the slits being where they are, the smoke is directed right to the front of the palate so that some of the more pleasant flavors of the cigar can be easily experienced.

The cutter currently only comes with a plastic body and retails for about $20. It comes in the shape of what I would describe as a capsule. Once the cap comes off, inside there are 6 very small blades in a kind of "star" pattern. It's actually pretty simple to use. You simply insert the head of your cigar into the body of the cutter with firm, but relatively easy pressure until you can't push further. You will hear the blades cut into the cap. Once you've done that, the cut is done and you can take the cigar out. This leaves the cap with 6 slits around the outside. The slits are nearly invisible in my experience but if you squeeze the cap with very slight pressure the slits open up (although this isn't necessary in order to draw from the cigar). However, the company states that the whole idea behind controlling your draw is to squeeze open the slits more or less if you need to open it up. All the instructions for use were included with the cutter I bought.

So in my experience, this cutter delivers on at least some of the maker's claims. I did find that my cigar didn't feel as hot as I'm used to even within 3 inches of being done. However, this may be a matter of perception. Since the cap wasn't open, the heat isn't being vented through a big opening. Still, having the cigar and smoke stay cooler for longer was pleasant. Where some might be turned off is how I found you need to position the cigar in your mouth in order to get a proper draw. Since I'm mostly used to guillotine cutters, I don't normally put the cigar very far into my mouth when I draw from it (since, with guillotines, the cap is cut on the very top end). Since this cutter puts the slits on the outside (otherwise known as the shoulder) of the cap, I had to put the cigar a little further in my mouth than I'm used to. However, I quickly got used to this within a few minutes and found that once I started into a habit of drawing "correctly", I did it without having to think about it.

What I'm not sure about is the truth behind the claims of the smoke being more flavorful and the burn more even than with another style of cut. The only way to truly test these claims, IMO, is to do a full field test where multiple cigars and cutters are used (although the cigars would probably have to all be the same kind). That said, I did find that the burn on my cigar was more consistently even than I'm used to and more quickly self-corrected, when it did start to become uneven, than I've seen before. Then again, that also could have resulted from the way the cigar was made. There's no question that whether you believe what the company tells you could easily be a matter of perception.

Personally, I definitely like this cutter and will be using it a lot more on different types of cigar vitolas since the idea is that it should work on nearly any cigar (e.g. torpedos, pyramids, etc.). If you like the idea of having different ways to cut your cigars and you like to try new things, I would definitely suggest giving this one a try.

The picture below clearly isn't pro but you get the idea...