Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default 'Deadliest Catch' ship goes up in flames

'Deadliest Catch' ship goes up in flames

http://www.katu.com/news/local/102735924.html

SEATTLE – More than 100 firefighters converged on Seattle's Interbay neighborhood Sunday morning in a massive response to the Arctic Dawn's three-alarm fire.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: 'Deadliest Catch' ship goes up in flames

Well, I guess that's ONE way to get some "reality TV" off the air. Me, I can think of a dozen more that need be torched.

But I am glad no one was hurt.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Smoking Dragon
formerly sergeant smoky

First Name: John
Trading: (67)
Cohiba Army (Disabled Vet)
Smoking Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSmoking Dragon has a spectacular aura about

dozen more realty shows or dozen more boats????
Smoking Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I guess that's one view. You could always change the channel. But considering that's how those sailors make a living, not good for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Well, I guess that's ONE way to get some "reality TV" off the air. Me, I can think of a dozen more that need be torched.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
I guess that's one view. You could always change the channel. But considering that's how those sailors make a living, not good for them.
I guess that's another view. I could always change channels from one reality show to another to another to another. And consider this: If those sailors made a living as fishermen and not Kardashians, no one would have reported this fire.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
I guess that's another view. I could always change channels from one reality show to another to another to another. And consider this: If those sailors made a living as fishermen and not Kardashians, no one would have reported this fire.
or you could turn the tv off and watch a movie, or don't watch that box at all and do something social.

Wonder how you would like it if your way of income went up in flames and people would react "that should happen more often".
Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
So your saying if they where regular fishermen, and had not been on a TV show, no one would have reported it? I don't know what you base this on, that ship was someone's livelyhood, and it's a shame it caught fire. But...I guess just because you work on land....you don't give a rats ass about us people who make a living at sea!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Why the hate? Wishing ill will to anyone can result in some bad karma.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If a 16 foot recreational boat burns around here it's reported. You might not pay as much attention to it, but it's damn sure reported, and reported on.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:

well then why not fly up to alaska and get some work on a boat. no reality tv that way
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
Wanger

Quote:

Ouch dude! I hate reality TV myself, but to me, Deadliest Catch is true reality TV, and not some fluffed up bs "game" like Liar...er...I mean Survivor. There is a HUGE difference between Discovery Channel and Animal Planet reality TV and "Big 4" reality TV.

That was the main source of income for those guys. I hope that they can get back out there as soon as possible and keep making a living!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Ouch dude! I hate reality TV myself, but to me, Deadliest Catch is true reality TV, and not some fluffed up bs "game" like Liar...er...I mean Survivor. There is a HUGE difference between Discovery Channel and Animal Planet reality TV and "Big 4" reality TV.

That was the main source of income for those guys. I hope that they can get back out there as soon as possible and keep making a living!
Well said.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #13
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Nuff said!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Nuff said!
Water under the bridge!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sailor View Post
Water under the bridge!
Was the bridge on fire?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like they'll have to start pushing Whale Wars again
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #17
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Wow, luckily the ship wasn't out at sea...it probably would have had a different ending.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
Grumbles
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Grumbles is on a distinguished road

Discovery, Animal Planet, History Channel...etc. Those are the good stations out there left. I agree with those above - their reality TV is reality. The other crap is rehearsed garbage and a big reason why I didn't own a TV for 10 years coming out of the Army.

As for these fisherman - they bust their a$$ so I was a bit surprised to hear any ill will for them. Hell, if I was working 20 hour days or more on a boat and a guy offered to pay me extra to stick a camera on it ... well, I would probably say yes
Old 09-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #19
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Well, since either the existence or the meaning of the in my previous posts seems to have escaped the majority of you, let me reply as if they were not there.

The "nobility" of hard work is a concept which entered the consciousness of the enlightened during the Romantic peroid, with poetry, literature, and artwork extolling the working man as virtuous and worthy of emulation. This concept was in stark contrast to the prior view of peasantry, when the opinion of those in a lower physical condition was one either of pity or contempt. And it is important to note that this change of perception was a construct of those who were NOT of that class, but rather of the intellectual and artistic minority . . . in large, that minority who had little or no firsthand knowledge of hard physical labor.

I have worked hard physical labor in my life, in an attempt to keep body and soul together, and I have also tried to earn money as a writer . . . with insufficient success. And though there is no shame in hard work, there is no inherent nobility in it either. It's just work. I know, firsthand. So is writing, and in its own way it is just as exhausting. The whole "reality" TV phenomenon may put a few extra dollars in the hands of "common people", but it puts much more money into the hands of the producers who avoid the higher costs involved with more traditional programming. And one reason for this, and one result too sadly overlooked by those of you who were offended above, is that those people trying to earn an honest dollar by writing for television are presently out of work, due to the fact that so many viewers have bought into the pandering of those executives that have decided to increase their bottom line by appealing to the more base, more voyeuristic, more crass sensibilities of the populace.

Is there anything inherently wrong with a working fisherman making some extra money by taking part in an entertainment enterprise? Well, is there anything inherently wrong with a group of writers going out on a boat and "poaching" his catch? Does one man's right to earn a living supersede the right of another? Is one type of work more worthy, more "noble" than another? Is physical toil good, and even Godly? Consider the lilies of the fields, and the birds of the air.

And, since the meant so little, I'll not bother to add the other smiley I was tempted to click.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, since either the existence or the meaning of the in my previous posts seems to have escaped the majority of you

Sometimes words are chosen not so carefully. In fact the statement can be so outrageous that the smiley face does not depict sarcasm, rather an inherent happiness in what you just wrote...

Somehow after reading your explanation I am still left with the same impression as I was from your first post. Unless of course the omission of a smiley indicates sarcasm....

Either way, does not matter, its just a online forum, light one up, sit back, and enjoy a smoke!
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote