Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
hikari
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (0)
Partagas
hikari is on a distinguished road
Default Indoor Smoking:

As the pandemic is upon us, I'm working more than before solid 15hr days in my home office.

My thought is, can I get away with smoking inside my home office. I have a wife and two kids, so I don't want the smell/ smoke to linger or carry through the house. One of my son's bedrooms is above my office as well.

I've seen many youtube video's about the Minus A2 Ultra Quiet Air Purified. I am about to pull the trigger on this and want to know your guy's options.

There are a few things I like about it. Being able to mount on the wall out of the way is very nice. The automation and IOS control are helpful and can work with the rest of the automation in my house. The face people say it's quiet is huge since I work on remote commercial productions so quiet is golden.

The real question is, will this work as advertised. I've learned not to believe youtube and to listen to real people more. My office has no material in more wall to wall computers and monitors. The room is 13x11 with 8-foot ceilings.

I understand I would have to put something at the base of my door so air doesn't get out.

What are your guy's thoughts on this unit and in general?

Heat is coming here is SoCal hitting triple digits this weekend.
hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Indoor Smoking:

From everything I've read and heard, these units will NOT work effectively on cigar odor. Some improvement, yes, but eradication, not even close.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
From everything I've read and heard, these units will NOT work effectively on cigar odor. Some improvement, yes, but eradication, not even close.
Thanks for the feedback.
That's exactly what I was looking for not a paid advertisement on youtube but an actually cigar smoker's feedback and thoughts.

Thanks again
Old 07-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Mystophales
Heavy Metal Jesus

Bolivar
Mystophales is on a distinguished road

I have heard the same. Only way is to add solid ventilation and get the room airtight and if you are going to all that trouble you might as well just create a small smoking lounge in your house...
Mystophales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

My plan works well. No wife, no kids, no roommates - no problem. If people don't like me smoking in my house, they can go elsewhere.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

If I was trying to design a system to reduce smoke smell, I would look into a heat recovery ventilator, which brings in fresh air and exhausts the stale. Here’s a Popular Mechanics article

https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom.../a149/1275121/
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:06 AM   #7
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Building something in like a recovery ventilator is not going to work. It's a two-story house so not like I have access over the office to say an attic.

Also with triple-digit heat out here I'm not sure I would want to circulate new air in from outside.

I guess smoking will have to keep to the weekend until I get some normal post-pandemic work hours.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

Well,

All I have to say is I have a great wife.

Today I came home to the Rabbitair Minusa2

As some of you said not sure if it will do much but it's a small room.

I just finished installing it. It's about 7-8 inches deep a bit deeper then I thought so sits further from the wall.

On silent mode it's pretty quiet but for this 11x12 room, I think it may be loud when it gets to higher speeds.

I haven't tested with cigars will post my feedback in the coming days/weeks

Here is a quick pic. Disregard the mess.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

I will point out customer service is solid.
The unit itself feels a bit flimsy as it's all plastic but guess that's what you want hanging on the wall something light.

The number of filters in it, one after another after another, etc. Seems like a lot.
The specialty filter "Oder" one I choose doesn't seem like anything special.

At first glance, it just seems like a HEPA filter with a few extra layers.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
CEC_Tech
Old CS Gorilla

First Name: Armando
Trading: (5)
RyJ
CEC_Tech is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the ventilation, but that is one sweet setup! I've been in the arcade industry for about 25 yrs now, and I will tell you that you'll get some residue on your equipment. That will add to the odor. Make sure you wipe down monthly or more depending on your habit. I like the way the computer is mounted up on the wall there.
CEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #11
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEC_Tech View Post
I don't know about the ventilation, but that is one sweet setup! I've been in the arcade industry for about 25 yrs now, and I will tell you that you'll get some residue on your equipment. That will add to the odor. Make sure you wipe down monthly or more depending on your habit. I like the way the computer is mounted up on the wall there.
Thanks for the tip, Will make it a point to wipe things down monthly.
Kinda do that already lol...
Old 07-15-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Window exhaust fan is your best primary device to remove smoke. Get it out of the house and then you don't have to treat it. Treating a smaller amount of smoke or no smoke at all is easiest.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #13
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Window exhaust fan is your best primary device to remove smoke. Get it out of the house and then you don't have to treat it. Treating a smaller amount of smoke or no smoke at all is easiest.
The only bump with that is the tripple digit temperatures out here. I don't want to lose the AC during the day. Maybe at night, I can crack the window.

It would just be me not a group of people smoking. So wouldn't be a huge amount. With the pandemic keeping me working for 15h days, thought it would be nice to be able to smoke in my office as the feeling arises.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Trading: (1)
Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

Good luck I hope it will be enough for you! I know you say you can't add a venting system. But I have built and advised on building, and have built a smoking lounge in my home. In fact I have built (2) of them in my home. The first one was down stairs in a formal living room I had enclosed. I used it for over 10 years then I had to give it up to have my mom come live with us so I could be her caregiver. After a year of smoking in the garage I could not take it anymore and I built another smoking lounge upstairs in a loft I had enclosed. But I can tell you the cleaning cigar smoke does not work that well. The only way to do it, is to remove the smoke as fast as you can. What are the chances you could swap rooms with your son. If you are going to smoke I would definitely use a Window exhaust fan It wont be that bad with the A/C on and the window fan. If you get one that fits good you are pushing air out not pulling air in. This is my set-up (decorations have changed of the last year but pretty much the same) It has a 1100 CFM ventilation fan in the ceiling that is low sound but changes all the air in the room completely every minute. (If you need any info LMK)

Old 07-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #15
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

Great setup @Havanaaddict

Changing rooms with my son would be a huge undertaking and his room is bigger.
Don't think he wants to move down.. Plus all the cabling in the house goes to my office.

I'm hoping just cracking the window will be enough in addition to the AC pushing in and the filter running.

One of my walls, I guess I could go through that wall to the outside but don't want to tear open walls etc.. This wasn't to be a set lounge just were i'm working and living for the better part of the day. Would be nice to grab a cigar if I feel like it. I would still smoke in the back yard when not working etc..

I will test at some point this week.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #16
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

-- Update --

Just wanted to give an update on the Minusa2

I used it last night. Throw a towel at the base of my door.
Knowing I should building something to get a better seel later on

With that said, I lit up a cigar and watch a tv show on the next flix.

The cigar lasted about an hour.
The minus2 did a good job and clearing the smoke for sure.
I used a mason jar as an ashtray so that I can cap it when I was done.

Well, I was wishfully thinking, and glad I didn't buy it myself, but the morning after about 8-10hrs, I could smell ash in the room still.

I now have the unit running on high for 3-4hrs no and on chat with Rabbitair to seem what they say.. again wishful thinking.

I know venting the room should be what you do, but it's to dame hot and expensive to cool things down here in Los Angeles. I'm not Mr money bucks. I even have solar panels installed in a month to save money. $1k DWP bills are no joke.

Side note I do need to seel my door a bit more. The smell did escape the room to the house as expected.

Any tips of getting rid of the smell when accidents happen are welcome,

Seeing I didn't spend money on the filter I still have a few I can throw at ventilation I guess

Any suggestions on ventilation, I may look into something but may have to go through the wall outside. Not sure the best way of doing with fan, etc..

Suggestions for window ventilation?
Old 07-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #17
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Trading: (1)
Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

Don't freak out the smell will go away in day or so. You will notice a difference with a wind fan.
Here is a link to some of the better ones, but you need to measure you wind to get one that fits good.
https://www.thearchitectsguide.com/a...est-window-fan
Old 07-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #18
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havanaaddict View Post
Don't freak out the smell will go away in day or so. You will notice a difference with a wind fan.
Here is a link to some of the better ones, but you need to measure you wind to get one that fits good.
https://www.thearchitectsguide.com/a...est-window-fan
Thanks for that..
The surprise or "Freak out" the following morning was real, especially from the wife

This was all wishful thinking. It's just way to hot during the summer especially with all my computer equipment to think about having the window open during the day. Maybe a slight chance at night but takes the whole if I want one now while working out of play.

The thought of a 1hr cigar taking 2 days to go back to normal is hard to believe lol.

SideNote: My windows are side by side windows and the office window is facing the front of the house so it's not something I really want to leave in. Letting someone have the idea they can break into the house through that window

Thoughts on throwing in small hyper fan at the window when I decided to smoke?

Also don't want a huge amount of noise. Filter, fan etc.. 95% of the time while working in on zoom with other people. either remote productions or meetings.

Can I just place the fan and kinda close the window on it and pull it when not in use. ie do I have to board up the window area around the area left open?

Thanks for talking through this with me guys. It really helps.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #19
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I used to use an exhaust fan about like the one below. It expands to fill the window. If you have open areas in the window, the air will "short circuit" around the fan and not pull any from the room. A fan like this helps a bit but will hardly cure the problem. You realize that, if you push air out of your room, hot air is entering somewhere else in the house to replace it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Holmes-HA...YaAvEMEALw_wcB
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:25 PM   #20
hikari
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

in R&D mode now lol..

What do you guys think of "Lamp Berger" for the ash odor?