Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #441
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wristwatch collectors out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Is that good to not have a bubble window?
The bubble window is neat, but it's something style wise is exclusive to Rolex, as is the trident start hour hand. Any watch with those styling queues looks like Rolex imitation.

It does not deter it from being a quality watch, just not as original looking.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #442
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

i just made a purchase, bought a sweet hommage, pics to come when it gets here! 50mm big'n
Old 01-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #443
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

All divers watches share the same styling ques..they kinda have to. The Longines Hydroconquest looks nothing like a Rolex Submariner...I personally owned one (as well as 3 submariners) and it was an awesome watch. It has much heft to it and it very solid...fit and finish wise it cannot be beat for the price.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #444
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
All divers watches share the same styling ques..they kinda have to. .
I'll agree with you due to the thick bezels and the big lumes... but i see huge aesthetic differences in many divers... some i like, some i do not.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #445
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
i just made a purchase, bought a sweet hommage, pics to come when it gets here! 50mm big'n
an hommage of what?
Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #446
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
an hommage of what?
well i just guess you'll have to wait Mr. Florida!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #447
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Longines name I think has suffered some with lower end products on the market. They should drop them like Omega did. I really dig Longines Charles Lindbergh line. Very classic and understated. A watch you won't get sick of too fast.
Agreed. A good friend was an authorized dealer for quite a while and, from what I understand, another issue they had in the American market was when they allowed them to be manufactured for a while and sold in the US under their label but without really any quality control. For the money, I think they make a very good watch and I'd take one over a Tag and the like.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #448
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
This is what I was looking at. Could you tell me your thoughts on it?

Dan, i want to give you my opinion with the warmest of regard as you are an amazing person/BOTL. Its a very classic look dan. With that being said it is also a look that many manufacturers copy and exploit.

I have two points to make.

My opinion (and keep in mind i am just stating how i feel, not telling you how to live your life) is this; the first highend watch you buy (just my opinion) should be something classic that will last a lifetime without going out of style. Think of the possibilities. You can wear it with anything and then pass it down to your son and so on. The watch you posted has a very classic look to it and if this is your first high end watch it is a winning choice.

Point number 2.

After I had my first high end watch or in some cases my "holy grail" I am exploring more "less mainstream" timepieces (in regards to design) because I have a foundation that is special to me and will last a lifetime.

So i guess my main point is this. If that watch is your first high-end timepiece. GO FOR IT! If you already have a classic style highend timepiece spend some time on a good watch forum and see what else is out there before committing to spending another big chunk.

Regardless, its a great looking watch and its very aesthetically pleasing as well (probably why its a very common design). I hope you enjoy whatever watch you decide to buy!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #449
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
Agreed. A good friend was an authorized dealer for quite a while and, from what I understand, another issue they had in the American market was when they allowed them to be manufactured for a while and sold in the US under their label but without really any quality control. For the money, I think they make a very good watch and I'd take one over a Tag and the like.

Longines has some watches that are cast the brand in a negative light. There are a lot of Nazi era emblem Longines army watches They are also infamous for their 1972 Munich Olympic watch which actually quite nice looking, but questionable poor taste to wear.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #450
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

holla at a playa!
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #451
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_mike View Post
holla at a playa!
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #452
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_mike View Post
holla at a playa!
Looks like the finished product of the line Moses' company was working on? Let me guess, this is the Sport's Model, right? Perpetual Movement one...
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #453
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Looks like the finished product of the line Moses' company was working on? Let me guess, this is the Sport's Model, right? Perpetual Movement one...
Funny the style is very similar to what we were working on. Would've been a lot cheaper make it in fabric!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #454
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Funny the style is very similar to what we were working on. Would've been a lot cheaper make it in fabric!
Moses, just funning with you :-) The styles look similar plus this one has an added advantage of true "scratch proof case" as well as some other uses, basketball/tennis sweatband among them (main reason I called it a Sports Model) :-)

Plus, it can used to buff polish other watches in your collection...
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #455
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Dan,

Might want to check out www.lum-tec.com

They are a small batch watch manufacturer out of Mentor, OH that is really starting to gain popularity. They do pieces in runs of 50-100, then move onto the next one. All are hand crafted, some using swiss ETA movements, some using Japenese auto movements, and some using quartz movements. Their pieces range from $600-$1500. They've recently been featured in Maxim, Playboy, and various other publications. I just got the M7 Tungsten from them which I love. I find myself grabbing my M7 before some of my bigger brand name pieces. It really is a looker. They have many to choose from, and many come with two straps, and in some cases, a bracelet. Here are some pictures they sent me of the final product before they shipped it out to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m7bracelet3.jpg (23.8 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg M71538.jpg (28.1 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg M76538.jpg (28.1 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg M7lumeweb.21140917_std.jpg (15.6 KB, 348 views)
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #456
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info guys!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #457
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Dan,

Might want to check out www.lum-tec.com

They are a small batch watch manufacturer out of Mentor, OH that is really starting to gain popularity. They do pieces in runs of 50-100, then move onto the next one. All are hand crafted, some using swiss ETA movements, some using Japenese auto movements, and some using quartz movements. Their pieces range from $600-$1500. They've recently been featured in Maxim, Playboy, and various other publications. I just got the M7 Tungsten from them which I love. I find myself grabbing my M7 before some of my bigger brand name pieces. It really is a looker. They have many to choose from, and many come with two straps, and in some cases, a bracelet. Here are some pictures they sent me of the final product before they shipped it out to me.
I knew the owner of this company before he made his first watch. His real selling feature is the lume he is using. To me he is a great guy, but his designs are from other makers. Panerai (who he started out modding) and Anonimo.

Here is an Anonimo:

Old 01-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #458
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Yeah he was in the luming business before making watches. Agreed, some models are close to Panerai's and IWC's, however others are very unique. I plan on reserving his 2010 M22 Tungsten hand wind model come March. It's looking to be a real beauty and will feature an ETA 6498-1 decorated movement which is a very nice movement. I love the font that's being used on it as well.

Another company making nice watches is Steinhardt out of Germany. Their pieces are similar to some of IWC's.

My next watch related purchase is going to be the new Diver Pro II strap that Breitling just came out with for my Heritage 46. It's much cleaner than the Diver Pro that spells out Breitling really big all over it. After that, I'm taking it easy for a while.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #459
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

<---- Has been in love with Anonimo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Here is an Anonimo:

Old 01-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #460
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Just came in, U-boat hommage... Love it, its huge! 50mm