Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Pauly Walnuts

Default Re: Has anyone seen this Cohiba? Cohiba 40 Aniversario 1966-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
As you well know Cuban trademarks are not recognized in the United States. In the most recent case a Federal District judge has ruled for a second time in favor of Cubatobacco. But his original almost identical ruling was overturned on appeal. The appellate court ruled that due to the embargo a Cuban company could not own property in the US and that a trademark was property.

The company producing the "Cohiba" in question is most likely not even General Tobacco, but a small producer just trying to make a buck.

Anyone thinking they are buying a genuine Cuban Cohiba in a US B&M deserves whatever they get.

What about the other Cuban cigar names that are used by General or Altadis? Punch, Partagas, El Rey Del Mundo and others were originally owned by individuals in Cuba. Many left after the revolution because their property had been taken by the Cuban government.

I dont see this as a black and white issue, both sides have some legitimacy to their claims.
I didnt think that I was buying a Cuban cigar, I did think that it was a real Cohiba though, but not from Cuba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystepup View Post
NOWHERE on the boxes, nor on the sticks is the word "cohiba" anywhere... yes the symbol is there... but look at the "fleur de lis" its everywhere in the cigar world.. so theyre just using the symbol... other than that the cigar is not claiming to be a cohiba... sketchy marketing in my opinion... but again no where does this stick claim to be from cuba or say cohiba
He isnt trying to sell them as Cuban, but he did make a sign using Cohibas name so he is trying to use the name. I think he truly believes they are Cohiba. noone else seems to think so.