Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
MHat

Default Humidor Advise for a beginner

I have previously bought one to two cigars at a time, but have recently decided to purchase a humidor. It's a little overwhelming. I thought that I had is narrowed down to the Art Deco -
http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product...92/pc/8389.uts
However, I just read a review that said the Hygrometer didn't work properly and that it got worse over time. Does anyone know anything about this humidor?

It has everything I want. I want a dark wood, glass top, external hygrometer, with a lock that will hold anywhere between 50-150 cigars. If you think this is a bad decision, what is a good buy with a budget of 100-150?

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Humidor Advise for a beginner

Visit the devil site or Cheaphumidors.com

Buy the biggest one you can afford. You're welcome !
Old 12-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Welcome aboard!

You may want to check through some of the sticky threads for humidor suggestions. A few "conventional wisdom" comments about your particular humidor:

1. Generally, analog hygrometers (with hands) are so innaccurate as to be useless. But, if you want one hanging off your 'dor, its OK with me!

2. Thompson's is not usually regarded as the best place to do business with. They are very aggresive in their after-marketing.

3. If you ever have a problem with a leak, the glass top will be one of your first suspects.

There are many sources of 'dors to be found by searching in the forums.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Welcome aboard!

You may want to check through some of the sticky threads for humidor suggestions. A few "conventional wisdom" comments about your particular humidor:

1. Generally, analog hygrometers (with hands) are so innaccurate as to be useless. But, if you want one hanging off your 'dor, its OK with me!

2. Thompson's is not usually regarded as the best place to do business with. They are very aggresive in their after-marketing.

3. If you ever have a problem with a leak, the glass top will be one of your first suspects.

There are many sources of 'dors to be found by searching in the forums.

captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montano View Post
Visit the devil site or Cheaphumidors.com

Buy the biggest one you can afford. You're welcome !
Toss the foam type humidifier that comes with most humidors and get beads. Search around here for the beads. Shilala here has some good ones. Make sure your humidor seals tight. A leaky humidor is a constant fight.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
druturn

Analog hygrometers are nothing more than a pretty shiny piece of brass and glass in my opinion! Invest in a xikar or caliber III digital hygrometer, they will never fail you!(But if by some chance they do, they come with generous warranties!)
Old 12-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
MHat

Thanks for the advise. I am not married to the Glass top idea. If they often are the cause of leaks I would prefer to stay away. My thoughts on a glass top where that I would not have to open it and let the moisture out to look at my stogies.

I would rather buy a better quality humi that will hold 50 cigars for $150, rather than a middle of the road humi that holds 150 for the same price. I may smoke 1-2 cigars a week. Any thoughts on the best qaulity box that will hold around 50?

Also, what is the devil site?

Thanks again for the advise. It is a lot of help.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHat View Post
Thanks for the advise. I am not married to the Glass top idea. If they often are the cause of leaks I would prefer to stay away. My thoughts on a glass top where that I would not have to open it and let the moisture out to look at my stogies.

I would rather buy a better quality humi that will hold 50 cigars for $150, rather than a middle of the road humi that holds 150 for the same price. I may smoke 1-2 cigars a week. Any thoughts on the best qaulity box that will hold around 50?

Also, what is the devil site?

Thanks again for the advise. It is a lot of help.
Here is a good glass-top 150 count. http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-150G.html and upgrade to a digital hygro for $20 more. I have several of it's 500 count bigger brother that they don't make anymore and I love 'em. I would advise to go as big as you can afford. If you stick around here, you will acquire many more cigars than you think you will.

Lord forgive me, the devil site is cigarbid.com. In advance....
Old 12-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post

Here's a good thread to help point you in the right direction (it's a sticky):

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

do your self a favor and by a cooler for about 20-30 $ and let your fund grow, you'll out grow a 150 count way to fast, at least if you hang around here much you will ....oh dam just got out bid gotta go
Old 12-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by druturn View Post
Analog hygrometers are nothing more than a pretty shiny piece of brass and glass in my opinion! Invest in a xikar or caliber III digital hygrometer, they will never fail you!(But if by some chance they do, they come with generous warranties!)
I am not sure how this misconception arose. Analog hygrometers have been used for over 100 years. Once properly calibrated an analog hygrometer is just as accurate as any digital device. An uncalibrated digital hygrometer is just as likely to be inaccurate as an uncalibrated analog piece.

As for humidors, I would avoid anything that has a hygrometer mounted to the front or top of the box. An extra hole has to be cut to allow these access and is a possible location for a future leak. This is also why most say to avoid glass top units. As the wood shrinks and contracts it can allow air inside. But in high quality glass top humidor this should not be a problem. I prefer a simple box humidor, not as pretty but less likely to have issues. Eventually you will also need box storage, plastic coolers and wine refrigerators are less expensive than a large cabinet humidor.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #12
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I am not sure how this misconception arose. Analog hygrometers have been used for over 100 years. Once properly calibrated an analog hygrometer is just as accurate as any digital device. An uncalibrated digital hygrometer is just as likely to be inaccurate as an uncalibrated analog piece.

<snip>
I need to carefully add some caveats to this. It is certainly true that hygrometers predate the digital age and were in use for a long time. As an aside, they often used horse hair as the element that changed length in relation to the RH, causing the needle to move. And they can be calibrated and accurate as you suggest. This said, I have yet to find one on an $150 humidor that can be reasonably calibrated in the first place. So, as a practical matter, folks are better off with a cheap digital model.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #13
sofaman
Feeling at Home

HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

I have would avoid anything with a glass top every one I have had had leaked bad
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
Joseywales

I think we are similar, in that this is NOT a huge hobby for me. Still, once I found a couple reasonably priced (varies b budget) cigars I liked, I wanted to buy a box of each. So, just like that, I'm at 50. Then, there are those that I really like, but are expensive, so I have only a couple of each. Bang, I'm at 75. Then there are the testers. These are cigars I'm trying, which I'm convinced will never end. Shazam, I'm at 100. So that's a 40 count desktop and a smaller Igloo cooler. Then Christmas came and the inlaws gave me a gift certificate for the local cigar shop. So...guess what else I got for Christmas...an Avanti 28 bottle wine cooler.... I know others might disagree, but I doubt I'll ever outgrow that. again, I have other hobbies that draw too much cash for this one to get huge.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
I have would avoid anything with a glass top every one I have had had leaked bad
Glass tops just make it that much more difficult to hold a temperature also. Fun to sit and "watch the collection grow" but I would sure avoid any glass. Beads or Pillows are definitely the two best ways to humidify all but the largest cabinet style units where there are practical (and expensive) active options.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Glass tops just make it that much more difficult to hold a temperature also.
Totally disagree. I have three glasstops and the temp doesn't change anymore than my non-glass models.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #17
MHat

Thanks again for the advise. Does anyone know anything about the Romeo y Julieta Wine Rack Humidors? They have one at my local Corona Cigar Store for 299.99. See the link - http://www.coronacigar.com/img/img_pid656_cid11.html
Old 12-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHat View Post
Thanks again for the advise. Does anyone know anything about the Romeo y Julieta Wine Rack Humidors? They have one at my local Corona Cigar Store for 299.99. See the link - http://www.coronacigar.com/img/img_pid656_cid11.html

You can find just a way better humidor for way cheaper. You can find a vinotemp wine fridge online and shipped to your house cheaper than that. I wouldnt waste the money, my
Old 12-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

I have my glass humidor that is leaking bad. I can get it to 65% and then it drops. Im getting sick of messing with it. I have 1lb of beads in there, and it only needs like 5oz or so.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseywales View Post
I think we are similar, in that this is NOT a huge hobby for me. Still, once I found a couple reasonably priced (varies b budget) cigars I liked, I wanted to buy a box of each. So, just like that, I'm at 50. Then, there are those that I really like, but are expensive, so I have only a couple of each. Bang, I'm at 75. Then there are the testers. These are cigars I'm trying, which I'm convinced will never end. Shazam, I'm at 100. So that's a 40 count desktop and a smaller Igloo cooler. Then Christmas came and the inlaws gave me a gift certificate for the local cigar shop. So...guess what else I got for Christmas...an Avanti 28 bottle wine cooler.... I know others might disagree, but I doubt I'll ever outgrow that. again, I have other hobbies that draw too much cash for this one to get huge.
This is why its called the slope! Its so easy to underestimate your passion. Especially once you start refining your tastes and find that different cigars are better for different situations. Some evenings you may feel like a strong peppery cigar like a Tatuaje or other times something with a little less bit like a DPG Black may suit your mood. Your collection will also start to grow as you find cigars to gift to friends or participate in trades.

If you are looking for a furniture piece the RyJ Anniversary wine/humidor combos are a nice unit. But a more economical way to go is a nice 100count desktop for singles and coolers for bulk storage.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote