Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #261
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
I work for a medical supply company that provides CPAPs and supplies, so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!
Thanks. I'm sure I'll have plenty.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #262
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Are you sure you wanna do that? Don't you think a 'natural' sleep will give a more honest result?
I was actually given an Ambien when I went in for mine.
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #263
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

My doc told me that sleep medication was a no go for me, not during the test and never again after they saw the results. Only sleepmeds I can take is melatonine.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #264
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

How often should you change your mask and hose?
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #265
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I change them once a year, but I clean them once a week
Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #266
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown View Post
How often should you change your mask and hose?
I clean mine once a week...and change the hose and mask out every three months. Being retired Army, I get a new one every three months with my insurance.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #267
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Well, I had my follow up today and, as I expected, I have sleep apnea.

Those of you who are familiar with this are probably aware of a measurement call the AHI - which is a composite measure of sleep apnea. Anything over 5 is considered mild and anything over 15 is considered severe. I came in with a 29!

The machine has been ordered and, of course, awaiting approval from my insurance.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #268
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

Those of you who are familiar with this are probably aware of a measurement call the AHI - which is a composite measure of sleep apnea. Anything over 5 is considered mild and anything over 15 is considered severe. I came in with a 29!

The machine has been ordered and, of course, awaiting approval from my insurance.
Stay with it Peter!!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #269
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Get ready to get some much needed rest brother. I have had mine for about a year and half and feel so much better.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #270
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Thanks for the support, fellas.

As part of the follow up, I got my nasal passages and throat scoped. After the local, it was only mildly uncomfortable. Now that the local has worn off, my throat is really sore. Hopefully, the burgundy I am enjoying while preparing pasta with red sauce will dull the pain.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #271
Cenookie
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Claude
Trading: (1)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Cenookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Get ready to get some much needed rest brother. I have had mine for about a year and half and feel so much better.
I couldn't agree more with you on this. When I first got my setup it took some getting used to, so stick with it. I found that my biggest issue was with my hoses, seemed to always get in the way. I spent more time waking up and moving the hoses. I found a hose management system call "Hozier" not sure about the spelling, anyway the thing suspends the hose above your head. Now I'm sleeping thru the night, waking with more energy and feeling a lot better.
Cenookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #272
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenookie View Post
I couldn't agree more with you on this. When I first got my setup it took some getting used to, so stick with it. I found that my biggest issue was with my hoses, seemed to always get in the way. I spent more time waking up and moving the hoses. I found a hose management system call "Hozier" not sure about the spelling, anyway the thing suspends the hose above your head. Now I'm sleeping thru the night, waking with more energy and feeling a lot better.
Glad to hear it.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #273
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the support, fellas.

As part of the follow up, I got my nasal passages and throat scoped. After the local, it was only mildly uncomfortable. Now that the local has worn off, my throat is really sore. Hopefully, the burgundy I am enjoying while preparing pasta with red sauce will dull the pain.
Ouch! Consumption of red wine and red sauce sound like the wrong way to soothe a sore throat Enjoy. Good luck with the CPAP. Its made a difference for me.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #274
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenookie View Post
That sounds very complicated. I just make sure mine is between the pillow and the headboard and off to my zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #275
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Ouch! Consumption of red wine and red sauce sound like the wrong way to soothe a sore throat Enjoy. Good luck with the CPAP. Its made a difference for me.
You are probably right. But it sure did help.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #276
BigCat

Quote:
You are probably right. But it sure did help.
Glad to hear it
Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #277
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

By far the hardest thing for me initially was sleeping on my back. I had always slept on my stomach. My wife got me a TemperPedic (sp) pillow that has a little raised part where the curve of your neck goes. It made it much more comfortable for me.

As for the hose... My CPAP is on the nightstand which is on my right when I am laying in bed on my back. I just put the hose under my right arm around the bicep area and it just kind of stays out of my way.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #278
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

It has certainly made a big difference for me. I feel more rested and I no longer snore.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #279
BigCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
By far the hardest thing for me initially was sleeping on my back. I had always slept on my stomach. My wife got me a TemperPedic (sp) pillow that has a little raised part where the curve of your neck goes. It made it much more comfortable for me.

As for the hose... My CPAP is on the nightstand which is on my right when I am laying in bed on my back. I just put the hose under my right arm around the bicep area and it just kind of stays out of my way.
I've found that I can still sleep on my stomach if I just use the edge of the pillow. My mask basically hangs off the end. It works well when I feel like reverting back to that. You might want to try it (assuming you haven't already). I still really don't sleep on my back. Mostly side sleeping otherwise. But once in awhile it feels nice to roll over onto my stomach.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #280
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I've found that I can still sleep on my stomach if I just use the edge of the pillow. My mask basically hangs off the end. It works well when I feel like reverting back to that. You might want to try it (assuming you haven't already). I still really don't sleep on my back. Mostly side sleeping otherwise. But once in awhile it feels nice to roll over onto my stomach.
I do the same thing.

The bottom line is that you need to be persistent in order to accommodate the mask and hose while you sleep.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote