Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #41
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Smoking Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
understood. Thanks. I have big luv for all my Brothers-Of-The-Leaf but I have to say, I don't ever think i could be part of a Puff-Puff-Pass. Call me whatever ya want, that just sounds kinda yuck-o.
Would you take a taste off someone's beer? Or a shot from their flask? Not any different IMO.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #42
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Mike
Trading: (11)
Prospector will become famous soon enough

Also be mindful of the additional nicotine absorption through your nasal passages. If you are at all sensitive to nicotine you should start snorking real gradual. (I speak from experience)
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #43
ca21455
Working on Reality

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ca21455 is on a distinguished road

Great post as always Dave!

Here is a picture of me trying out your techniques in the backyard.

ca21455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #44
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

I have always been a nose smoke-extractor. Never knew you DIDN'T expel through the nose until I had my first mini-herf experience at my local cigar shop. The owner saw me snorking like a bull and fusses at me, "Don't inhale cigar smoke!!!" I responded that I didn't. I just have always gotten more flavor / palate response from "exhaling" through my nose. She and the 3 others herf'n with me looked at me like I had 2 heads.

Oh well, I thought. To each their own...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #45
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I have always been a nose smoke-extractor. Never knew you DIDN'T expel through the nose until I had my first mini-herf experience at my local cigar shop. The owner saw me snorking like a bull and fusses at me, "Don't inhale cigar smoke!!!" I responded that I didn't. I just have always gotten more flavor / palate response from "exhaling" through my nose. She and the 3 others herf'n with me looked at me like I had 2 heads.

Oh well, I thought. To each their own...
I hear ya,,,and ditto the thoughts on the puff puff pass. If I want to try a cigar I'll smoke my own,,,,not that I don't like my fellow brothers but I'm just funny that way.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #46
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
I hear ya,,,and ditto the thoughts on the puff puff pass. If I want to try a cigar I'll smoke my own,,,,not that I don't like my fellow brothers but I'm just funny that way.
Is it virgin day or something?

To each his own.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #47
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

Terrific info...specifically about the punch cut on loose cigars. I will definately try that. As for the nose exhale...I have had problems learning the technique for this without inhaling the cigar into the lungs. The only way I can seem to exhale through the nose is if I inhale into the lungs.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #48
68TriShield
Got Torque?

Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLogic77 View Post
Terrific info...specifically about the punch cut on loose cigars. I will definately try that. As for the nose exhale...I have had problems learning the technique for this without inhaling the cigar into the lungs. The only way I can seem to exhale through the nose is if I inhale into the lungs.
Hold your tongue against the roof of your mouth and push it through your sinus's.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #49
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Hold your tongue against the roof of your mouth and push it through your sinus's.
I tried that again to day and for whatever reason I just can't get it. Not sure if it's because of my severely deviated septum or because I'm just not that coordinated...lol.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #50
totallytentative

Just be careful about pushing too much full bodied smoke out your nose. Unless you're a cigarette smoker the smoke from some cigars is so thick and heavy it might make your sinuses burn. That, and the afforementioned nicotine absorbtion issue is why I tend to put only small amounts out my nose so that I can pick up more aromas, but nothing more.

EDIT: Heh, whoops, I see Cigary has already warned about this.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #51
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Well...what do ya know. I pulled out a PL panatela for my drive up to Lexington this eve. I finally got it! The first time...made me cry like a girl. I was so glad no one was there to see it lol. I kinda figured out that blowing the entire amount in your mouth out through your nose wasn't wise. The second time was much more successful. I thought I would share my new found smoking skill. Thanks guys.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #52
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Congrats Shawn. Puts an entirely different face on every cigar you "think" you the flavors of. Enjoy the re-exploration.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #53
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Congrats Shawn. Puts an entirely different face on every cigar you "think" you the flavors of. Enjoy the re-exploration.

Thanks...I'm pretty stoked. Of course, my first session was filled with too much nasal burning from poor technique. But, after a few of these I was already able to appreciate more complexity within the smoke. I'm excited to go through all my favorites and not so favorites and rediscover.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #54
68TriShield
Got Torque?

Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLogic77 View Post
Thanks...I'm pretty stoked. Of course, my first session was filled with too much nasal burning from poor technique. But, after a few of these I was already able to appreciate more complexity within the smoke. I'm excited to go through all my favorites and not so favorites and rediscover.
Great news,we knew you could do it
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #55
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Nice work!!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #56
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I have a question about the draw intensity. I take a puff, a nice steady draw what ever will fill my mouth and let it sit. Now a friend wants a taste of the cigar I have and I notice that he takes multipul draws, something like puff, puff, puff, and then draw. Is that good for the cigar or is it overheating it?
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #57
Cyanide

I find it improves the smoke volume on some cigars. But, that might have to do with the humidity at which the cigar has been stored at. You might find that "wetter" cigars need more of that puffpuffpuff technique.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #58
Cyanide

I have found that two things that greatly improve any cigar (and I do mean any cigar....taking even a perfect cigar and changing it into a "I've looked into the eye of God" experience)....

1) the Purge. But, I have modified it slightly, more into a mini-purge. About every three or so draws I will put 3 quick "reverse puffs" through the cigar, even with the ash still in place. Then I let the cigar rest for a minute or so. Doesn't seem to appreciably shorten the burning time of a cigar. But, what it does do is it seems to significantly freshen the flavour of what ever cigar you are smoking. I will still throw in the appropriate full-purge as well, whenever the ash falls off.

2) Rinse and spit. I have been meaning to write a thread on the best way to avoid the possible health risks of cigars while still enjoying them. Well, good intentions sometimes cower before staunch procrastination. But, one of the things one can do to possibly limit the chances of laryngeal cancer (one of the risks that doesn't disappear to near-zero simply by having less than 2 cigars a day and not inhaling....it might have to do with swallowing your smoke-ridden saliva) is to rinse your mouth out regularly with water, remembering to spit the water out. This is the first reason I started doing this. However, I soon realizes that a quick swig of cool water, swish it around the mouth a couple of times and then spit it out....also seems to greatly freshen the flavour coming off your cigar. I do this after each smoke-exhale.

Between the mini purge and the swish and spit, my cigars seem to get to that "sweet spot" and stay there much longer. It may seem like much added work...but give it a try, you may find the benefit so astounding that you become an immediate convert.

But that's just my experience.

Cheers

Cyanide
Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #59
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

awesome post! very informative....u have furthered the training of padawan learners everywhere
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #60
Snake Eyes

Default Re: Cigar Smoking Technique

Great post for the newbies...we all were there once with all the same questions that you answered nicely!