Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Blind tobacco #3 reviews & reveal

Here is the 3rd and last review...and again I will let The Camaro Show and Conch Republican chime in with theirs when they do them.

Dafu’s review of Blend #3
1) Aesthetics: Very fine looking whole light brown flakes. Nice
Score for aesthetics: 5

2) Pre-light Construction: Easily broken up for packing, but I imagine it would have been fine folding the flakes. Not much in pre-light smell, so probably not heavily cased.
Score for Pre-light construction: 4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Smoked well and burned evenly especially after getting past the staying lit phase. Smoked fine....not to hot or moist.
Score for post-light construction: 5

4) Flavor and strength: Definitey had the flavor of a Danish VA. Light and sweet with a bit of tanginess that progress along with overall strength. Hay and citrus notes detected probably from a light topping. Never got hot or bitter with a wee bite if puffed too aggresively.
Score for flavor and strength: 4

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Finish was light, sweet and hay like. A litte tang also as it progressed.
Score for aftertaste: 4

6) Aroma: Aroma was very light, pleasing and sure to be non offensive to bystanders. Just sweeet tobacco.
Score for aroma: 4.5

7) General Comments I would classify this as a very approachable all day blend. Reminds me alot of Stokkebyes Navy Flake of which I have quite a bit cellared. So I would imagine this would be Luxury Twist Flake especially considering it probably was purchased in bulk also (thanks Todd). Haven't smoked alot of straight VAs as I've preferred English, VaPers and Balkans but this one is worthy and one I may consider putting away. Hits all the marks for me in a VA and highly recommended.

My review.
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

1) Aesthetics: I love flakes, and this is a gorgeous flake. This comes in a 1.5pound box and it packed nicely. 4.9

2) Pre-light Construction: Right out of the box, in regard to moisture this is eminently smokable. It is able to be folded and smoked, or it rubs out completely without much effort. As you nose the tobacco, this is a wonderfully light smelling Virginia with a bit of sweetness. I know there is Perique, but it was done with a light hand. 4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: This burns delightfully. My smoking habits mean that I can get bit easily. However, this is one VaPer that I can mistreat by puffing vigorously and it will not come back to bite me. 4.0

4) Flavor and strength: Do not expect this to be a full bodied Virginia or VaPer (which is what it is). This is more along the lines of Dunhill Flake with just a touch of Perique. Too be fair the Perique is ephemeral (fleeting at best), showing itself more in hints of light spice. If you want to get the most out of this blend, smoke it slowly – “sip it!” What I find the most of is a light sweetness with hints of light caramel. I was definitely underwhelmed in my first few bowls of, it is seemed just too light for me, but I did not give up – how could I, I had 1.5 pounds of it to smoke. I discovered that it takes a few bowls and a clean palate to appreciate the complexity and “freshness” of this blend. (initially 3.3) (now, a 4.1)

5) Aftertaste/Finish: This finishes very light and does not linger long. What is there is slight sweetness. 3.0

6) Aroma: I really enjoy the light sweetness in the room note with this blend. There are those who seem to think that PS-LNF has a topnote to it – if it does, the manufacturer’s notes do not say so, and I have never found it. Again, it is lightly sweet and simply enjoyable. 4.5

7) General Comments I really enjoy this blend. It is an incredible value – if you can find it. (Personally, I should really to take some of it, rub it out, add some Perique to it, squish it into a ˝ pint mason jar, let it sit for a few months, and then smoke it) 4.5

8) Recommendation: I highly recommend this blend to those who would like to enjoy a quality VA but like their Perique with a gentle hand.