Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help! Need recommendations/advice

Thanks again for all the advice. Interesting that I had some Starbucks dark roast beans and ground them this morning fresh and made a pot of coffee. It was just like when I used my roasted beans. Just very weak and tasteless; Like with mine, no bad taste per se. Anyway, I am going to continue to play with it and even get my old blade grinder back and try that. I never had this problem using Starbucks or any other bean when I used my blade grinder. Thanks again. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I always roast until the start of 2nd crack rather than a lighter roast. I've also noted that I've tended to prefer coffees from Africa compared to South American beans. The result has been bolder flavors rather than boring flavors IMO. Try roasting into 2nd crack with a nice Ethopian Yirgacheffe and see how you like it.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Some very good responses here. A couple of things I took from your original post. You mentioned that you like strong coffee. You will want to take your roasts up near Full City+ (into 2nd crack). City / City+ will not cut it for you at first. You may (like many others including myself) learn to love the somewhat lighter roast levels, however if you are used to the Dark / Burnt flavors of Starbucks and others like that, then you will want to be at least 10+ seconds into 2nd crack minimum.
Also, just adding more coffee to the Brew (unless you are not putting in enough to begin with) will not make it stronger. It will just make it worse IMO. Perhaps adding to any additional bitterness.
Most directions for French Press's say to steep 4-5 minutes. I prefer up near 6 minutes myself.
City & City+, depending on the bean can sometimes have a green or grassy flavor note. Some people enjoy this. Every bean is different. Some do well in that range, others shine at the darker levels.
Personally I think the Colombian coffee's are mostly in the "good" range. I have only had 1 Wow me. I tend to like Colombians in the FC to FC+ range. I think they also need more rest than others. I like them to rest for about 3-4 days.

Make sure you are leaving your bag or jar partially open for the first 12 hours to de-gas.

For me, home roasting has been like cigars, I dont like to have the same one day after day. I usually roast (4) 1/4 lb batches of different beans and that should last me the week.

I have come to realize, which beans I like in the C+ range and which ones I like up in the FC+ range and in-between. I do not go beyond FC+. I believe you lose too much of the characteristics of the fruit above this range.
Some beans do well at multi-levels. Some do well when blended at different roast levels too.
I get something different every time I order, and I have come to enjoy many different regions of coffee.
Some of my favorites right now are:
Bolivia Organic, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe, Papua New Guinea, Java Sunda, and Rwanda.
Keep at it. No one prefects it the first few times they roast, that's for sure.
Good Luck
B
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Another thing to try is one of Sweet Maria's 4 or 8 lb samplers. I got a free 8 lb sampler with my Behmor roaster. There were a few countries in there that I would have never ordered on my own, but found them to be very good and have continued to order within that region.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Wow. Thanks guys for all the incredible advice. I really appreciate it and I am going to roast some more tomorrow. I do have a couple of types of Ethiopian blends I bought from Sweet Marias. I have been roasting Columbian mostly so far, but will try one of the Ethiopian's. Also, I am definitely going to try the French Press and see how that tastes. Again, thanks for the help. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #26
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I've been hooked on CCM Coffee's house blend2 for a while now.

They're a great company out of Tampa and that particular blend roasts great into second crack and I've really dialed into it.

The blend is Colombian and Brazilian which seem to roast better to my preference of darker.

Personally, I've never had luck with the Yirgas and long given up on them.

Some people love them, but I never found the taste of lemon to my liking and seem to gravitate to Central and South American blends, but that's what makes us all different.

I probably need to venture out a bit more
Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Personally, I've really been liking a Ethopian Sidamo Natural I got off of the GCBC board awhile back. Tasting notes I read mentioned "blueberry waffles" and it describes it perfectly.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

The Blueberry notes are my favorite form the Ethiopians (Yirga's) also. Right now I have been enjoying the Ethiopian Gr1 D.P. Yirga Kochere from Sweet Maria's. Like Chocolate covered blueberries with a lite note of strawberries.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Ethiopian needs a city roast or a city +. I am also a Ethiopian fan, but I found that it took me a while to get it dialed in.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote