Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Rp Sumatra Do you know it?

Ok, another of the discontinued cigars I love. Does anyone know of a similiar smoke? Maybe another sumatra? This is the only one I know of that I have smoked. I find these to be rich in flavor, a sweet type flavor (but not in a sugary sense). Very smooth smoke and easy to snork.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rp Sumatra Do you know it?

check HC in williamsburg. I have had some luck every now and then with them have the RP Sum on the shelf.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I really enjoyed these too and have not found anything that closely matched the profile of the Edge Sumatras. Holts use to still have them in stock up until about 6 months ago and sadly I procrastinated on pulling the trigger for a box and now I am SOL. Hell, if you could find a box I would be willing to do a split with ya!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Try the RP Renaissance. I especially like the toro (I think that is what they call it)!!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

I have learned the hard way, when they are discontinued you do not pass them up. Buy all you can afford at the moment. If I spot some I'll PM you. One reason I'm asking about others is to get a jump on something similiar. Cuts down on the anguish of losing another line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I really enjoyed these too and have not found anything that closely matched the profile of the Edge Sumatras. Holts use to still have them in stock up until about 6 months ago and sadly I procrastinated on pulling the trigger for a box and now I am SOL. Hell, if you could find a box I would be willing to do a split with ya!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

These are great smokes. PM sent.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

I'm not 100% if these are the original blend(or if there is even a variant) but this shop always has them in stock.

http://www.smokeinn.com/eshop/RP-edg...ra-cigars.html
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Yep, they had Rocky do a run for them. I bought a box but haven't tried one yet. I absolutely love the Sumatra, have only one left of my old supply, maybe I'll break into the box and see how the Smoke Inn ones are. BTW, Smoke Inn is a great shop, they gave me a personal letter and some free swagg with my order. Great peeps.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Uflbassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Try the RP Renaissance. I especially like the toro (I think that is what they call it)!!
The RP Renaissance is the same smoke as the Edge Sumatra, except for the fact that the blends come from different years (according to Jamei). Also the RP summer 2008 is a Sumatran wrapper from Rocky although I'm not nearly as fond of it, I do like the Renaissance quite a bit.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uflbassin View Post
The RP Renaissance is the same smoke as the Edge Sumatra, except for the fact that the blends come from different years (according to Jamei). Also the RP summer 2008 is a Sumatran wrapper from Rocky although I'm not nearly as fond of it, I do like the Renaissance quite a bit.
That's what the word was out of the Rocky camp, but having smoked both of them, they aren't even really close to the same. IMHO.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 AM   #11
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Good to know. I'll hunt one down to try. Which then makes you ask, why screw with the name if it's the same blend? Most companies pay millions to get brand recognition. Once something is know for being a good product why take a chance on losing the customer base with a name change?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
That's what the word was out of the Rocky camp, but having smoked both of them, they aren't even really close to the same. IMHO.
It's been so long since I've had an Edge Sumatra that I'm not even sure if I could tell if it was the same smoke or not. I do remember that the Edge Sumatra was one of my favorite smokes when they were around.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

The Cubaos have a Sumatra wrapper. Their lancero is one of my favorite smokes.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Renaissance is the same blend and now features the same priming of the dark sumatra wrapper. Rocky is known for using Sumatra...

RP Sungrown (Sungrown Sumatra)
1992 Vintage (Shade Grown Sumatra Aged 10 years)
Decade (Dark Sumatra)
09 Spring Collection (Light Sumatra)
Renaissance (Dark Sumatra)
Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

I haven't tried the SG and Renaissance. I have not had much luck with enjoying the RP cigars I have tried except the Sumatra and the Rosado (which I haven't seen locally in a long time). I think I have the the above two local and will hunt them down. Just something about the Edge Sumatra after about a 1/8" it settles in and just becomes tasty. Not very complex with changes, but a solid smoke that isn't harsh or bitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPguy View Post
Renaissance is the same blend and now features the same priming of the dark sumatra wrapper. Rocky is known for using Sumatra...

RP Sungrown (Sungrown Sumatra)
1992 Vintage (Shade Grown Sumatra Aged 10 years)
Decade (Dark Sumatra)
09 Spring Collection (Light Sumatra)
Renaissance (Dark Sumatra)
Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I've never had a RP Edge Sumatra, but I know that the Renaissance is a great smoke!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post

I have two Edge Sumatra left in my humidor... These are going to be for special occasions!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #18
Gonesledn
making trails

First Name: Wes
Trading: (31)
Gonesledn will become famous soon enough

i bought a bunch from my local a while back for some guys on here. last time i was in there she still had some. i belive they were around 6$ singles. shoot me a email or pm if you would like me to check

wes
floorsforme at comcast.net
Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote