Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Illusione Singularé 2012 Maduro?

Today's review is for a cigar that had been hinted at for awhile, but nobody thought was going to be released anytime soon. That was until Dion Giolito, owner of Illusione Cigars, tweeted that the cigars began being shipping to retailers on July 13th. The 2012 version of the Singularé comes packed in a box containing two different cigars. This one (the maduro) and another of the same size and shape, but with a natural wrapper.

Quote from Dion about the Singularé 2012 Maduro: This was one of the blends I put together while in Miami at our “playpen.” The blend to this cigar is specific to 2 farms in Esteli, and one in Jalapa. The wrapper is maduro, San Andreas. This cigar is completely different in blend and taste profile from the Corojo 2011/2012 that sits next to it in the box.

The original Singularé was a fantastic stick that I don't think received as much publicity as it deserved. Despite everyone I know who smoked enjoying it very much, it still didn't seem to gain the following other small batch releases have had in the past few years. Let's see how this release stacks up.

Specifics
Vitola: Parejo
Length: 6
Ring Gauge: 50
Wrapper: Mexican San Andres
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $12.00
Smoking Location: NHC office
Beverage: water

Pre-Light

This is the first paper-wrapped cigar I have smoked in a long time. I'm not sure what the history is behind this tradition, but it gave it a pretty cool look and made the cigar feel just a hint more special. The maduro wrapper was dark brown and red color with a ton of small veins all over the leaf. The veins were so abundant that I thought it looked like a spiderweb. The aroma from the unlit cigar was full of raisin and coffee notes. The cold draw also tasted strongly of raisins.

First Third
Smooth was the name of the game when it came to the first third of my Singularé 2012 Maduro. The flavor profile consisted of a slight pepper and honey combo on the front, with a coffee and cream taste on the finish. Both were refined in complexity and, again, very smooth. It almost felt like the smoke was liquid floating across my palate. Speaking of the smoke, there was a lot of it. The two of us smoking in the NHC office filled the place in no time. Make sure you have a window cracked if you plan to smoke this stick indoors. The nicotine strength was in the medium to full range.

Second Third
The second third of my Singularé 2012 Maduro had a flavor change up on both ends of the profile. The front end still had some mild pepper taste, but it was now mixed in nicely with some dark baking chocolate flavor. This flavor is one I find I tend to get a lot when smoking sticks with Mexican San Andres wrappers. The finish which was cream and coffee before had evolved into more of a fresh espresso flavor with a bit of a bite. I drink a lot of espresso so you can imagine enjoyed this. What this flavor did do also is ruffen up a bit of the smooth texture that I got so much of in the first third. It didn't make it harsh or unpleasant, just a different texture than before. The nicotine strength level was still medium-full.

Final Third and Final Thoughts

There was nothing new to report in the final third. The flavors continued to be identical to the second third with a mild pepper and baking chocolate front, espresso finish. One thing I should mention that was the consistently flaky ash from start to finish. Keep your ashtray near or you'll be burning holes in your shirt in no time. The stick maintained a medium-full in strength.

Final thoughts on the Singularé 2012 Maduro? I was worried about this cigar before I smoked it because I was not a fan of the maduro releases from Illusione in 2011. I'm happy to report that, for me, this cigar was way better than those previous releases. The flavors were strong and enjoyable from start to finish. Another release from Dion that will be added to my rotation.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

Would I buy a box? Buying a box is almost like buying a sampler with the two different cigars in it. Yes, it's box-worthy.

for more pictures please visit http://tinyurl.com/cgkfbda

Dan

Last edited by danreeve; 07-24-2012 at 03:01 PM.
danreeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Illusione Singularé 2012 Maduro?

A picture of the original Singulare I saw on a review website is one of the reasons I found my way to the Cigar Asylum. Ironically, I have never smoked one.

Thanks for the review!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Duke9192

Great review. Trying to lock down a box now. Was able to smoke 1. It's was a good cigar & really made me want a box.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Mentallyrechartd
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (0)
Mentallyrechartd is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review, brother. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.
Mentallyrechartd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Great review and I agree, it's a great cigar and I think one of Dion's best. For the sake of clarity, my personal favorite Illusione is MK Ultra.

I love the original phantom and still have a five pack of them and when I'm in the right mood I'll fire them up. The latest Singulare is for me his best Singulare and a great example of a San Andreas wrapper.
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Natgolfer
Dazed and confused

First Name: Mel
Trading: (0)
RA AirForce (Served With Honor)
Natgolfer is on a distinguished road

Excellent review. Dion has created some wonderful cigars over the past few years. I will look for this one in my area. If you are ever in Reno, be sure to stop by Dion's cigar shop, Fumare. It is worth the trip, and Dion is an excellent host.
Natgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote