Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #41
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: iphone 4 just announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
And that makes your comment valid how?
Oh jee, I donno

I'd say my original concern was pretty darn valid. And then later in the presentation they clarified. Glad you all can feel high and mighty over it at my expense.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #42
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I've seen Tony's phone on the floor squirming like a fish out of water. Thing is made of Ti.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #43
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Oh jee, I donno

I'd say my original concern was pretty darn valid. And then later in the presentation they clarified. Glad you all can feel high and mighty over it at my expense.
My point was that you immediately questioned the integrity of a dual sided glass phone before your even knew how they were doing it.
I personally thought apple would use wax paper and rubber bands rather that the latest technology available.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #44
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
We get it, you don't care for the iphone, AT&T, Steve Jobs, or all of them put together. Plenty of options out there for you.

I started this thread becuase I knew there were plenty of people excited about the new iphone.
I own a Macbook pro and an iPod.

What I don't care for are the people who bath in steve job's sweat.

If a product has flaws, I'm gonna question it. Just like any other device on the market. People get too hyped up over Apple to see things clearly.

As for AT&T, not too thrilled with them, and I used to be a customer. Never more.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #45
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
My point was that you immediately questioned the integrity of a dual sided glass phone before your even knew how they were doing it.
I personally thought apple would use wax paper and rubber bands rather that the latest technology available.
The slideshow is play by play. Everyone else got caught up in it before the end, how is what I said any different?

Actually it was different. I was questioning a design choice instead of applauding it.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #46
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:

What I don't care for are the people who bath in steve job's sweat.
Yep that's me.

Quote:
If a product has flaws, I'm gonna question it. Just like any other device on the market. People get too hyped up over Apple to see things clearly.
Interesting that you know it has flaws even before it comes out. I on the other having enjoyed Apple products for the last decade and a half, will anticipate it's greatness.

Quote:
As for AT&T, not too thrilled with them, and I used to be a customer. Never more.
Kinda partial to AT&T also, puts food on the table in my house.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #47
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Yep that's me.

Interesting that you know it has flaws even before it comes out. I on the other having enjoyed Apple products for the last decade and a half, will anticipate it's greatness.

Kinda partial to AT&T also, puts food on the table in my house.
Interesting how you know it's going to be a success before it comes out..

See the pic above. I'll hang on to my judgement until proven wrong.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #48
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
T. I was questioning a design choice instead of applauding it.
Quote:
Glass front and back? What genius thought that up. One drop and done.
That is really stretching what you said.

I on the other hand saw glass front and back and thought. Man someone at Apple must have thought up some cool sh*t to be able to pull that one off.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #49
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I hope the glass really is better. I bought my 3g the day or two after they were released. I'm on my 4th one. One broken sim card read and two cracked screens. I've been lucky and only had to pay to replace one as the guy made a mistake on the second replacement procedure. But I gotta admitt $200 replacement fee really cuts into my cigar and Keystone budget
Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #50
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:

It will be, Apple is going to sell a ton of them.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #51
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:

is that a pic of your phone? or did you google cracked iphone pic?

My pic is of my phone, a phone that people at a herf on Saturday saw me drop and it is still fine.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #52
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Those are from dropping it on the edges, it applies much more force to a smaller area. I've had friends that were unlucky enough to drop theirs right on the corner and completely spiderweb the screen and it's still been completely usable. I've also seen Blackberry's, including most of the work units at my office, that have stood up far worst to much less abuse and look like total ass within 6 months of being issued.

It's all in how well you take care of your stuff. If you were one of the kids on teh playground that was always abusing their toys and breaking them then any smartphone is probably not the best purchase decision. If you're careful with it, especially if you buy a case, your iPhone will look exactly the same in a couple years as it does the day it comes out of the box.
Obviously it's about how you take care of your stuff, but accidents do happen. My phone has survived 2 drops. With the new no cell phone laws forcing me to use hands free speaker phone while driving, when the law first came out, I forgot a couple times I had the phone on my lap when I hopped out of my car.

You just hope that when you go to pick up your phone after feeling like the dumbest person on Earth that it's still in one piece.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #53
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
It will be, Apple is going to sell a ton of them.
I don't count that as a success in my eyes. But then again I'm not a marketing major.

I look at things differently. One of which being design choices.

If they're good choices and the product is well received with nearly no complaints. That's a success.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #54
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
is that a pic of your phone? or did you google cracked iphone pic?

My pic is of my phone, a phone that people at a herf on Saturday saw me drop and it is still fine.
Merely highlighting a picture representing that which I have seen on more than one occasion, albeit not as extreme. But then again your antagonism towards my comments called for something a bit extreme.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #55
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Whether or not it's going to be a success is not really a debateable issue, it's going to sell like hotcakes..... we all know that. Whether it deserves that success is what only time will tell.

Quote:
I've seen Zune's, iPhone's, iPod's, Blackberry's, Droid's, Creative River's, etc. that look exactly like the picture you posted. All that pic proves is that if you give people stuff, especially portable electronics, and they'll find a way to break it.

How many tens of millions of iPhone's and iTouch's have been sold in the last 3 years? What percentage of those sold have broken their screens? I'm guessing the failure rate is pretty damn small given that if it wasn't the media and anti-fanboi's would have jumped all over it. Considering the fact that the glass screens have already proven themselves to be far far tougher than you'd ever think possible I think you're making rather a large mountain out of a very small molehill.

NO device manufacturer warranty's their screens simply because, as a result of the amount of abuse the device receives from most users, that is going to be the biggest single point of failure in the device. If that's a issue for you don't buy a smartphone. Condemning a new device that isn't even on the market yet simply because you feel the decision to use dual-glass is stupid is ludicrous. It's doubly so considering the fact that Apple's handheld glass screen's have been some of the toughest on the market for years.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #56
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
I don't count that as a success in my eyes. But then again I'm not a marketing major.

I look at things differently. One of which being design choices.

If they're good choices and the product is well received with nearly no complaints. That's a success.
Again with my clouded judgement, I see one of the most technologically advance pieces of mobile communication ever to come to market. I will gladly punk down my money and drink the kool-aid.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #57
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Whether or not it's going to be a success is not really a debateable issue, it's going to sell like hotcakes..... we all know that. Whether it deserves that success is what only time will tell.

I've seen Zune's, iPhone's, iPod's, Blackberry's, Droid's, Creative River's, etc. that look exactly like the picture you posted. All that pic proves is that if you give people stuff, especially portable electronics, and they'll find a way to break it.

How many tens of millions of iPhone's and iTouch's have been sold in the last 3 years? What percentage of those sold have broken their screens? I'm guessing the failure rate is pretty damn small given that if it wasn't the media and anti-fanboi's would have jumped all over it. Considering the fact that the glass screens have already proven themselves to be far far tougher than you'd ever think possible I think you're making rather a large mountain out of a very small molehill.

NO device manufacturer warranty's their screens simply because, as a result of the amount of abuse the device receives from most users, that is going to be the biggest single point of failure in the device. If that's a issue for you don't buy a smartphone. Condemning a new device that isn't even on the market yet simply because you feel the decision to use dual-glass is stupid is ludicrous. It's doubly so considering the fact that Apple's handheld glass screen's have been some of the toughest on the market for years.

When you drop a device there typically always exists a proportion of surface area that withstands impact better than others. The ratio of those proportions typically determines (amongst other factors like height, angle, etc) whether or not the device will survive cosmetically.

When you increase the surface area of a compound that (could) break more easily. It makes me question it.

That's all I'm getting at.

Read above to the accidents do happen post. I fully understand what you're getting at.

You know damn well there will be people who question it's durability and will perform drop tests.

I'll just simply wait for those tests. (which won't matter really until Apple goes Verizon, which see my LTE post a page or so ago. I assume they'll make the transition then.)

As you've put, apple does make great products. Which is why I own them. I do not rush out, stand in line, and purchase day 1, a product which has no prior review or testimonies to backup the quality that they (the maker) claims it has. I don't see why that's such an issue?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #58
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
But then again your antagonism towards my comments called for something a bit extreme.
Yep, all my fault. You are right. Steve jobs is the devil. the Apple iphone will crack if you look at it wrong. And you couldn't make a call on AT& T's network if your life depended on it.

Congrats you have changed all our minds.

Please move on nothing to see here.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #59
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yes, it happens.

This is the iphone that the new iphone 4 will be replacing. It is an original Edge iphone purchased the 2nd day they were available. never had a single day of trouble and never broke the glass.

Tony,
You are in fact a testament to the durability of this phone.
You have used it for quite some time and it shows its wear on the cover but the glass is intact indeed.

I have dropped mine many, many times now. Furthermore, my grandson has dropped it twice as much as I have. My floor in my home where it has usually landed is tiles. When it has landed on tiles, it has landed on a driveway or patio. Granted, no damage in terms of scratches on case due to the Incipio cover but the exposed glass has never chipped or cracked to date.

I can only imagine the abuse it took with folks that have cracked them or the oddity of a complete freak chance as mine has been tough for two years now. I think the Incipio type case is well worth it also and doesn't add bulk at all that is noticeable.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #60
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Again with my clouded judgement, I see one of the most technologically advance pieces of mobile communication ever to come to market. I will gladly punk down my money and drink the kool-aid.
The irony...