Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough
Default "Cigar Vacations"?

Where in the US would be a good (and preferably cheap) place to take a "cigar vacation"? In other words, visit rolling factories huge shops, relatively low taxes on cigars, etc etc?

Ive been thinking of going on one of these trips during my christmas vacation, if the price is right.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
vicvitola

Default Re: "Cigar Vacations"?

Good question!

Just south of Florida, west of the DR and east of Mexico would be an ideal low cost cigar vacation IMO
Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Probably Florida, the Cuban section of Miami in particular. I've seen a rolling factory in the Bronx, NY, but I don't think there's enough in that section of the Bronx to warrant more than one day's time.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvitola View Post
Good question!

Just south of Florida, west of the DR and east of Mexico would be an ideal low cost cigar vacation IMO
Maybe one day in the future...

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Florida…where they roll Tatuajes and other cigars.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I'd suggest Key West. Not sure how inexpensive that would be, but it would make a great (yes, "fabulous" ) vacation and there are many boutique cigar shops (see link.)

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Cigary

Tampa,,,more cigar places than you can shake a stick at. If you want to progress further into South Florida it's the same thing. I love Key West as I took my touring motorcycle down there when I lived in Palm Beach Gardens and stayed for a few nights at a nice hotel ( 3 star ) for under $100 and just watched the sky, drink some beer and vino, smoked a ton of cigars and I still remember those 3 days.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
Trading: (10)
duckmanco is on a distinguished road

Little Havana was flat out AWESOME. Cigar smoke in the air when you step out of the car, walk up cafe cubanos, El Rey De Los Habanos, LGC, El Titan De bronze, and now Padilla's new lounge/factory........ can't wait to go back.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
MiloFinch

Aside from Little Havana, which would be freaking awesome, let us not forget the Cigar Factory New Orleans.

I've never been, nor had one of their cigars, but I've been dying to for a while now. I only live a couple of hours from it.

There's also the Davidoff Shop on Madison Ave in New York.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I've been meaning to take a road trip with the wife to Miami. Maybe I will be able to get there this summer(Fingers Crossed) I may not want to leave though!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
dcamacho

i definitely want to go to Cancun or Miami ... one day ... one day!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloFinch View Post

There's also the Davidoff Shop on Madison Ave in New York.
That shop was really cool, but not worth doing as destination IMO. I did all the bigtime cigar shops in the city in an afternoon, Davidoff, JR, Nat Shermon, etc. Cool to do if you are in NYC but not worth going to NYC just to do if that makes sense. Your results may vary though.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
MiloFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
That shop was really cool, but not worth doing as destination IMO. I did all the bigtime cigar shops in the city in an afternoon, Davidoff, JR, Nat Shermon, etc. Cool to do if you are in NYC but not worth going to NYC just to do if that makes sense. Your results may vary though.
Yeah, I figured not, just wanted to toss that out there.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloFinch View Post
Yeah, I figured not, just wanted to toss that out there.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough

So Florida around little Havana eh? Any BOTL's from around the area that would

1. Know the area and cheap places to rent a car and stay?

2. Know the area and wouldn't mind being compensated for showing a brother around?
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Little Havana is a great idea. If you'll have a rental car you could make the trip up to Ybor in Tampa and hit two cigar hotspots in one trip.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
dueceswild67

I've traveled to most of the places listed in the thread & here's my opinion.
Ybor City is a nice place to visit-great restaurants,good atmosphere. There are a few cigar shops there, some even roll their own right there. The prices are all retail, so don't go looking for a bargain. There's alot to do in the Tampa area-beach, Tarpon Springs. I would rate it as maybe a 6 or so.

Little Havana- Authentic Cuban. 4-5 cigar shops, La Gloria Cubana has a nice shop there with a rolling shop next door. Again this is mostly retail so no real bargains here. Little Havana is also a little sketchy. I would not recommend staying the night here. If you wantto stay in the Miami are I would recommend you stay on South Beach. There are some very nice hotels right on the beach at a very reasonable price. I think we paid $60/night. Nice dining. Good bars. Fun shopping. You can walk right across the street to the beach. And don't forget South Beach is topless! I would rate this as an 8.

I was in New Orleans before the hurricane. At that time there was a nice place near jackson Square that made their own. Good cigar,great atmosphere near Bourbon Street.

I just got back from Cancun. I stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas. This place is all inclusive, so its a little more spendy but well worth it. All you can eat & drink. The hotel was awesome! You can walk down the street & but all the cigars you want, even the real Cubans. Just beware many of these are Mexican knockoffs. Mexican cigars with some very good Cuban labels. Do your homework before you buy any Cubans here, they are out there. Cuba is only 200 miles away from Cancun, so if your willingt o take to trip..........
I would rate tis as a 9-10.

Next I think I'll try the Dominican Republic. Most cigars come from here & the resorts are great.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dueceswild67 View Post
I've traveled to most of the places listed in the thread & here's my opinion.
Ybor City is a nice place to visit-great restaurants,good atmosphere. There are a few cigar shops there, some even roll their own right there. The prices are all retail, so don't go looking for a bargain. There's alot to do in the Tampa area-beach, Tarpon Springs. I would rate it as maybe a 6 or so.

Little Havana- Authentic Cuban. 4-5 cigar shops, La Gloria Cubana has a nice shop there with a rolling shop next door. Again this is mostly retail so no real bargains here. Little Havana is also a little sketchy. I would not recommend staying the night here. If you wantto stay in the Miami are I would recommend you stay on South Beach. There are some very nice hotels right on the beach at a very reasonable price. I think we paid $60/night. Nice dining. Good bars. Fun shopping. You can walk right across the street to the beach. And don't forget South Beach is topless! I would rate this as an 8.

I was in New Orleans before the hurricane. At that time there was a nice place near jackson Square that made their own. Good cigar,great atmosphere near Bourbon Street.

I just got back from Cancun. I stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas. This place is all inclusive, so its a little more spendy but well worth it. All you can eat & drink. The hotel was awesome! You can walk down the street & but all the cigars you want, even the real Cubans. Just beware many of these are Mexican knockoffs. Mexican cigars with some very good Cuban labels. Do your homework before you buy any Cubans here, they are out there. Cuba is only 200 miles away from Cancun, so if your willingt o take to trip..........
I would rate tis as a 9-10.

Next I think I'll try the Dominican Republic. Most cigars come from here & the resorts are great.
Welcome to Cigar Asylum. Most of our new members post an introduction in the New Inmate forum. Feel free to do so. We're a friendly bunch.

Now, as to buying real Cubans on the streets of Cancun . . . .
Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #19
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

How about going to a HERF that is out of state?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #20
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Kentucky is NOT a vacation Dan!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote