Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough
Default Ayslum Dragon's Milk

Received an email today for a "special" offer on these smokes, but I've never heard of them. Anyone have any experience with them? Good? Bad? They sound right up my alley, but wanted to see if any feedback first. Thanks.

Asylum Dragon's Milk (7"x52) - box of 25
MSRP: $425
web price: $382.50
your price: $149.99 W/FREE SHIPPING!

Created by cigar industry legend Christian Eiroa, who is responsible for the '94' rated Camacho brand, Asylum Cigars offer cigar enthusiasts a "refuge from reality, " and their latest concoction is one hearty treat. A collaboration between New Holland Brewing and Asylum Cigars, the creators of the '94' rated Asylum Premium 2012, this limited production cigar is aged in the same barrels used for the Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout. Crafted by the Michigan-based New Holland Brewing Company, Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout is aged in bourbon barrels resulting in a stout beer with added notes of oak and vanilla. Absorbing all the rich flavors of oak and vanilla from the bourbon barrels as well as the darker notes of espresso and chocolate from the stout, Asylum Dragon's Milk is a medium to full-bodied Nicaraguan puro full of well-aged long-fillers and finished with a hearty Habano wrapper.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ayslum Dragon's Milk

Right away when I see "275 dollars off" anything … it makes me seriously question the MSRP, sounds like it was never a serious number and only meant as a marketing ploy. They MUST be good, hell that's the same price as a box of Cohiba - Esplendidos!

That being said, nope never heard of them.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I saw those at a local B&M last week. Didn't pick any up though, so can't give you my thoughts on the stick. Being a fan of Dragon's Milk beer myself, I am intrigued. And I don't usually do flavored cigars.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Sound like Charlie Sheen's go-to stogie.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

It's a great beer but idk about the cigar.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Dux
Lebowski Urban Achiever!

Trading: (24)
Partagas
Dux has disabled reputation

Review

http://halfwheel.com/review-asylum-dragons-milk

Snagged text from the review, seems to be a beer infused cigar

"Earlier this year, Tom Lazuka of Asylum Cigars told us about an incredibly interesting project. He would be partner with New Holland Brewing Co. of Holland, Mich. to create a cigar that would be aged in the barrels used to produce the brewery’s Dragon’s Milk.

New Holland Dragon’s Milk is a milk stout aged in bourbon barrels. It comes in at 10-11 percent ABV and is available throughout the year. In the earlier parts of the year, Lazuka informed us that the Asylum Dragon’s Milk cigar would be one of the company’s featured releases at the IPCPR Convention & Trade Show in July, but as it turns out, the barrels didn’t even make it to Nicaragua until last month.

The Asylum Dragon’s Milk cigars were rolled like any other cigar, it’s what happens after the cigars are rolled that is unique. Both Lazuka and his partner in Asylum, Christian Eiroa, told me that the next process—placing the cigars in the barrels—required a learning curve. Eiroa wasn’t sure if the cigars would age for 24 hours, 48 hours or a point in between, but he was quite clear—the barrels were very pungent. In the end the 7 x 52 parejos would age for 48 hours before being banded and shipped to the U.S.

A total of 10 barrels were sent to Nicaragua for the first batch, enough to produce 25,000 total cigars. The Asylum Dragon’s Milk is a regular production release with Lazuka telling me he plans on making a similar-sized batch every quarter unless demand says otherwise. The cigars are packaged in 25-count boxes that resemble milk cartons and are priced at $17 per cigar or $425 per box"
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

interesting idea about aging the barrels. Is that common?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Love the beer, one of my favorites. Not a fan of infused or flavored cigars, and certainly not at $17 apiece. It they had one at the local B&M for 6-7 bucks, I'd give it a shot out of curiosity.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Excellent beer, great for drinking, but I think I'll pass on trying to smoke it
Old 03-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #10
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Thanks; think I'll pass too. I might try one out of curiosity but not a box. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #11
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

I like cigar flavored cigars.

And beer flavored beer.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
Sooner
Formerly JJCigarReview

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (0)
PL
Sooner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
I like cigar flavored cigars.

And beer flavored beer.
That just makes too much sense!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:41 AM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

These aren't flavored cigars in the strict sense.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:43 AM   #14
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

I had one a couple months after they hit the market.... made it about 2 inches in and tossed it. It wasn't for me, but i do know a hand full of people that enjoy them.

I enjoyed the beer but not the cigar.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #15
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Thanks for all the feedback; as Moses said, I wasn't thinking these were flavored as I can't stand truly flavored cigars. I was thinking more like the Kentucky fired with a hint of tastes. The Nic puro and habano wrapper was what grabbed me initially to think of these as a possible. unless there were raved reviews, I was going to pass.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
interesting idea about aging the barrels. Is that common?
Not sure who else does it, but Fuente does. The Anejo tobacco is aged in used cognac casks.

http://www.arturofuente.com/Anejo.html
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Not sure who else does it, but Fuente does. The Anejo tobacco is aged in used cognac casks.

http://www.arturofuente.com/Anejo.html
I know Habanos creates some "brews" which are used in the fermenting/curing process particular to certain marca's, but can't speak on much detail about it.

Perhaps someone else here knows about it.

I don't conider aging a cigar in a wooden barrel to be the same as "flavored cigars" even though it is imparting a flavor to the cigar.

Every step of the curing process is imparting some kind of flavor (or taking it away).
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I know Habanos creates some "brews" which are used in the fermenting/curing process particular to certain marca's, but can't speak on much detail about it.

Perhaps someone else here knows about it.

I don't conider aging a cigar in a wooden barrel to be the same as "flavored cigars" even though it is imparting a flavor to the cigar.

Every step of the curing process is imparting some kind of flavor (or taking it away).
I too have heard of the alleged treatments along with misting or wiping down of the finished cigar with a treatment, but don't know which, if any, marques or cigars from the Habanos portfolio get this treatment or what exactly they are using.

I recall an interview with Rolando Reyes Sr. from like 20 years back where he spoke of learning these treatments in Cuba before he emigrated, and was using these treatments on his tobaccos. He wasn't very specific, he did make a point that it was rum and other herbs/spices and "nothing artificial".

Like you, I don't consider aging in a used barrel a big deal. Yes, it's an infusion of flavors, but nothing like how some cigars are sprayed or dipped with a concentrated (artificial) flavoring agents to make that the predominate flavor.

Such being said, I don't think I would ever smoke this particular cigar. I don't see anything wrong with what was created here, but there is simply nothing about it which appeals to me.

Last edited by T.G; 03-23-2016 at 10:22 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #19
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Tried one of the DE KFC "cigars", right off the bat it smelled like a house fire caused by an oil tank explosion, things only went down hill when I lit the beast up, I got about 1/2 hit in and was done, this is why firefighters where ventilator masks.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #20
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Love the beer, one of my favorites. Not a fan of infused or flavored cigars, and certainly not at $17 apiece. It they had one at the local B&M for 6-7 bucks, I'd give it a shot out of curiosity.
This. If I'm in my B&M and looking to spend $17 on a cigar, I'm looking at Padrons, Ashtons, T52s, or Davidoffs. I don't have the cash flow to gamble on something that might get tossed after 1/2".