Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default First personal firearm thread

So I am not a newb to weapons. My dad had guns growing up and we used to do target practice in the fields and forests around my house. I also was in the military, was an expert with the M16 (I don't think that is saying much), I have fired 60's SAW's 9 mils. I was also an armorer in the military so I am familiar with disassembling and reassembling weapons, or I have the know-how and comfort to figure out how to maintain, clean, and repair a weapon.

So here is my question. I am looking for a first personal firearm. Not a rifle, I am looking for a handgun. And I am not looking to drop a fortune on some 'special' weapon. So what do you think? My interest in purchasing a firearm is for personal (and family) safety, and secondarily for target practice or fun shooting.

Thanks ahead of time for all input.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: First personal firearm thread

I have no say in what I carry on the job, but for my off duty handgun my choice is a Sig Sauer P220 45. Excellent weapon, accurate, well made, won't break the bank, with adequate stopping power.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

I've been using a Springfield XD-9 for 3 years now and absolutely love it. Great price, very accurate and can take a beating and keep on performing well.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys!

I also want to know about gun safes that you guys use. I have kids in the house. And I WILL not be one of those that end up on the news because of an 'accident' at home.

I am ALL about safety when it comes to my kids, maybe in excess. My wife calls me the Boat Nazi, because of how serious I am about boating safety. Boating is all about having fun, but not at the expense of safety.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Absolutely take every precatuion with kids at home.

I can't speak for gun safes, as I don't have kids....mine is within arm's reach while I sleep, armed and ready...I would need to rethink that if I had children.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
kaelaria
Cigarobsession.com Baby!

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann
kaelaria is on a distinguished road

Can't help with the safe - I do keep some of mine in a nightstand safe with a digital pop release, but if the kids find the key...(I don't have any)

I still go back to the Sig P229 after trying many others and still owning others. Most new shooters however like the Sig Pro better when I bring them to a range, but the P229 just shoots better in my hand. It's a very personal choice, there's no substitute for range time with a whole bunch of potentials - start renting!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
So I am not a newb to weapons. My dad had guns growing up and we used to do target practice in the fields and forests around my house. I also was in the military, was an expert with the M16 (I don't think that is saying much), I have fired 60's SAW's 9 mils. I was also an armorer in the military so I am familiar with disassembling and reassembling weapons, or I have the know-how and comfort to figure out how to maintain, clean, and repair a weapon.

So here is my question. I am looking for a first personal firearm. Not a rifle, I am looking for a handgun. And I am not looking to drop a fortune on some 'special' weapon. So what do you think? My interest in purchasing a firearm is for personal (and family) safety, and secondarily for target practice or fun shooting.

Thanks ahead of time for all input.
Kirk,

One of the guns I first had and had a load of fun with is a regular slab side Government .45 acp. I would not go with Colt (highly overpriced) but Springfield Armory. With your experience with weapons this would be a lot of fun to tweak it and put night sights, grips, extended safeties, trigger jobs, etc. good home defense gun, from the safety issue you can have the mag out, hammer down on an empty chamber....and yet get it into battery very quickly by putting the mag in and racking the slide; not something very easily done by children....How old are you kids?
But above all you need to be comfortable with the weapon; I have always suggested to people I know to go to a range that rents the guns and try out several.
I love the .45 caliber....and love the simplistic nature of the old slab side venerable government .45. This gun won't break the bank either.

Let us know what you choose...
Best to you and yours,
K

Never forget raising kids in a home with a gun...it's about training them to respect them (the earlier the better) as the tools they are...and not toys....you already know that but others might read this also.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

http://i10.tinypic.com/29oigqu.jpg

This is what my buddy uses and has it attached under the night stand, Google 'handgun safe' and it will show up. I only have shotguns and the one I keep ready is trigger locked but I myself will be getting a handgun soon and this safe is what I plan on getting
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
http://i10.tinypic.com/29oigqu.jpg

This is what my buddy uses and has it attached under the night stand, Google 'handgun safe' and it will show up. I only have shotguns and the one I keep ready is trigger locked but I myself will be getting a handgun soon and this safe is what I plan on getting
Yup got that gun!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I love my glock 19. NEVER ever had any malfunctions. It will eat any ammo you throw at it . PLUS is wont leave you homeless at about $500+\-

I have this save in my night stand. Its very small and purpose made. Keypad for easy entry, and keyed lock if the battery dies.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3541266
Old 06-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #11
Azpostal
Feeling at Home

First Name: Don
Trading: (9)
Army (Served With Honor)
Azpostal is on a distinguished road

I think one of the best values out there for handguns are any SA XD. I have both the 9mm and 40mm and they shoot straight right out of the box.
Azpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #12
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

There are lots of good firearms out there. If you have a range that rents firearms I suggest trying different ones to see what works best for you. Guns are like smokes, not everyone likes the same thing. I have a Glock 23 sitting under the pillow right next to me, but I like it because there's no external safeties to get in the way. But I have no kids and don't worry about such things.

If you have kids in the house look into a safe that bolts under the bed like the gunvault. It will keep a gun locked up but easily accessed in your bedroom. I have a large safe for my guns in the "Armory" room. If you want a full size safe Costco has a decent one on sale right now.

Hope you find what works for ya.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:27 AM   #13
Flat4boxer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (4)
Montecristo Army (Retired)
Flat4boxer will become famous soon enough

Get what you are comfortable with and can opperate easily. Several good guns have been mentioned already and you could not go wrong with any of them. A Smith and Wesson M&P is also a good choice. Compare price and find something that fits well in your hand and you'll be just fine.

I have a Liberty safe 24cf. Just like humidors, buy more safe than you think you'll need.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #14
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

For home defense I have a Ruger Security Six. It is simple, reliable, a blast to shoot for practice, and can be found (used) in great shape for about $350. I also keep a Mossberg 500 under the bed.

For a carry pistol I love my SW Airweight 38. It is not much fun for practice but is light/small enough to be a everyday concealed carry.

Lots of options out there, but those work for me. For straight up home defense though a shotgun has a lot of plusses.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
Flat4boxer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (4)
Montecristo Army (Retired)
Flat4boxer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post

Lots of options out there, but those work for me. For straight up home defense though a shotgun has a lot of plusses.
I concour with Gator on that point as well.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #16
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I recommend a Glock 23 (.40 S&W). It is a great size without sacrificing stopping power. I love the fact that there are no safeties. Also, if you can't afford to shoot .40's all the time, you can buy a 9mm barrel and some 9mm mags and shoot 9mm. Then you have a Glock 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
That is a great safe to use
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #17
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough

I've got the same issue with a kid in the house. You want the weapon secure, but accessible if you need it. I've got a small gun vault as others have referenced.

Personally, I've got a Glock 26 for range and HD. I use 17 rd mags with a grip extender. The other one I've been looking at is a Bersa Thunder in 45acp. I've shot a friends, and it was a nice gun at a good price.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #18
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I forgot to add.... Don't buy anything that says Taurus on it.

I have a revolver that is complete crap and the cust. serv. says they fixed it, but they didn't.

Stay away!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #19
Moglman
tongue tied and twisted

First Name: Scott
Trading: (7)
RG
Moglman will become famous soon enough

My primary weapons are a Sig P229 and a Sig P239, both in .40 because they fit me, are 100% reliable and are of incredible workmanship. Find a range that will rent you different guns to try. Your decision should be based on what feels right in your hand and what feels right during live fire.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #20
akakirby
Feeling at Home

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (20)
akakirby is on a distinguished road

Glock 19 would be my choice.
akakirby is offline   Reply With Quote