Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Whale trainer killed by whale at Sea World

I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. Orcas are extremely intelligent predators that eat seals/sea lions, even other whales that we keep up in tiny pens and force to do circus tricks day in day out. They're not dogs, and I think that sometimes the trainers get complacent and forget that they are dealing with extremely dangerous, wild animals that could eat them in one bite. It's a shame that someone died, and certainly terrible that it happened in front of a crowd full of kids, but she ought to have been a little more careful.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #22
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

What I heard on the radio this whale was not part of the show, he was brought in to breed.
One of his offspring has already killed someone.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

This is the third person this whale has killed.
The first person was a three-way kill where three whales ganged up and killed a trainer.
The whale's second kill was a bit bizarro. You might remember hearing about it in the news about ten years ago. Some goof broke into the zoo at night and somehow ended up in the tank with the whale. In the morning the whale was swimming around the tank with the dead guy draped over it's back.
The whale has been a problem since day one. Over the years it's grabbed a lot of trainers and dragged them under and hurt lots of people. He's high strung and tantrum-prone. He shouldn't be there, and I'm hoping some heads roll. It's a senseless, irresponsible death, and she was a good girl.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #24
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
sometimes the trainers get complacent and forget that they are dealing with extremely dangerous, wild animals that could eat them in one bite.
Trainers are actually not allowed in the water with this particular killer whale. It actually jumped from the water and dragged the trainer off the platform by her hair, so I don't think it was a case of complacency, Clayton.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #25
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

No statement from PETA? I mean, if a trainer killed one whale (let alone 3) they'd be demanding a public execution.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #26
kiwi michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Sad, but still better than being maimed by a gay white tiger while wearing a codpiece.
LMAO - now thats funny...........or did that actually happen.......and was it to you???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
This is the third person this whale has killed.
The first person was a three-way kill where three whales ganged up and killed a trainer.
The whale's second kill was a bit bizarro. You might remember hearing about it in the news about ten years ago. Some goof broke into the zoo at night and somehow ended up in the tank with the whale. In the morning the whale was swimming around the tank with the dead guy draped over it's back.
The whale has been a problem since day one. Over the years it's grabbed a lot of trainers and dragged them under and hurt lots of people. He's high strung and tantrum-prone. He shouldn't be there, and I'm hoping some heads roll. It's a senseless, irresponsible death, and she was a good girl.

A whale serial killer!! We just had a Lion kill his trainer in a Lion Park over here last year. Just goes to show no matter what relationship you think you have with a wild animal.....you probably don't.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #27
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
My condolences to her family. Killer whales are not pets. It is just like the lion tamer who sticks his head in the lions mouth. One day that lion is going to bite.
As unfortunate as it is, these are dangerous animals and it's in their nature to do these types of things.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #28
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
No statement from PETA? I mean, if a trainer killed one whale (let alone 3) they'd be demanding a public execution.
Posted via Mobile Device
Imbev, a Belgian beer company, recently bought Anheiser Busch, and is rumored to be selling off the parks and sticking with what they know; beer. I am wondering how these events are affecting Sea World's parent company and would guess a statement is forthcoming.

There was a wild rumor that PETA would buy and release some animals, including the whales.

This would be a far fetched idea for sure.

My feelings are mixed about captive wild animals, but feel horrible.

In any event, the death is horrible.

Last edited by floydpink; 02-25-2010 at 08:30 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:42 AM   #29
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
There was a wild rumor that PETA would buy and release some animals, including the whales.

This would be a far fetched idea for sure.

My feelings are mixed about captive wild animals, but feel horrible.

In any event, the death is horrible.
At two million a whale, I do not think so. PETA is a joke and no one takes them serious. If they weren't so over the top, maybe they could have some influence rather than people doing things in spite of PETA.

PETA is like the Klan issuing a statement. Very few if any are going to take action on their words, the rest think it's a joke.