Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Does this sound right to you?

Me and my wife went to a local B&M Friday night and I was looking at their selection and was pretty impressed at what they had.

I asked the guy if he had any Opus X (thinking I would be laughed out of the store) he said sure and he pulls out a single stick in a box, a sealed box and a 3 pack. I told him I had heard these were hard to find, since the Cigar Haven didn't have them when I asked a couple weeks back. He said they are a big supplier of them and they always keep them in stock.

Anyway, onto the question at hand. A single stick was $22....that didn't sound unreasonable, but 3 sticks was $92.71!!!! Now does that sound right to anyone else?

I also asked to look at his digital hygrometers and he had one and it was a small one for $35!!

I then looked at humidifiers, the cheapest one was a 50ct desktop for $110.

Does this place sound too high or what? Or am I just that much of a noob?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Does this sound right to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Me and my wife went to a local B&M Friday night and I was looking at their selection and was pretty impressed at what they had.

I asked the guy if he had any Opus X (thinking I would be laughed out of the store) he said sure and he pulls out a single stick in a box, a sealed box and a 3 pack. I told him I had heard these were hard to find, since the Cigar Haven didn't have them when I asked a couple weeks back. He said they are a big supplier of them and they always keep them in stock.

Anyway, onto the question at hand. A single stick was $22....that didn't sound unreasonable, but 3 sticks was $92.71!!!! Now does that sound right to anyone else?

I also asked to look at his digital hygrometers and he had one and it was a small one for $35!!

I then looked at humidifiers, the cheapest one was a 50ct desktop for $110.

Does this place sound too high or what? Or am I just that much of a noob?
The Opus X price was a bit too high. I think when I went to Pipes by George to buy my first I believe I only paid 14 or 15 for it plus tax, and he had those tins for like 50 or 60.

Many places will try to jack up the price of "super limited" cigars that aren't very limited. *cough cigar.com cough*

The hygrometer price is about right depending on what it was. We sell our Xikar hygrometers for 32.95. If it was one of the Madelaine ones then they were over charging by 15 bucks, when we had them in stock they were goin for 20.95.

Humidors thats about right, its hard to find a "cheap" humidor offline, when you buy from a B&M you get the added security that it wont be damaged when it gets to you, and the seal is just right, you can't do that online.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Without knowing the brands of the Hygrometer and Humidor, those prices could be spot on or way over priced.

The Opus' seem a bit over priced. Like Bear said, those three packs usually go for $50ish depending on your state tax and such.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. I didn't look at the make of the hygrometer or the humid, but I knew. That price on the Opus couldn't be right.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Just buy three singles!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Those prices are in line with what we pay out here in Cali. $20-30 for single OpusX.
Posted via Mobile Device
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

If it's a Perfecxion A then it's a good deal.

If it's a Double Corona then it's only over by a couple dollars.

everything else (just the opus basic line) then it's a little steep.

Just buy 3 sticks at $22 each ($66.00) if they'll let you.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

They only had 1 stick and the 3 were in a metal looking case
Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

My B&M sells all Opus X at higher prices than that. I think it depends where your from. If you have multiple B&M's in the area, chances are prices are going to be lower.

BTW, my B&M also has whole boxes of aged Opus X on hand, but the prices are pretty insane.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
My B&M sells all Opus X at higher prices than that. I think it depends where your from. If you have multiple B&M's in the area, chances are prices are going to be lower.

BTW, my B&M also has whole boxes of aged Opus X on hand, but the prices are pretty insane.
So they'll just keep on aging then huh? Oughta be right nice when someone decides to drop the coin on em.

Ive found one B&M that sells them around me and they're prices are all reasonable at $12-15.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

A b&m in my area has them ranging from $15 to really expensive. They don't gouge too much, and those tins are $69 I think? For the robustos three pack. I haven't been there in so long though that I don't know the prices exactly.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

I am lucky enough to have a store on the Indian reservation were i live that sells opus and has them in pretty regularly. They are not required to charge state tx so they go any where from $8 -$16 depnding on the size . the tins usually go between $40 and $50 depending on size. Anywhere else in NYS they are way over priced due in part to the tax.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

I would NEVER buy a humidor in a B&M where there were cigars being regularly smoked. Further, I wouldn't buy one that was displayed opened (months at a time). Too much might have gotten into the wood (humidors should smell like tobacco, not stale smoke). Worse, if displayed open for a long period of time, the wood might be too dry or cracked, which you wouldn't want.

Given the number of reliable vendors out there (cigarsintl.com quickly comes to mind) that will stand behind their sales, you will easily pay half of what a B&M charges. Just be sure to research their return policy.

I do OCCASIONALLY go to a B&M, and appreciate the role they play in cigar smokers' lives, but there is a limit on the amount I will want to spend for the privilege of patronage. The markup on humidors is obscene, IMHO. This is only one person's observation, and I am sure there are those B&Ms who charge a more reasonable (i.e. Online) price.

I kind of feel the same way about movie theatre refreshments. Given shrinking margins, the owners are forced to recapture profits in other areas. Do I always avoid a movie theatre? No, but I would want to be driven to see the movie before parting with my dollars. If it is a mediocre film, or one I am mildly interested in, I will wait for Red Box or Netflix.

As for Opus, those prices seem about right, unfortunately. Some B&Ms will attend to the suggested MSRP set by the Fuentes, whereas others do not. I would expect the recent barn fires to put a tighter pinch on the high end Fuentes products.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Does this sound right to you?

Quote:
Me and my wife
No, it should be "my wife and I"
Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

The tin seems way to high price. I have one in the humi and I believe I paid $50 for it on a trip to St. Louis. You can try Carmacks they usually have some FF Opus X starting at $14 and usually have quite a few in stock (no special edition though). Indy cigar bar was out of stock the last I checked but the prices are a bit more. I don't know the truth to this but I heard the next shipment of Opus X is due in September may be a better selection then. If I could make it to the herf I would bring you one
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Pirate View Post
The tin seems way to high price. I have one in the humi and I believe I paid $50 for it on a trip to St. Louis. You can try Carmacks they usually have some FF Opus X starting at $14 and usually have quite a few in stock (no special edition though). Indy cigar bar was out of stock the last I checked but the prices are a bit more. I don't know the truth to this but I heard the next shipment of Opus X is due in September may be a better selection then. If I could make it to the herf I would bring you one
Want my address?

Wade, nice ya got me on my English, my HS teacher would have busted me too.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

His prices are WAY overboard, steer clear of that scumbag.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Frankly if I were buying Opus X, the secondary market on the common production ones is not bad at all. Especially if you can get them with age on them.

I think locally all I saw was the Petit Lancero and they were about $14 each. After tax probably $16.50 or so per single.

In general, with my experience, while it would be nice to support your local B&M.....I've found you really need to look into who exactly you are supporting. Case in point this guy that tried to charge $30 for Opus X.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
Neens
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (21)
Montecristo
Neens will become famous soon enough

Thats one of the the B+M here wants $50 for a double robusto. Funny thing is I saw the side profile of the box on the top shelf, new it was an opus and the size just from that and he still thought I would pay that much for a stick.
Neens is offline   Reply With Quote