Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Geppetto
She's Watching My Ash!

First Name: James
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Geppetto is on a distinguished road
Default Weber Smokey Mtn...

All right boys and girls, I finally caved in a bought a WSM. Tried it out Saturday on some chicken (first step in the Low & Slow process), with excellent results! No pics yet, as it was gobbled up ASAP!
I ordered the "Low and Slow" cookbook by Gary Wivott, awaiting its arrival.
Any other WSM users on here? Share secrets, ideas, recipes?

James
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Weber Smokey Mtn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
All right boys and girls, I finally caved in a bought a WSM. Tried it out Saturday on some chicken (first step in the Low & Slow process), with excellent results! No pics yet, as it was gobbled up ASAP!
I ordered the "Low and Slow" cookbook by Gary Wivott, awaiting its arrival.
Any other WSM users on here? Share secrets, ideas, recipes?

James
I don't own one any more, but I have had two and loved them. When I first started competing in the Florida BBQ Association that is what I used. For the price it is really hard to beat them. TWVB website is all you will ever need!!!

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com

Congrats and have fun practicing.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough

I own one and did a couple of pork shoulders this weekend as detailed here, http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14915.

I have only made a couple of modifications on mine as they are ready to go out of the box.

Enjoy it!!
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

With yardbirds, you don't have to go as slow and low as rib, butt, or brisket.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Darrell

I bug Brent when I need WSM help.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I bug Brent when I need WSM help.

I have had great success with the "minion method" while cooking with my WSM, look into that if you haven't yet.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

Minion works great! I use a modified Minion method to do my low and slow smoke on a 18" Weber kettle grill. Just saving up to one day get myself a WSM and start having some real fun!
Old 05-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquirit View Post
Minion works great! I use a modified Minion method to do my low and slow smoke on a 18" Weber kettle grill. Just saving up to one day get myself a WSM and start having some real fun!
I started out on a kettle myself. You can put out some nice BBQ with it.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Geppetto
She's Watching My Ash!

Bolivar

Just received the book. Pretty good recipes.

Now, I want to toss the gas grill and go totally charcoal (natural lump of course!)
Old 05-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

RA

I've used both lump and briquettes and have gotten similar results. I use Kingsford 90% of the time and have no complaints.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Darrell

What are you guys using for thermometers? I want to find something I can clip onto the grill or something outside, otherwise the reading station always falls on the ground, lol.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What are you guys using for thermometers? I want to find something I can clip onto the grill or something outside, otherwise the reading station always falls on the ground, lol.
For a long time I used the NuTemp (701 I think).

You can get grommets that replace two of your bolts that hold the cooking racks. Then you can insert the temp probes through the grommets. I put the base units on one of those folding TV trays right next the to the cooker. The advantage is that you are measuring actual cooking grate temp and not dome temp.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've been using this Maverick wireless thermometer for the past 7-8 months, the best $40 I have spent in a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remot...1472506&sr=8-1

It has 2 probes, so I hang one inside the holes at the top to read the temp inside the WSM and the other goes in whatever meat I am cooking. Before I would be up every 10-15 minutes going outside checking the temperature, but now I can set a high/low temp so it will beep if the temp drops too much or goes too high. The readings are very accurate (did the ice water test) and I have had no problem at all with the wireless signal "dropping".
Old 05-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

RA

Quote:
I used the Maverick Redi-Check. It has one probe for the meat, one for the grill. I've many reviews that were not kind, but I for one have never had a problem with it.

I started using the Kingsford Competition this weekend as Costco is carrying it now. The biggest difference I noticed was that it lights so fast compared to the regular.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

I would suggest not using all lump for at least a while. It can make learning to control your temps much more difficult.

I would use Rancher, Stubbs, or Kingsford Competition briquets. Original Kingsford has too many additives IMO. I don't care for the smell when it is burning nor the flavor that it imparts. The other three are all natural and are basically ground lump held together with a plant starch. You will find they have MUCH less ash.

BTW... a great way to do the Minion method on a WSM is to get a small metal coffee can. Cut out the top and bottom. Put it in the center of your fire ring. Fill the ring outside of the can with briqs. Start about a half a chimney of briqs. Once they are ashed over dump them in the coffee can. Use REALLY long tongs to pull the coffee can up and out (I actually use welder's gloves).

Another thing I am an absolute believer in is running the WSM dry. I filled the water pan with egg rock (some use sand). Over that I put a clay flower pot base (from WalMart) that I covered with HD foil. You will use much less fuel this way, and while the temps are minimally more difficult to keep down, the rock does basically the same job.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Geppetto
She's Watching My Ash!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I would suggest not using all lump for at least a while. It can make learning to control your temps much more difficult.

I would use Rancher, Stubbs, or Kingsford Competition briquets. Original Kingsford has too many additives IMO. I don't care for the smell when it is burning nor the flavor that it imparts. The other three are all natural and are basically ground lump held together with a plant starch. You will find they have MUCH less ash.
The first batch I used Stubbs. Nice. None of the nastiness associated.
I broke down and sprung for the chimney. Easiest fire I've ever made.

Any tips on seafood? Clams, oysters, shrimp, fish (besides the usual Salmon), etc?

Great tips! Keep'em coming...
Old 05-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #17
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

Quote:

BTW... a great way to do the Minion method on a WSM is to get a small metal coffee can. Cut out the top and bottom. Put it in the center of your fire ring. Fill the ring outside of the can with briqs. Start about a half a chimney of briqs. Once they are ashed over dump them in the coffee can. Use REALLY long tongs to pull the coffee can up and out (I actually use welder's gloves).

Another thing I am an absolute believer in is running the WSM dry. I filled the water pan with egg rock (some use sand). Over that I put a clay flower pot base (from WalMart) that I covered with HD foil. You will use much less fuel this way, and while the temps are minimally more difficult to keep down, the rock does basically the same job.
Thanks for the tips I'm going to try running it dry as you mentioned.
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I would use Rancher, Stubbs, or Kingsford Competition briquets. Original Kingsford has too many additives IMO.

Another thing I am an absolute believer in is running the WSM dry.
Been using lump and wood chunks for a decade... Just tried out Kingsford Competition and it really is steady with the temperature, but does not burn as hot and has little flavor. Keeps the temperature for a good length of time too. Great for starting out keeping slow and for sure low... Really something to use with wood chunks if you want a decent amount of smoke (I am TX BBQ fan, so love that smoke).

I am also a fan of cooking dry. I don't want my BBQ steamed and makes it more of an art controlling the temperature.

FYI - I use a Char Griller Smoking Pro (barrell with side smoker)
Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #19
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

The Mavericks are another very good choice. They are what my partner on my comp team has used for a long time.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

I've done hundreds of pounds of fish... mostly mullet and kingfish. You want an oily fish and a mild wood. I use apple, alder, or a little pecan.

Oysters we roast on big open pits. I have never done them on anything else. Nor have I done any other seafood.