Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
dentonparrots

Default Gispert Toro

This was the first day of the year that was relatively mild and sunny so I decided to review the Gispert Toro whilst playing frisbee with the dog in the back garden (hence my dirty fingers). Sorry about the lighting in the photos, the sun didn't know what it weas doing, and neither did the camera!

The outer wrapper was very smooth with veins that were almost as good as they come, making an almost velvet finish. The band was simple and did its job well.
Its scent was of hay and tea...loads. I mean it literally jumps right out at you in droves, more so than probably any other stogie I’ve ever came across.

Although it punched and the pre-draw wasn't bad, it was slightly less than my ideal so I widened the hole a small amount by nibbling at its sides with the punch to make an almost clover like shape.

The first inch burned with well considering I was outside and there was a slight breeze, producing a dark grey ash. The tastes at this point were of tea, medium spice and a touch of black pepper.
After the first inch it turned creamier, with an ever so slight tangy-ness trying to get through and this continued all the way through the first third with the spices coming and going.

The middle section had a return of the hay tastes and an overall creamier taste, but still this almost menthol tang was in their somewhere mixed in with an earthy taste..it was either a very complex cigar up to this point or I was over-analysing it!

In the bottom third I picked up a good blend of all the tastes I’d had so far but more of the tanginess with less spice on the tongue, instead leaving a tingle on my lips.

Overall I enjoyed the cigar for what it was, a mid-day mild-medium smoke. I’d recommend them in the same situation again but I’d like to try them with some age on too, I think the flavours are there to make this into a great mild-medium stogie with time.
They are priced at under $2.50 each which I think is amazing value for them and I'll probably buy some of these in the near future just to let age, and for a milder smoke.

Last edited by dentonparrots; 04-05-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gispert Toro

nice review Carl, makes me wanna buy some.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Smoke Naked
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
Smoke Naked is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gispert Toro

nice review, another great priced smoke to add to the already huge list of things to try

♥ ♦ Palio Fanboy Here ♣ ♠
Smoke Naked is offline   Reply With Quote