Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
magz
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
magz is on a distinguished road
Default Newb checking in...humidor suggestions requested.

Hello,

First off, I've browsed through this forum a bit and I like what I see in regards to layout, content, aesthetics, etc. So definitely keep up the good work!

A bit about me...I've been smoking cigars occasionally off-and-on for the last 15 years or so. However, I never really thought about purchasing a humidor until recently. I live within a mile or so of a pretty good tobacco shop in Minneapolis (Golden Leaf, for any locals on the board), and I have traditionally just purchased single sticks at the store in person. However, I've started thinking about buying different sampler packs and specials online in order to help broaden my horizons a bit while avoiding paying full retail prices. In order to do this, I'll need a humidor.

I know a bit about the basics:

-I need a Spanish cedar wood interior.
-A good seal is critical. Glass tops look cool, but I am ruling them out in the name of function-over-form.
-I'll ditch the analog hydrometer and pick up a digital replacement.
-I'll properly season the humidor over the course of a week or two.

Now, my question to you, is what humidor suggestions do you have for a first timer? Ideally I'd like something that is:

-Under $100.
-75 count minimum. 100 or maybe 125 count preferable. I won't have many cigars initially, but I'd like to have room to expand a bit as my tastes grow.
-Constructed decently. No eBay crap that will break immediately.

That's it. Type of exterior wood doesn't matter. Bells and whistles don't matter. I just want a functional, solid humidor that won't break the bank and will hold a desired Rh without too much hassle.

Any suggestions? So far I have come up with these as possible purchases...

-Cuban Crafters 120 count for $70. Seems to be the best value, but then again I don't know how realistic the quoted retail price of $199 is.

-CI's 75-100 count Bally Rosewood. $70. Has a lock, but that's not a real selling point to me. My buddy's dad used to buy from CI's catalog so based on that experience, it sounds like a reputable shop.

-Cheap Humidor's 100-120 count Tuscany. $60. Has Sure Seal, which I gather is good(?).

So what say you, old wise ones? Are there any better suggestions for me?

Thanks for the input!
magz is offline   Reply With Quote