Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough
Default Questions on Wineador and storage

I have a Wineador and it has cedar drawers and shelves ( from ChasDen... BTW ehre has he been? ) . I know if you plan on leaving the smokes to rest then you should leave them in the SLBs or boxes that they came in. And if you plan on smoking them you can either put them in the drawers or leave them in the boxes, right?

What Ive noticed is that the cigars will loose their "smell" when they are kept loose in their drawers. Is this because of the atmosphere within the Wineador? As in the oils or smells are allowed to move around more and release from the cigars versus being contained within a box? I hope this is making sense... lol

It just seems that when they are pulled form their boxes and put into the drawers they loose that rich tobacco scent you can pick up from SLBs ( when you open and smell ) and then they take a bland/maybe cedar scent/musky scent if they sit in the drawers loose for a year or two+. Other than that they smoke good and RH is 65% +/- a few... No mold etc.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Questions on Wineador and storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
I have a Wineador and it has cedar drawers and shelves ( from ChasDen... BTW ehre has he been? ) . I know if you plan on leaving the smokes to rest then you should leave them in the SLBs or boxes that they came in. And if you plan on smoking them you can either put them in the drawers or leave them in the boxes, right?
Not sure where you got this information. But I don't think it matters. Sure. If you are saving a box to age, there is no point in taking them out of the box.

Quote:
What Ive noticed is that the cigars will loose their "smell" when they are kept loose in their drawers. Is this because of the atmosphere within the Wineador? As in the oils or smells are allowed to move around more and release from the cigars versus being contained within a box? I hope this is making sense... lol

It just seems that when they are pulled form their boxes and put into the drawers they loose that rich tobacco scent you can pick up from SLBs ( when you open and smell ) and then they take a bland/maybe cedar scent/musky scent if they sit in the drawers loose for a year or two+. Other than that they smoke good and RH is 65% +/- a few... No mold etc.
Never heard that before. Maybe what you are smelling is the box itself. Oils and aromas don't "move around". If your storage is properly maintained, there is no reason the cigars should lose their aroma.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Hmm I'm lost here now. So you're saying you can leave them in their box or not when aging . pretty much either way in or out of the box is okAy?

Also I think my Winedor is maintained properly. It sits at 65/65 , no mold, has a fan... I do get some condensation on the Back wall, but that just drips into a tray with beads in it
Old 09-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I agree with Peter, I only store things in boxes if it is their original box and there are more than a handful of the sticks left, mainly to better keep track. Anything I have less than 5 of or originally got as a single is stored in a drawer or in a 5-finger bag. As far as I know, this doesn't effect their aging, the only way to negatively impact that would be to let them dry out and lose their oils.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

It s all preference.....I keep nothing in dress boxes, no matter if I'm going to smoke them or age them. I move everything to SLB's.

With that said, I've had many a fine aged cigar either stored loose or out of a single/3-finger/5-finger baggie....makes no never mind as far as I have experienced. About the only thing that has me intrigued is I want to age a box or two in a sealed food saver bag. That has always been an experiment that that has intrigued me.....
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Thanks. But I see the CC guys saying they should be in SLBs to age best, buy Dressboxes and move them to SLBs if you have them and so on.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack View Post
It s all preference.....I keep nothing in dress boxes, no matter if I'm going to smoke them or age them. I move everything to SLB's.

With that said, I've had many a fine aged cigar either stored loose or out of a single/3-finger/5-finger baggie....makes no never mind as far as I have experienced. About the only thing that has me intrigued is I want to age a box or two in a sealed food saver bag. That has always been an experiment that that has intrigued me.....
Interestingly enough Goatlocker had two boxes he purchased 10+ years ago, same cigars, one he left sealed and one he opened. We tried them out a couple months back, after 10 years the sealed cigars were much much stronger, the cigars that were opened to the air for 10 years where much more mild and had more nuances. It made for an interesting PPP, to the the 2 cigar vertical and talk about them, then being the brother he is he gifted each of us with one cigar from each box, I'm still holding on to them.

That being said I tend to leave cigars in whichever box they come in, like Ben when I get down to 2 or 3 in a box they go in the singles drawer, only because I hate to think I have a mostly full box and have it in reality hold one cigar. The only time I have really done differently is when I punched some sticks that were in cardboard, those I moved to a cab after someone's opinion I trust mentioned he did the same.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Thanks. But I see the CC guys saying they should be in SLBs to age best, buy Dressboxes and move them to SLBs if you have them and so on.
Who are "the CC guys" you speak of?
Those of us that have responded to your thread here are "CC guys", too.
Bottom line is there is no cut and dried answer here. Everyone has their opinions.

As for ageing (as opposed to resting), I don't think a dress box vs. SLB makes a huge difference. Especially if you aren't planning on ageing more than 5 years or so.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

This thread needs a "Yup, those sticks are no good. Send them to me and I'll properly dispose of them for you."
Old 09-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Lol. Don't beat me up too bad!

Just that since I'm older now, I'm looking into things more.

So basically if they are resting the box doesn't matter but ageing should be done in SLBs?

( hopefully I understood you right.. Lol )

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Lol. Don't beat me up too bad!

Just that since I'm older now, I'm looking into things more.

So basically if they are resting the box doesn't matter but ageing should be done in SLBs?

( hopefully I understood you right.. Lol )

Thanks.
Not trying to beat you up. Just want you to examine where it is you are getting your information.

IMO, it really doesn't matter. For me, if it came in a dress box it stays in the dress box. If it came in an SLB, it stays there. Like Ben, when boxes get low I usually just put the remaining sticks in the singles drawer or a spare SLB. I'll also add a blank band with the date code. Factory codes are important to some. Not so much for me.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Awesome. Gotcha
Old 09-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #13
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Only reason I move everything from dress boxes to SLB's is to give them a little more room to open up....trying to prevent any possible draw issues......with that said, I have no evidence that it helps (by moving from dress to SLB) but I will say I have had less draw issues from SLB sticks than dress box sticks.....
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #14
Cigar Fan 29
PerfecDraw guy

First Name: Rod
Trading: (0)
Cigar Fan 29 is on a distinguished road

If the draw is important to you, you really should look at the PerfecDraw. Nothing else at all like it out there.
Cigar Fan 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Fan 29 View Post
If the draw is important to you, you really should look at the PerfecDraw. Nothing else at all like it out there.
Do you mean the Shuriken Perfect Draw?

If you do, I will agree there is nothing else like it. I'd say there is a reason for that as well.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:00 AM   #16
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Whatever you do, don't let Goatlocker cut your cigars, seriously according to some people a monkey with a dull pair of scissors could do a better job
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #17
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Quote:
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:43 AM   #18
Cigar Fan 29
PerfecDraw guy

First Name: Rod
Trading: (0)
Cigar Fan 29 is on a distinguished road

Sorry I haven't had the chance to get back. I have three companies, which keeps me jumpin'. Anyway, no, I wasn't talking about the Shuriken Perfect Draw. Something entirely different.

The PerfecDraw has no "t" in it, and it's all one word.
Cigar Fan 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:59 AM   #19
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Ok, what is SLB? Acronyms, I ❤️ them!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Sorry I haven't had the chance to get back. I have three companies, which keeps me jumpin'. Anyway, no, I wasn't talking about the Shuriken Perfect Draw. Something entirely different.

The PerfecDraw has no "t" in it, and it's all one word.
Maybe you could post some pics and links... just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote