Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #2161
Outlaw God
John 3:16

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (2)
Outlaw God is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I'm starting to realize the good old boy click here and hurt people hurt others with judgmental criticism, no need to waste my time with despairing old men

So one more for the flaming pinhole view of life crowd
4 year old Gurkhas with out wrapper and aged plume

Definition: Plume or bloom is a fine white powder or dust which forms on cigars when oils exude from the tobacco as a result of aging. Plume is a good sign that a cigar has been properly aged, and it can easily be brushed off.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #2162
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Well alrighty then.
Shovel used.
Fuel thrown.
Match lit.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #2163
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw God View Post
I'm starting to realize the good old boy click here and hurt people hurt others with judgmental criticism, no need to waste my time with despairing old men

Definition: Plume or bloom is a fine white powder or dust which forms on cigars when oils exude from the tobacco as a result of aging. Plume is a good sign that a cigar has been properly aged, and it can easily be brushed off.

Except that the picture above is showing mold. You can flame all you want at the CA Family Members, but that won't change the facts....

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #2164
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Yep, mold.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #2165
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:

So, if people disagree with your opinions and provide factual evidence to back it up, you now resort to name calling and insults? Are you so closed minded to that you cannot possibly admit that you may be wrong? Or should all here cast aside their knowledge and experience and genuflect before you?

Your quote only validates what I posted. That plume indicates cigars have been properly aged/stored. Plume does not add any flavor or richness to the cigar.

And, honestly, if you absolutely insist that the pictures you provided are not mold, then no amount of civil discourse will help you. I would be willing to bet that even your idol, Richard Hacker, would inform you it's mold. Here's an idea, post the picture and question to another half-dozen cigar communities and see what they have to say.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #2166
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

BTW, if we want to split hairs and say plume is proper aging, let's knock ourselves out but "proper" truly has nothing to do with it. It has to do with oils in the wrapper and the moisture it had when rolled/boxed.
So, if if that is considered proper aging when it is a natural process for cigars rolled and packaged in this manner, then yeah, they are aging properly when there is plume or, they are just doing what they were going to do anyway, if properly humidified, and kept stored long term.

Mold, is mold, is mold, generally from over humidification.

Old farts generally do know a few things or two. It's the failure of young ones to tap that knowledge and attempt to reinvent the wheel that is truly sad.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #2167
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Also moldy cigars....oils do not just spring out of a single spot and crystalize into a white puff my friend.

BTW, mold can also be easily brushed off and leave no marks on the wrapper.
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #2168
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoFlogged View Post
Also moldy cigars....oils do not just spring out of a single spot and crystalize into a white puff my friend.

BTW, mold can also be easily brushed off and leave no marks on the wrapper.
I agree those sticks are moldy. My experience has been plume seems to materialize more evenly not in one spot. Yes both mold or plume can be brushed off with out marking the wrapper unless the mold is really in an advanced stage. The flavor the sinus drip the light headed nausea are very good indicators as well that it is most likely mold.

One more thing not all of us are old farts! Hell I'm not over 50 yet.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #2169
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I know everyone is saying the same thing, but take a look at the cigar on the right. If it was plume, it would not be on the lower band as well, it would just be on the cigar.

That is definitely mold if it is growing on the band. Just brush it off, you should be fine. I would also check your humidity just to be safe.

I have received plenty of boxes that look worse than that. And once you brush them off, if your humidity is fine, it shouldn't come back.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #2170
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
I know everyone is saying the same thing, but take a look at the cigar on the right. If it was plume, it would not be on the lower band as well, it would just be on the cigar.

That is definitely mold if it is growing on the band. Just brush it off, you should be fine. I would also check your humidity just to be safe.

I have received plenty of boxes that look worse than that. And once you brush them off, if your humidity is fine, it shouldn't come back.
Good point, plume won't be on the band but mold will actually grow on the paper. Good catch.
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #2171
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

cigar.com has a nice post with pictures about the difference between mold and plume. There are pics, but also a very good description.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/630996/ShowThread.aspx
Old 08-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #2172
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
cigar.com has a nice post with pictures about the difference between mold and plume. There are pics, but also a very good description.

Mark,
Awesome article and photos right on point with the overwhelming consensus expressed on this thread.
Awesome post!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #2173
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Mark,
Awesome article and photos right on point with the overwhelming consensus expressed on this thread.
Awesome post!
I have to agree -- that is a great reference! Thanks for taking the time to find and share it.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #2174
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thanks for your patience's
In the photo below are some of my Cain cigars that are 4 years old note the plume on the unwrapped ones where plume is an indication of richer aging

For me a cellophane wrapped cigar is more protected but in this dramatic 4 year aging photo it dose to me show that unwrapped cigars do age faster (and it's NOT mold)
First off, as many have pointed out, that is mold on the Cains. Not because we are a good-old-boy clique or enjoy being disagreeable...but because it's a fact.

And if it were plume, you make the jump that this one case vaildates Hacker's erred hypothesis across the board. I had a nickel with Jefferson on both sides once, so I might assert that all nickels have two Jeffersons. I would be wrong.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #2175
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Damn, was never worried before but now I am a little, I have some cigars that have spotted white on them, that does wipe off with a wipe o the finger. I have other cigars in that same humidor that have been in there longer that do not have anything on them. My digital hydrometer says my sticks stay between 63-73 depending on the season. Am I ok?
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #2176
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

You can wipe the mold off any way you feel comfortable with: finger, soft cloth, etc.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #2177
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

I have to confess to being confused on the mold and plume analysis myself. Mold that is blue is only mold. White stuff is a bit more tricky. Plume is supposed to be crystals that appear on the wrapper and are basically sugar. White pockets can be mineral growths and are hard and stalky and tend to be all round splotches but furry white stuff is at best not right. As the article below will state wipe off white stuff and hope it doesn't return. Even if its not mold it tastes odd.

http://www.cigarjournal.co/index.php...-ausgabe201001

I recommend this article. My two cents.
Weelok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #2178
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

I've seen actual plume a few times...fwiw, I tend to dig through the cigars with plume to the second level. All it shows is proper storage, it doesn't make the cigar taste any better.

To me it kind of looks like when I get a little too friendly at the strip club...the cigars have a glitter-like shimmer over the entire wrapper where the oils have come to the surface and crystallized.

Found a good pic:
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #2179
mk05
Have My Own Room

mk05 will become famous soon enough

NOOOO Outlaw God, don't listen to these trollers and haters! You are correct! You keep doing you baby.

Cello OFF! YOU GOT PLUME! Gurkha 4 life!

The icehog has never had the opportunity to experience the indelible flavors that is the Gurkha...whatever that is you got there.

And Huy posted the picture of Mandy Patinkin from the show Homeland. I don't think that's the author...unless that's his pseudonym. In which case, I believe him, just look how full that beard is!

PS - did you guys know that Mandy Patinkin was Inigo Montoya from Princess Bride? Life changing news, I know.

Last edited by mk05; 08-10-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: trollolol
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #2180
mk05
Have My Own Room

mk05 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post

That is definitely mold if it is growing on the band.
Don't listen to him Outlaw God. He is WRONG.

The powder is indeed plume. Plume not from tobacco mind you, but from the solidifying flavorings and additives that were applied on the Gurkha tobacco to deliver its incredible flavors. We need to educate these folks. Do you have more pictures of other cigars?
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote