Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #21
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tragic shooting death involving off duty Detroit Police officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I guess you've never lived in Detroit, Brian.
Haha no, but if I felt like I had to walk around my own home with a loaded gun, I'd be looking for a new place to live I think.

Opinions and speculation aside, my heart goes out to her family. What a tragedy =(
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #22
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

I DO NOT KNOW THE OFFICER OR THE VICTIM INVOLVED IN THIS TRAGIC SHOOTING. I am only trying to see for myself if the stated way this happened is even possible.

This is truely a tragic accident that occured within my department. I feel for the victim, her family, and the officer. I just had this same decussion at my barbershop. I barber has a CPL and carries. He also has the same neoprene holster that the officer was using which is horrible and offers not locking mechanism. Their are several types of neoprene holsters, but the one which he was carrying is just like a drivers wet suit.

At the barbershop, I took my barbers neoprene holster , placed a pair of his scissors inside, handle in first and was able to easily pulled one of the loops of the scissors handle in a downward motion as if it was the trigger of a weapon.

In this first photo, it shows the compact version of the weapon that the officer was carrying, but more importantly, it shows my holster, when properly placed on the waistband, it is parallel to the ground.

Now this photo shows a pancake holster carrying the DPD issued S&W MP in a holster designed to point at a 45 degree angle to the ground.

Now imagine if someone was squatting and held on to your waistband for balance, then pulled themselves up using your waistband. Went doing this, you may have a natural instinct to clench your hand. The weapon is concealed under my shirt.

Same photo with my shirt raised up and my thumb is still on the trigger.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
HollywoodQue
Invictus

HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Now, this only shows that it is possible.

I can honestly say that in my opinion, I am 100 % sure that I DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
HollywoodQue
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
I would have two guns on me even while in the house if lived in the D.
Yeah man, it's a damn shane that it gotten this bad....but don't be fooled for a minute. The entire country is in bad shape.

@ Tom....man, I have been trying to move to West Bloomfield for over a year...just tried of all the nonsense in the streets.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Could it be possible the weapon came out of the holster, fell and discharged?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #26
HollywoodQue
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Could it be possible the weapon came out of the holster, fell and discharged?
Until the department does a complete investigation, anything is possible.

The bad thing about it all is that there is a dead, one day short of turning 25 years old, young lady.

Lets suppose the officer is cleared....I believe that he can still be sued by the family for Wrongful Death.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #27
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=HollywoodQue;1677022]Yeah man, it's a damn shane that it gotten this bad....but don't be fooled for a minute. The entire country is in bad shape.

I agree, the entire country is getting worse.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodQue View Post
@ Tom....man, I have been trying to move to West Bloomfield for over a year...just tried of all the nonsense in the streets.
Just makes me sad, Howard, my old neighborhood makes me want to cry.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #29
HollywoodQue
Invictus

Quote:
Just makes me sad, Howard, my old neighborhood makes me want to cry.
Me too Tom....I currently live in South Rosedale Park. There were judges, doctors, and police in the neighborhood when I moved here in 2000. The average cost of a home in this area was between 160K and 300k. It last appraised at $189k in 2003. A home 2 houses over is now listed for $26k. Damn....
Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
HollywoodQue
Invictus

I absolutly Love the City Tom. The downtown river walk is just a site of pure beauty brother. The buildings, trees, store fronts have never disappointed me, but these crazy azz #4%6&* are out of their mines.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I hear you, Howard....still can find patches of beauty on the East side....but the West side just brings a tear to my eye.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #32
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Moral of the story: Don't carry cocked with a round in the chamber. Use a revolver for safer self defense.
Makes no sense. A gun without a chambered round is a blunt trauma weapon. Go watch some of the videos out there of robberies where an employee has to chamber a round before shooting and gets shot multiple times. If its a hammer fired gun, cocked and locked. If it's striker fired(glock, xd, m&p) keep your bugger hook off the trigger and carry in a PROPER holster and it will not go bang.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #33
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Makes no sense. A gun without a chambered round is a blunt trauma weapon. Go watch some of the videos out there of robberies where an employee has to chamber a round before shooting and gets shot multiple times. If its a hammer fired gun, cocked and locked. If it's striker fired(glock, xd, m&p) keep your bugger hook off the trigger and carry in a PROPER holster and it will not go bang.
There is absolutly nothing that makes sense about about how the poor woman died.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #34
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
I agree and carry mine with a bullet in the chamber. If in the heat of the moment, you have to pull the gun, remember to pull the slide and then aim and shoot, you will likely be dead long before the bullet makes it to the chamber. Hope I never have to use it but if I do, it will be loaded. The trigger pull is so long, can't see it accidentally firing on me.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #35
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Howard, great pics and explanation! I can see that being harder to do with a stiffer/leather holster but if its one of these

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/i..._holsters.html

(if i posted it right)

I can definitely see it possible using the actions that you describe. Seeing in the above link how the Glock's trigger area is exposed and neoprene being being semi soft i can easily see a thumb or a finger getting in there.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #36
HollywoodQue
Invictus

Quote:
There is absolutly nothing that makes sense about about how the poor woman died.
It never makes sense when anyone is killed. All of it is saddening brother.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #37
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

[quote=Blueface;1677059 If in the heat of the moment, you have to pull the gun, remember to pull the slide and then aim and shoot, you will likely be dead long before the bullet makes it to the chamber. [/QUOTE]

Unless you train consistently that way, Carlos. In the heat of the moment, one who trains regularly will revert back to how he trains instinctually. I train in the range, with my off-duty weapon, to draw, rack and fire.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #38
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Unless you train consistently that way, Carlos. In the heat of the moment, one who trains regularly will revert back to how he trains instinctually. I train in the range, with my off-duty weapon, to draw, rack and fire.
I think you have a clear advantage in that most folks won't practice as much as someone in law enforcement does.
I hit the rang twice a month on average.
I try to practice drawing regularly but since my carry is a Ruger LCP, with that small slide, not sure I can practice enough to be comfortable.
I want to get something bigger like a Glock 26 for more times than not and would definitely feel better racking that slide in a bind.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #39
HollywoodQue
Invictus

Quote:
Yeah Tom, and if one trains constantly and you find yourself in a possible shoot out, my weapon always appears in my hand, chambered, aiming, and ready to fire and guess what, I don't even remember drawing it, it was automatically in my hand. Wow.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #40
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodQue View Post
Yeah Tom, and if one trains constantly and you find yourself in a possible shoot out, my weapon always appears in my hand, chambered, aiming, and ready to fire and guess what, I don't even remember drawing it, it was automatically in my hand. Wow.
Exactly, Howard.