Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Playboy robusto

I had seen these cigars in the past and always left them for what they are, as I was afraid it would be a bad cigar due to the Playboy logo. I expected this to be a ‘status symbol’ cigar, made for posers instead of true cigar lovers. The appearance of this 5 x 52 cigar is pretty with a flawless dark wrapper. The oily Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper has hardly any veins although it has some spots on it. The cigar band is simple, black with a silver edge and a silver Playboy logo printed on it. The construction seems to be good, I didn’t feel any hard of soft spots on inspecting this cigar with its Dominican, Nicaraguan and Peruvian filler with the Connecticut broadleaf binder. I did notice that the wrapper has a very smooth feel to it. The aroma is quite nice with a barnyard feel to it. Cutting it with my Palio was easy. The predraw is pretty light and leaves me with a sweet but peppery flavor on the lips.

Upon lighting the cigar with my torch could taste coffee, full flavored with a hint of nutty toast. After a few puffs, the nutty flavor grows in strength. The coffee flavor slowly disappears while the nutty flavor grows. The toasty aftertaste remains. After about a third the coffee flavor is gone completely and its all nuts and toast.

At the halfway point the toasty aftertaste is replaced by a chocolate flavor and later on even some pepper. At 2/3rd the cigar gains power and becomes hot, it leaves a bit of a burning sensation on the tip of my tongue but the flavors are still very nice. I slow my smoking down to let the cigar cool a little and the burning sensation disappears so I can enjoy the last few puffs and part from this surprisingly good cigar.

The cigar produces a nice amount of smoke. The burn is flawless until midway, the burn starts to get crooked there and its getting hard to keep the cigar lit. After I corrected it, the burn was fine again. The draw started as a bit too easy but the resistance increased along the way without becoming too hard. The silver gray ash is a perfect combination with the silver & black band with Playboy logo. At the end, the ash splitted.

The cigar starts out as a medium bodied cigar, but it grown in strength to a full to medium bodied cigar with quite some nicotine build up, it made me a little light headed. Flavor wise I can only say that this is a full flavored smoke.

Would I buy this cigar again? If the price is right, yeah!

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Appearance: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 8 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 8 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 03-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: Playboy robusto

Thanks for the review
Old 03-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Great review!!!

You were spot on with the flavor and strength profile!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
AllOGistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I had seen these cigars in the past and always left them for what they are, as I was afraid it would be a bad cigar due to the Playboy logo. I expected this to be a ‘status symbol’ cigar, made for posers instead of true cigar lovers.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this cigar. If the price is right, I may have to at least try one. Thanks for the review.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Wanger

Now I may actually be interested in trying one. Hopefully some models come with them.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
yellowgoat

Are these the same Playboy cigars by Don Diego just with a new band? I really liked them.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

as far as I know, these are made by Altadis.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Now I may actually be interested in trying one. Hopefully some models come with them.

Thanks for the review.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I got mine in the 3 for $9 sampler and yes at $3 I would say they are a great cigar.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Quote:
Altadis is still running there offer, 3 for $7.95.

Link.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
bookman

I'll try one. I liked the Diego Pboys.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
Waynegro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRebel View Post
Altadis is still running there offer, 3 for $7.95.

Link.
I just bit on this deal again, yesterday. They take a while to arrive, but you can't beat the price.

Thanks for the GREAT review (as usual).
Old 03-31-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
rMcSmokesAlot

Sweet review, they'll be reciving a visit tomorrow
Old 03-31-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
ROTHNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman View Post
I'll try one. I liked the Diego Pboys.
This cigar is nothing like the Don Diego version.

Playboy by Don Diego = Mild.

Playboy = Full Flavored.

Personally I found them at opposite ends of the spectrum -- i.e. the former is very mild and the latter is very full.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks Ferdie.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote