Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu #5...

In general, I haven’t been a big fan of the Tatuaje brand. After a couple of failed attempts with two vitola’ in the Reserva class, the brand received a big frown from me. I expect cigars to come out singing whether it be ROTT or from the local B&M, and especially with the price and all the hype and spin placed on this brand. That’s just me though, always placing the bar high.

However, after a few samplings from the Havana VI class in recent months, my opinion has been swaying back towards a favorable status. Thus, the review on the Verocu #5…

Brand/Name: Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu #5
Shape: Perlas
Size: 4 x 40
Wrapper: Habano Ecuador
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: $4.65 @ Valencia News & Cigars, Valencia, CA

Drink: Water

Appearance/Construction: This is an attractive vitola featuring a dark brown wrapper that is slightly oily to the touch, some veins are noticed from foot to head, well constructed, firm with a soft spot felt at the ½ way mark. No bumps or markings were observed and this beauty is finished off with a Cuban triple-cap.

Flavor/Taste/Aroma: Rotating and passing the foot back and forth under my nose revealed a pre-light aroma of what appears to be hints of sweet cedar and spice, and the draw has some resistance with wood/earth taste. Once ignited, there is a copious amount of flavorable smoke that comes forth from start to finish. You will not be denied here. The first third starts out with exhibiting toasted wood and leather in front with hints of sweet spice in the background on a medium finish. It is a solid medium body at this point:

The second third continues with the toasted wood and leather theme, but now hints of caramel have entered the picture on a medium to full finish. It is still a solid medium body and pushing to become medium to full body. It is during the second third that I’m totally relaxing and enjoying a euphoric moment. It’s a complex earth, caramel, spice, cocoa blast in nano-seconds. Some vitamin ‘N’ is noticed at this point, but nothing to write home about:

The final third moves along with earthy flavors with hints of spice and some caramel in the background, and then winding down to an earthy flavor:

Smoking Characteristics: As mentioned above, the pre-light draw had some resistance that opened a smidge during the duration of my smoke, and this was a good thing. There was no harshness or bitterness noted when I would take a puff. Just so you know, I’m not in a race to finish a smoke, but take my time in between puffs. I know, sometimes this is hard to do, but one must resist when you’re in to something good. Thus, this smoke lasted me a total of 63 minutes from start to finish. The burn itself was slow to medium and did not go out on me until the nub stage. A small re-light was needed which enabled a few more minutes of enjoyment. During the first third, a slight uneven burn developed, but corrected itself prior to entering into the second third and an even burn and whitish ash was enjoyed to conclusion:

Conclusion/Overall Impression: The Verocu #5 is a very enjoyable vitola, and I believe well worth the money to have a 5er or two, or a box in your humidor for rotation purposes. A solid medium body in the beginning and pushing the medium to full body envelop at the middle to the end. A 63 minute smoke which gave me the opportunity to experience the wrapper and blend of this vitola, with plenty of flavorable smoke with spice through the nose. This, along with some great complex flavors is what I enjoy from a cigar. When funds become available, a box is destined for my coolerdor. Hope you enjoyed the review and thank you for taking the time to read.

Appearance/Construction: 12/15
Flavor/Taste/Aroma: 23/25
Smoking Characteristics: 23/25
Conclusion/Overall Impression: 32/35

Final note: I’m hoping to burn and review a Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva this week for a comparison with the Verocu #5 and will place it in the forum soon…
Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu #5...

nice review!

Dan
Old 04-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Nice review, I love these, perfect size and price for my commute to and from school
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Great Review Mark!!

That is one of my favorite Tats. I have a cab that is aging just wonderfully!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Nice review. And, I would say that your review is almost a mirror of what I found in this vitola!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Thanks for the review. I've been interested in these, or rather the Victoria vitola, for a while and I think now I'll pull the trigger on a fiver.

Last edited by Subvet642; 04-29-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Grammer
Subvet642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Excellent Review Mark.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
thecatch83

Smoke these, love these! Great review!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Great review. Thanks

Love these little guys.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Nice review, love these smokes.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Seasick Sailor

I just picked up a cabinet of these on Tuesday. Easily one of my favorite petit coronas. I'm a big fan of the Petit Cazadores too.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
[color=DarkRed][b]

Final note: I’m hoping to burn and review a Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva this week for a comparison with the Verocu #5 and will place it in the forum soon…
Nice !
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to all for the comments
Old 05-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

EricF just bombed one of these to me...after your review I'm really looking forward to lighting it up...
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
EricF just bombed one of these to me...after your review I'm really looking forward to lighting it up...
What a sneak huh?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #16
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Wow - I must smoke really fast. This is more of a 20-25 min smoke for me.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #17
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
Wow - I must smoke really fast. This is more of a 20-25 min smoke for me.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #18
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Fantastic Review, Mark! I'll Have To Admit, Though, I Haven't Found A Tat I Didn't Like!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
rgrecco
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ronald
Trading: (4)
LFdC
rgrecco is on a distinguished road

Awesome Review Mark... I couldn't Agree More...

I just had my first one of these thanks to PEKTEL!!!

I REALLY ENJOYED IT!!!
rgrecco is offline   Reply With Quote