Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #201
s0leful0ne
Its Huge.

Trading: (22)
RA
s0leful0ne has a spectacular aura abouts0leful0ne has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ummm Free?

Yes i specifically said that thief was the implication

What's that smell?...Swamp Ash
s0leful0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #202
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Just an FYI, if it is clear that the customer recognized their was an error, and intended to benefit from such error; CI wouldn't legally be required to fulfill the order. That said, it would be incumbent on the customer to either admit it, or the vendor to prove it.

I'm in retail and unfortunately have experience with both scenarios.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #203
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

anyone remember the free humis amazon had at the beginning of the summer? same deal im sure, we all bought em hoping to just pay shipping, then got contacted asking if we would like to pay full price or cancel

stearns
stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #204
LkyLindy
Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

First Name: Harvey
Trading: (6)
RyJ AirForce (Served With Honor)
LkyLindy is on a distinguished road

Seems like harmless fun and frolic to me

Old 12-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #205
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

As far as anyone who frowns upon people buying these incorrect orders, I point out to you: Caveat venditor (in name, not in practiced law). In other words, seller assumes responsibility for the orders and anything posted on their website. They are just as responsible for what's on their site as are people who post objectionable or questionable material.

There is nothing wrong with people taking up a deal, even knowing that it will probably not be honored. There IS something wrong with people judging others over it, even if they were to keep that fortune to themselves. And judging someone, were anyone to give any such hypothetical sales to the troops, is as pointless as it is spiteful. A purely altruistic gesture to give one's fortune onto others, without taking for themselves, is as generous as it gets. Speaking of not acting in the fashion of a BOTL, one who judges others actions so publicly and harshly is not at all acting in any good spirit.

At any rate, I for one received my emails this morning notifying me that a computer glitch caused incorrect prices, and a new confirmation with correct prices was attached, notifying me that if I didn't respond with acceptance within 48 hours, it would be automatically canceled.

We are all entitled to our opinions however they swing, and I feel that if the company honors the mistake, good for them. If they don't, oh well, it's not a loss to anyone else. The website is fixed, emails have been sent regarding the situation and the option to actually buy the deals at the correct price or decline. No one will apparently get anything free.

Having said my piece on this, I suggest the thread be locked to prevent more drama.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #206
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Having said my piece on this, I suggest the thread be locked to prevent more drama.
I would guess that others who have a different perspective may not agree that the thread should be locked until they say their piece on this.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #207
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I would guess that others who have a different perspective may not agree that the thread should be locked until they say their piece on this.
Touche! I was just thinking of drama threads getting out of hand sometimes.

Blast away, anyone who will.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #208
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Touche! I was just thinking of drama threads getting out of hand sometimes.

Blast away, anyone who will.
There has definitely been a little drama, but as long as it doesn't get too uncivil, we can leave it open a bit. Actually has been a pretty interesting thread to this point.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #209
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
There has definitely been a little drama, but as long as it doesn't get too uncivil, we can leave it open a bit. Actually has been a pretty interesting thread to this point.
Well as long as we have your seal of approval.

*Edit* - We're all entitled to our opinions. I can only hope that people don't lend too much weight to this frivilous behavior when it comes to serious matters.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #210
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:
...There IS something wrong with people judging others over it, even if they were to keep that fortune to themselves. And judging someone, were anyone to give any such hypothetical sales to the troops, is as pointless as it is spiteful. A purely altruistic gesture to give one's fortune onto others, without taking for themselves, is as generous as it gets. Speaking of not acting in the fashion of a BOTL, one who judges others actions so publicly and harshly is not at all acting in any good spirit...
How is stating an opinion about someone's actions judging that person? I often hear this complaint, but I didn't see any personal remarks or comments made about individual members, just about the ethics of the activity.

And IMO, there's nothing altruistic about donating goods that were acquired through a mistake of and at great expense to a merchant.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #211
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #212
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
How is stating an opinion about someone's actions judging that person? I often hear this complaint, but I didn't see any personal remarks or comments made about individual members, just about the ethics of the activity.
As a friend of mine likes to say, "I'm not judging, I'm just saying..."
Old 12-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #213
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
Just an observation, but isn't that exactly what judging is? See #8

judging - 3 dictionary results
Pronunciation
noun, verb, judged, judg⋅ing.
–verb (used with object)
6. to pass legal judgment on; pass sentence on (a person): The court judged him guilty.
7. to hear evidence or legal arguments in (a case) in order to pass judgment; adjudicate; try: The Supreme Court is judging that case.
8. to form a judgment or opinion of; decide upon critically: You can't judge a book by its cover.
9. to decide or settle authoritatively; adjudge: The censor judged the book obscene and forbade its sale.
10. to infer, think, or hold as an opinion; conclude about or assess: He judged her to be correct.

For the record I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm just saying...
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #214
piperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Very clearly NOT BOTL behavior. Use whatever justification you want for "playing a game."
100% agree, and if they came to your door would you not feel guilty for taking money from a retailer in this economy.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #215
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

For all those on their soap boxes, I would like to thank you all for being morally superior to the rest of us. It is nice to know in this day and age we still have saints who never ever do anything wrong in anyone else’s eyes. Today I spend a good chunk of my day saving someone his job. In comparison to ordering one pack of partagas black late last night I think I might just be even. The problem with judging people, especially on a forum, is that without knowing the person you are judging, you are just judging that person but a little piece of information you read. I have learnt not to be so quick to judge on so little.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #216
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I wasnot judging the people per say, just the actions. Will I hold a grudge against these people or deem them bad people or ever not buy anything from them in a WTS/Split thread? No, I just think the way the situation was handled was a little ridiculous. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about that? Opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one and they all stink. Hell, if you only ordered one hoping to score a free bundle maybe but ordering hundreds is a bit overboard and was meant to be more than just a gag. Again, just my .02. For all you know someone could have lost their job over the ordeal. You just never know what your actions may have caused, so because you thought it would be a hoot to order 200 bundles or whatever now someone could possibly be out a job in this "economy?" You never know. I know if I made the mistake at work my boss would hang my n*ts from the flagpole than fire me. Not claiming to be a saint either. Far from it but I guess in some situations I am guilty of thinking about what could result from my foolish actions and every once in awhile putting the shoe on the other foot. Plus I can't be a saint, my wife tells me all the time I am an @zzhole.
This will be my last post on this thread as I think I already ruffled enough feathers and made enough enemys. I joined here to share the love of the leaf and this group reminds me of what CS was 2 years ago, so I will stop now before I piss anyone else off. I guess I was just surprised because I guess I along with a few others are in the minority in thinking that this is not how most BOTL/SOTLs would have handle the situation. Most times our biggest fault is being overly generous and not trying to take advantage of a vendors error. Ahh well, life goes on.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #217
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

I think we need a group hug.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #218
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

Post-Mortem Follow-up on the insanity of early this morning.
Here's the e-mail exchange I had this afternoon with CI:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:01:35 -0500 "Joe Cigar Customer Service"
<joecigar@cigarsinternational.com> writes:
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Thank you for your recent order! This morning we experienced a technical
error between the hours of approximately midnight and 3am eastern time.
Due to the technical error, a small number of products were incorrectly
displayed at $0.00. Below is the actual order confirmation with correct
prices. Please reply to this email with acceptance or cancellation of the
order. If we don't hear from you within 48 hours, we will assume you want
the order to be canceled. Please accept our apologies for any
inconvenience this causes you.

Thank you for your loyalty and patronage.

Trish S.
Customer Service Supervisor

To: joecigar@cigarsinternational.com
Subject: Re: Cigars International - Confirmation #XXXXXXX

Yes, I accept the below-referenced Joe Cigar offer for the Jose Pepin
Garcia Cuban Class Robustos.
I hope last night's escapades didn't cause TOO many heart attacks at CI
this morning.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric,

Lets just say we had the paramedics on stand-by all day!!

Thanks for your understanding. We'll get your order shipped out tomorrow.

If there is anything further you need, please let me know!

Trish

- - - - -
So, I guess they figured out how not to go bankrupt after all!
Hey, if you can't screw with your friendly neighborhood
internet retailer once in a while, WHO YA GONNA?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #219
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKitty View Post
Well as long as we have your seal of approval.

*Edit* - We're all entitled to our opinions. I can only hope that people don't lend too much weight to this frivilous behavior when it comes to serious matters.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #220
Stogieboy

[quote=Silound;114353]
And judging someone, were anyone to give any such hypothetical sales to the troops, is as pointless as it is spiteful. A purely altruistic gesture to give one's fortune onto others, without taking for themselves, is as generous as it gets. QUOTE]

Taking advantage of someones mistake to get free product then giving it away, is a generous as it gets? Come on, you don't really mean that, do you? I think it would be far more generous to buy something at a fair price then give it away. Just one mans opinion.