Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Graycliff Hotel - worth it?

So.... I'll be going on a cruise in a couple of weeks. One of the stops will be Nassau, Bahamas. I'm a fan of Graycliff cigars, have been for years. So....

Anyone here been to the Graycliff? Is it worth the time to visit? Or would I be better served to find some other place to visit while in port?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Graycliff Hotel - worth it?

Here ya go buddy

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...raycliff+Hotel
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14289
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Cliff,

If you're a fan, you'll be forever remorseful if you don't at least go there and try to get in on something.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The tour is cool, and the food is pretty good. They have fairly limited hours as I remember, so best to arrange the tour time before you go, Cliff.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Bacchus

I hate to be a wet blanket, but my child bride and I cruised into Nassau in June of last year and I felt that Graycliffs was a must-see. I was pretty disappointed.

I don't know if business was just bad or it was the off-season or what, but the place was all but closed down. The restaurant was closed, there were hardly any people around -- it was just dead.

Our cabbie waited while I looked in on the torcedores - there were only a couple of them working - and went into the gift shop. Prices be d@mned, I felt I had to buy some Graycliffs at their place of birth just so I could say I had. I also bought some for a BOTL who had asked me to. This wasn't a good thing to do.

Once I was home again, I sent the sticks to the guy who asked for them - only to get a reply a while later with photos showing the beetle damage in one of the cigars I sent him. After apologizing profusely and offering to replace any damaged ones, I promptly froze the entire contents of my coolidor.

For me, it was a bad experience all around. Graycliffs have never been at the top of my favorites list and, now, I don't even consider buying them again. I'm not saying I'll never smoke one again but I sure won't go out of my way to get one.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Yes, to be clear my last trip to Graycliff was over 7 years ago, so my information may be trumped by Bacchus' more recent experience.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

I went about three years ago and had a great time. I had never been to a cigar factory previously so granted I didn't have anything to compare it too. As Tom said, definitely contact them to arrange a time. They are pretty flexible w/the length of your tour in my experience, depends on how much you ask and wanna poke around.

This was my
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12170
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

If you know a B&M that is selling a lot of Greycliff's have them call to accept you when you are there. Vendor based introductions will get you much better treatment such as free drinks and cigars. They'll roll out the carpet for an industry guest.

I heard the hotel has quite a wine list, so if they are open for dinner you could have a real treat in that respect.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
If you know a B&M that is selling a lot of Greycliff's have them call to accept you when you are there. Vendor based introductions will get you much better treatment such as free drinks and cigars. They'll roll out the carpet for an industry guest.

I heard the hotel has quite a wine list, so if they are open for dinner you could have a real treat in that respect.
An interesting idea!! I do have several people in the cigar industry that could call them on my behalf! I think I'll do that.

Thanks Bacchus for the current info. I think, since this is the only time I'm likely to ever be there, I'll make the effort to go. My wife was very interested in the rolling process we watched in Charleston, SC, so I know she would go with me. And, if the cigar part is slow or not going that day, it sounds like the hotel would be an interesting tour in itself.

So, is the hotel close enough that an overweight 54 year old can make the trip walking without showing up in a pool of sweat?? I'm no against walking, and a five to ten minute walk isn't outside of my capabilities. I just don't want to show up sweating like a $2 hooker on a Amsterdam Saturday night!!!

As to buying a cigar, It would make sense to grab a couple from the source, though I currently have several dozen various ones. Will have to see. And will definitely freeze them after seeing Bacchus' post!!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

You're staying at the Graycliff Hotel as well, Cliff? If so, it's all "right there", you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
php007
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (35)
php007 will become famous soon enough

It's a great place to visit and you will most likely see them rolloing. Since you are taking a cruise, take a cab to the hotel from the dcok.

Enjoy.
php007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You're staying at the Graycliff Hotel as well, Cliff? If so, it's all "right there", you shouldn't have a problem.
No, unfortunately. Only a day stop on the cruise. But should be there to eat lunch. Will have to see what menu and prices look like!

Will be either walk there and then back, or take a taxi. I could always use the exercise (although walking has to be my LEAST favorite form of exercise - bad knees may have something to do with that!)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

From the port, Cliff, you will probably want to cab it.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Thanks Tom! That's good to know before hand, for sure!!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Caymus is on a distinguished road

I went to the Graycliff Hotel on a cruise stop, and I enjoyed it. I enjoy Graycliff cigars, so it was a must-stop for me. The grounds alone are worth seeing, and they do have a world-class wine and spirits selection. We walked from the cruise port, but it's more than a 10 min walk...you might choose a cab. I highly, strongly recommend heading over to "Fish Fry" (formally known as Arawak Cay) , an area about a mile from the cruise terminal/Graycliff. It's an area of colorful seafood huts where the special in all them is fresh conch. I'm a foodie, and the fresh conch salads I ate there were some of the best food memories I have. Just delicious and so fresh and local. The conch fritters are great too....wash 'em down with some ice cold Kalik beer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graycliff.jpg (47.4 KB, 207 views)
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

Graycliff pool...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graycliff Pool.jpg (64.6 KB, 215 views)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

Fish Fry (Arawak Cay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FishFry.jpg (47.9 KB, 214 views)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

Conch salad and Kalik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Conch Salad.jpg (37.5 KB, 228 views)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough

holy slide show
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Well, Graycliff was a bust. Hurricane Sandy put that port of call off the ship stops. Maybe some time in the future....,