Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
viljedi

Default New Guy - Humidor Suggestion

Hello everyone. I am a new member and am looking to purchase a new humidor. Where is the best place to get one and what type should I get?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
leasingthisspace

Default Re: New Guy - Humidor Suggestion

Welcome to the Asylum. I would say screw the humi get a thremoelectic wine cooler and roll with that. Or if you keep the house cool a cooler.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
Welcome to the Asylum. I would say screw the humi get a thremoelectic wine cooler and roll with that. Or if you keep the house cool a cooler.
While don't disagree with your suggestions -- they can be a little intimidating for a newbie.

Sometimes you have to make decisions (or mistakes) up front (like purchasing a small humidor) that in hindsight you would not have done -- you would have gone straight for the Vino or Coolidor.

But, I think that is part of the learning process that helps you build up the experience to understand why the Vino's/Coolidors are so popular and why they work so well.

For the OP: If you want to get a humidor, get a quality one, no glass, that holds at least 100-200 cigars (300+ would be preferable). I know that you are saying to yourself: "Wow that's a lot of cigars! I won't need something that big!".

But it's not really alot of cigars. Especially, if you decide to try a variety to learn your tastes. Maybe you want to put some special cigars away for a while. And while you may not smoke many cigars now, as you get into the hobby, you will certainly start smoking more.

Trust me. You will use up all that space a more in a very short time. Scan the threads here at CA and you will see many threads from BOTLs who bought a small humidor and quickly ran out of space. (For Example, a recent one: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31830)

Also, the cheaper humidors are not always constructed as well and require more effort on your part to maintain them. If you are going to do this, get yourself something nice!

Welcome to the the slide down the proverbial Slippery Slope!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.

Last edited by CigarNut; 05-11-2010 at 07:40 AM.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Cigarnut is right on the money. Buy a used desktop, don't bother spending 200-300 bucks on something you'll outgrow in a year.

The price difference between buying a box and singles will soon have you loading up on boxes. That's when you invest in a large cooler and some beads and you'll be set for a while..............until you need another cooler and more beads.............then after that you'll need another cooler and some more beads.

There's a reason it's called a slope
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
leasingthisspace

I see what your saying about setting a wine cooler but you can get smaller one off CL for like 40 bucks or less. Living in TX heat could be an issue for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
BC-Axeman

+++++What they said ^^^^^^^^^^!
A 100-200 count desktop is really about half that. Wine coolers are great for stability but if you have a place that stays cool all year long the a big plastic cooler is great for box storage. (If you decide to start collecting boxes of cigars. LOL)
Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Depends if you want to buy multiple boxes or just a box or two.

Are you looking for heirloom level or just basic does what it needs to?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
leasingthisspace

See
http://austin.craigslist.org/for/1732463585.html
Some empty boxes for the singles and some beads and your set for a little while anyway.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
itzfrank

IMO, from my experience, a smaller box is the way to go. I got a 25ct and it's nearly full but it has prevented me from buying in bulk. If you limit yourself in space now, you'll be forced to buy singles and in the end you'll try more cigars out over the span of this box. Yes, you could go larger, but it may limit what you learn about yourself.

Getting a box of 25 cigars will force you to smoke some of those if not all and you won't be as open minded to your palette.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzfrank View Post
IMO, from my experience, a smaller box is the way to go. I got a 25ct and it's nearly full but it has prevented me from buying in bulk. If you limit yourself in space now, you'll be forced to buy singles and in the end you'll try more cigars out over the span of this box. Yes, you could go larger, but it may limit what you learn about yourself.

Getting a box of 25 cigars will force you to smoke some of those if not all and you won't be as open minded to your palette.
Opinions vary....I say go as big as you can afford too, as 90% of people will outgrow a 25 count humidor (which will also only hold 18-20 cigars) in no time.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

It all depends....But I would suggest thinking about how many cigars you plan on maintaining and multiply that by 5....I also think that if you do not want to spend a lot a cooler is always a nice option. And you should then get some beads, I would highly suggest going with shilala's beads....I made the mistake of not buying his and it took me FOREVER to get my rH stable....Welcome to the slippery slope brother!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
Boss Hogg
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Curt
Trading: (3)
Boss Hogg is on a distinguished road

I would go big. You'll save yourself money in the long run. I first bought a 100 count desktop, then moved on to a vinotemp. Then I decided... what the hell, I'll just build a walk in closet humidor lol! Think ahead
Boss Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I cast my vote for the used desktop angle. It'll allow you time to see if you get gripped by the progression of the obsession and buy tons of cigars. It usually happens when guys get exposed to the awesome deals they see from hanging around here. We're a really bad influence.
If you like it, you can change later and offer your desktop to the brothers and sisters here. Someone is sure to need it.
I've probably gone through dozens of humidors along the way. The next stop is a walk-in, then I'm done. Honest.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
jbo57

I agree with all of the above, but there is something cool about having a humidor. To me, it just adds to the whole experience...but that's me. My daughter got mine for me about four years ago for Christmas. Believe it or not, she got it from an ebay store. You might also want to check out the "Devil site". (Cigarbid as they have a merchandise section and I got a humidor from them once. I think it was the Old Worlde Humi).
Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
MikeyRocks
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
Partagas
MikeyRocks is on a distinguished road

I got into smoking about two months ago. I decided to buy a humidor, found a 125 count one on eBay for a decent price. I've already maxed out the capacity and now looking to make a coolidor. It all depends on how much you see yourself smoking. I bought two boxes, a few 5 packers, a few 10 packers, and now I'm out of room...
MikeyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocks View Post
I got into smoking about two months ago. I decided to buy a humidor, found a 125 count one on eBay for a decent price. I've already maxed out the capacity and now looking to make a coolidor. It all depends on how much you see yourself smoking. I bought two boxes, a few 5 packers, a few 10 packers, and now I'm out of room...
Welcome to our world.
We have all been there, done that.
Seems you always think the one you are getting is big enough and soon after, you outgrow it.
I have done that now with about 6 humidors.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #17
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Opinions vary....I say go as big as you can afford too, as 90% of people will outgrow a 25 count humidor (which will also only hold 18-20 cigars) in no time.
I haven't yet
Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
leasingthisspace

Hush Boa.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I picked up a nice 100 count from cbid. I will get a vino but I am waiting on that until I pick up a few boxes of stuff I really want. I used to smoke years ago and I have found my tastes have changed since then.
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Best to either go really small (50 count singles) humidor or go large and buy a cabinet with (50+ boxes). Inevitably, if you stay at the small humidor level, it could suit you fine. Buy a nice box or two and just enjoy them. You want to get into really buying cigars, a larger-than-you think cabinet is the way to go. They're so easy to own and essential if you want to move past the buying singles into buying boxes.

Assorted "coolers" seems so redneck, but it works for many.

There's a great selection on Craigslist all the time.