Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 AM   #581
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Second Firearm Thread...

[quote=SmokeyJoe;2167655]RUGER SP101 .357 mag 2.25 in.

Thats a beauty!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #582
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Nice Ruger! I had a GP100 that was a great shooter. Can't beat them.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #583
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

I'm a sucker for good old S&W steel. Just picked up a
Smith & Wesson 629-6 .44 mag (4 in.) from 2012
Only fired at the factory.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #584
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Sent my old barrel and action off a few months ago to have the old carbon fiber barrel removed and a new stainless fluted barrel made. Also ordered a break that was compatible with my QDL suppressor so I could use it on two rifles. As soon as the temps rise to a decent range I will be out testing this mother.
Top is new and lower is old
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #585
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Picked up a lightly used Walther PPQ this week. The store let me do a five round test fire with their range ammo before purchase. Shot a 3/4" group at 25 feet with the dang thing. I am incapable of doing better than that with ANY handgun. SOLD!
Old 04-05-2019, 05:06 AM   #586
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Had a warmer day this past Wednesday so I made it out to the range. Our range looks pretty rough after a long winter of nobody repairing things around there. Looking forward to some good time on the bench.

Anybody got anything new?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #587
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

California gun owners were allowed to purchase standard/high capacity mags for 1 week
Old 04-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #588
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Glock just announced their new spokesperson: Chuck Norris! A fitting successor to the late R. Lee Ermey.

Can't wait for the next batch of commercials.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #589
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

I like shopping in the used gun market. For the last couple years or so, pre-owned .40S&W caliber handguns have dropped to bargain barn prices. Last Saturday in a private sale, picked up a Glock model 22 in really nice shape for $300. Late Gen3 with RTF-2 exterior. A grip frame plug and extended slide release had already been installed.

Couple shops around here have all but stopped stocking new handguns in .40. Hardly anyone wants 'em.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:11 AM   #590
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
I like shopping in the used gun market. For the last couple years or so, pre-owned .40S&W caliber handguns have dropped to bargain barn prices. Last Saturday in a private sale, picked up a Glock model 22 in really nice shape for $300. Late Gen3 with RTF-2 exterior. A grip frame plug and extended slide release had already been installed.

Couple shops around here have all but stopped stocking new handguns in .40. Hardly anyone wants 'em.
Thats a smoking deal on the model 22.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:28 AM   #591
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Good deal on the model 22 and I find it funny how the prices have changed on .40 cals in the last 2 years. Seems the lip service shooters all wanted them and then found out the extra stopping power comes with a little more recoil. I personally like a metal frame .40 better than polymer, but both are fun for the true hobbyist/shootist.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #592
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

I reload, so "tailoring" my practice ammo to recoil a little less isn't a problem. I had divested myself of .40 caliber handguns (except for the Browning Hi Power, all steel) a few years back. Passed up several good deals on used Glocks, S&Ws, etc. in .40 since then. This model 22 was just a "can't get hurt financially" thing. So far it shoots fine, just a little jumpier than its 9mm counterpart. Nature of the beast.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 AM   #593
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Well dang did I kill this long running thread, or am I the one keeping it alive? Oh well here's another snort of narcan to keep it going..

Any of you have any of the Canik 9mm handguns? I've waded into the brand in the last few months. Most everything about them seems fine, especially the price point. Only one complaint about them from me: They are set up with very stiff recoil springs. Apparently they are designed to be fed 124 grain "Nato" ammo, which is +P. Or any other +P stuff. The spring will soften up after a few hundred rounds of shooting. But if you use standard pressure ammunition for break in, you'll have some malfunctions (stovepipes) to contend with.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #594
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

First Name: Mark
Trading: (14)
Partagas
8lug is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the firearm thing. Just got my Mass LTC. any recommendations for a first gun?
8lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #595
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lug View Post
I'm new to the firearm thing. Just got my Mass LTC. any recommendations for a first gun?
Go shoot a few. If you have friends with firearms test out what ever they have or rent a few different ones from a local range, if they have rentals.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #596
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Hello. In Massachusetts you are somewhat limited as to what handguns you're allowed to own/possess/carry, correct? It may be helpful if you would outline those restrictions for us.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #597
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

Partagas

Ill be attending the Sig academy next month. Taking handgun 101 and 102. Sig trains on the 320. I guess that's a good place to start.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #598
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Hello. In Massachusetts you are somewhat limited as to what handguns you're allowed to own/possess/carry, correct? It may be helpful if you would outline those restrictions for us.
I'm not 100% sure what is or isn't Ma compliant yet. There's a range close by that rent by the caliber. $25 plus ammo and I can try them all. I LEO friend recommended I try all the 9mm
Old 05-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #599
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lug View Post
Ill be attending the Sig academy next month. Taking handgun 101 and 102. Sig trains on the 320. I guess that's a good place to start.
I carry the Sig P220 as my every day carry. I love it, but I agree with Greg, shoot a bunch and see what feels right. Definitely a very personal thing, which guns feel right.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #600
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

8lug, that sounds like a good plan, seriously. For that $25, yeah, try out the brands and models that feel best in your hands. Also, 9mm is the right caliber to try first, easier to shoot and less expensive to "feed". Plus, with the hotter self defense ammo, it's very capable of doing its job.