Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #101
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Somali Pirates

Ok... now I see...

I have been mispronouncing it.

I have been saying SMELLY Pirates. My mistake.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #102
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sailor View Post
There are many ways to prevent boarding...we practice it all the time....for these ships, firehoses are the best bet.........if they get a boarding ladder up either cut it off, or a sledge hammer on top of the head as they come up works.
He mentioned the fire hoses, but his ship is too big to cover the boat. He's on a tanker with a crew of 25. They like to board when the ship is full of oil so the sides aren't that high.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #103
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

the Dutch navy captured a pirate mothership yesterday, but due to international laws they couldn't turn them in for justice, so they just took their weapons and let them go again International law should change, and quickly.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #104
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Trading: (5)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
the Dutch navy captured a pirate mothership yesterday, but due to international laws they couldn't turn them in for justice, so they just took their weapons and let them go again International law should change, and quickly.
That stinks!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #105
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

just read an update, the release of the pirates was ordered by NATO commander José Domingos Pereira da Cunha.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #106
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The pirates were detained, but allowed to go free after questioning.

There is currently no formal procedure for NATO personnel to follow once they have apprehended pirates, Davies noted. Their weapons are confiscated and they are then typically given provisions and released.
What a joke. I mean what's the purpose. I suppose the meeting went something like this:

NATO - "You guys pirates?"

Pirates - "Umm Yes, why yes we are."

NATO - "Oh, Okay. Well you are free to go. And here are some Cokes and burgers for your trip back. You want fries with that?"

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #107
BC-Axeman

Pardon me, but in my book "no formal procedures" means informal ones by default. History has examples of informal procedures to follow in such cases.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #108
darb85

why capture them? they run, send em to the bottom.

ok kinda extreme but better than giving them back
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #109
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

the pirates captured, disarmed and released by the Dutch last week have been captured by the 'government' of Somaliland, an independent part of Somalia, and been sentenced between 15 and 20 years in jail.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #110
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Did you guys see this one?

This is an MSC ship, very popular cruise line in Europe and the Caribe.

Italian cruise ship thwarts pirate attackUPDATED: 08:09 AM EDT 04.26.09*The captain of an Italian cruise ship foiled an attack by pirates off the coast of Somalia on Saturday by ordering his security crew to fire back, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.Six armed pirates in a speedboat attacked the ship, which had about 1,500 people onboard, ANSA said. They fled after the security crew fired back.The cruise ship Melody, which is owned by an Italian company, was on its way back to Italy after a cruise, ANSA said.No one was injured in the attack about 180 miles north of the Seychelles.Piracy is rampant off the coast of Somalia despite the presence of foreign navies. The area hardest hit off the coasts of Somalia and Kenya, including the Gulf of Aden, is more than 1.1 million square miles -- four times the size of the state of Texas
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #111
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Good for the crew of the Italian cruise ship....good guys win one.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #112
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
Did you guys see this one?

This is an MSC ship, very popular cruise line in Europe and the Caribe.

Italian cruise ship thwarts pirate attackUPDATED: 08:09 AM EDT 04.26.09*The captain of an Italian cruise ship foiled an attack by pirates off the coast of Somalia on Saturday by ordering his security crew to fire back, . . .
About damn time -

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #113
BC-Axeman

More! More!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #114
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/4802...f_somalia.html
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #115
mojo65
Relocation Engineer

First Name: mark
Trading: (4)
Punch
mojo65 is on a distinguished road

Seems the security team on the cruse ship was Israeli.....
Old 04-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #116
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Shamelessly cut and pasted from somewhere else, but amusing, if only in a joking way.
I was checking cruise lines because I heard the rates are very cheap right now.

I found a Somali cruise package that departs from Sawakin (in the Sudan ) and docks at Bagamoya (in Tanzania ).

The cost is a bit high @ 800 per person double occupancy but I didn’t find that offensive. What I found encouraging and enlightened is that the cruise is encouraging people to bring their 'High powered weapons' along on the cruise. If you don’t have weapons you can rent them right there on the boat. They claim to have a master gunsmith on board and will have reloading parties every afternoon. The cruise lasts from 4-8 days and nights and costs a maximum of $3200 per person double occupancy (4 days). All the boat does is sail up and down the coast of Somalia waiting to get hijacked by pirates.

Here are some of the costs and claims associated with the package.

$800.00 US/per day double occupancy (4 day max billing)

M-16 full auto rental $ 25.00/day ammo at 100 rounds of 5.56 armor piercing ammo at 15.95

Ak-47 riffle @ No charge. ammo at 100 rounds of 7.62 com block ball ammo at 14.95

Barrett M-107 .50 cal sniper riffle rental 55.00/day ammo at 25 rounds 50 cal armor piercing at 9.95

Crew members can double as spotters for 30.00 per hour ( spotting scope included).

They even offer RPG's at 75 bucks and 200 dollars for 3 standard loads

"Everyone gets use of free complimentary night vision equipment and coffee and snacks on the top deck from 7pm-6am."

Meals are not included but seem reasonable.

Most cruises offer a mini-bar... these gung ho entrepreneurs offer......... get this.....

"MOUNTED MINIGUN AVAILABLE @ 450.00 per 30 seconds of sustained fire"

They advertise group rates and corporate discounts...... and even claim "FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY"
They even offer a partial money back if not satisfied....here’s some text from the ad.

"We guarantee that you will experience at least two hijacking attempts by pirates or we will refund half your money back including gun rental charges and any unused ammo ( mini gun charges not included).. How can we guarantee you will experience a hijacking? We operate at 5 knots within 12 miles of the coast of Somalia . If an attempted Hijacking does not occur we will turn the boat around and cruise by at 4 knots. We will repeat this for up to 8 days making three passes a day along the entire length of Somalia . At night the boat is fully lit and bottle rockets are shot off at intervals and loud disco music beamed shore side to attract attention. Cabin space is limited so respond quickly. Reserve your package before April 29 and get 100 rounds of free tracer ammo in the caliber of your choice."

As if all that isn’t enough to whet your appetite, there were a few testimonials

“I got three confirmed kills on my last trip. I'LL never hunt big game in Africa again. I felt like the Komandant in Schindlers list!”---- Lars , Hamburg Germany

"Six attacks in 4 days was more than I expected. I bagged three pirates and my 12yr old son sank two rowboats with the minigun. PIRATES 0 -PASSENGERS-32! Well worth the trip. Just make sure your spotter speaks English"
Ned, Salt Lake city , Utah USA

"I haven’t had this much fun since flying choppers in NAM . Don’t worry about getting shot by pirates as they never even got close to the ship with those weapons they use and their shitty aim--reminds me of a drunken 'juicer' door gunner we picked up from the motor pool back in Nam" --"chopper'
Dan ----Toledo USA.

"Like ducks in a barrel. They turned the ship around and we saw them bleed and cry in the water like little girls. Saw one wounded pirate eaten by sharks--what a laugh riot!! This is a must do.--- Zeke-Minnahaw Springs Kentucky USA
Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #117
BC-Axeman

LOL!
The .50 cal ammo price seems unreal.
I'd go for the RPG and a M-16.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #118
mojo65
Relocation Engineer

First Name: mark
Trading: (4)
Punch
mojo65 is on a distinguished road

New souvenir hat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballcap.jpg (27.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #119
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Saw this elsewhere, and thought it would fit well here too.