Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Don Lino 1989 (maduro)

I've never had a Don Lino, but I picked up this cigar last week at Winston's Humidor, the newest B&M in my hometown (and a new member of CA, too!)

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut broadleaf
Binder: Indonesian
Filler: Colombian, Mexican, Nicaraguan
Vitola: Robusto

Since tomorrow is a homebrew & bottling day, I had some prep work to do this afternoon cleaning & de-labeling bottles. Decided to light up my first Don Lino to help make the work more enjoyable.

Appearance/Construction
Box pressed robusto, with a dark, oily wrapper and a colorful band. Tobacco in the foot appeared loose, but the cigar itself didn't seem underfilled. Good burn, white/gray ash held tightly for over an inch at a time, resistance on the draw was tight but I could pull a decent volume of smoke.

Flavor
Prelight draw was heavy chocolate with a little barnyard aroma. After lighting, the taste was consistent throughout the hour long smoke--earthy, dry cocoa with a fruity sweetness that reminded me of raisins. The finish was long, and left a black coffee taste on my tongue. Just a hint of spice picked up at the band. Medium/full body, but mild in strength. Coffee would make a nice accompaniment to this cigar, but I stuck with water.

Overall
A very nice cigar at the price point ($6.) For me, this cigar was on par with a HdM Dark Sumatra. Probably gets overlooked, but would make a great everyday cigar for those who prefer maduros.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote