Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Extreme Temperature Edgestar Modifications

DISCLAIMER: This thread is intended for: Those of us that laugh when someone posts “I don’t have my vino plugged in all the time.”, those of us who would need a jacket if we kept the house at 70, those of us who put away a small amount a money each month to buy another vino next year to replace the one we have when it dies due to overwork. In other words if it hasn’t been over 110 in the last month where you live and you had no idea that the weather service puts out heat index advisories then it probably isn’t for you but you might enjoy it anyways. Or this might be for those of you with an Edgestar wanting to see how I modified it as it is different from a Vino

FORWARD:
I began smoking cigars in 1998 ago but only started keeping a humidor in 2003 while living in Alaska. Temperature wasn’t an issue, at least for storage, as baseboard water heaters and a boiler are really efficient even at -20F. After moving back to the Texas border I knew heat would be an issue and started looking for an answer, enter the Vino. As the Vino’s were expensive I went with an EdgeStar TWR282S which is nearly the same in size to the classic 28 bottle Vino.

BACKGROUND:
My house varies in the day from 85 degrees to 78 while home. This is simply unavoidable unless I want a $400 electric bill as the outside temperature is over 100 since early June. I do keep the Edgestar in the most interior and therefore coolest room to avoid portions of the house that go above 85 in the day.

TESTING:
I used open cedar shelves from various humidors with some boxes in the vino. I tried a combination of beads and hydra. With the Hydra and up to 2lbs of beads and an open drain humidity varied between 49% and 79% with top and bottom readings within 3-5% of each other. Up to three fans were used plugged into the hydra expansion to even out the humidity but did not help change the swings. Water was required to be added to the hydra every day and would collect in the drain tray. In fact I found that I could pour the contents of the drain right back into the hydra to fill it up. Three pounds of beads were used with an open drain and again rH varied from 52% to 64%. Water condensation in the drain continued and constant maintenance to the beads needed. After the drain was plugged the hydra continued to see rH swings from 54% to 72%. Finally three pounds of beads were added with it stabilizing at 58% to 65%. Water continued to collect at the bottom of the Edgestar however and a MacGyver solution was required. With the mods and two pounds of beads, the extra pound provides no benefit; the rH at 85F room temp is 61 to 63% and will stabilize and maintain 65% at 78F all day long.

TO PLUG OR NOT: After attempting to keep the rH constant I say plug it. As you can see in the pic the Edgestar has a train in the middle of the back. Conveniently the drain is threaded and a nice 5/16”-18 Acorn nut with some plumbers ptfe tape does it quite well.

MODS: The Edgestar doesn’t have the S drain. The cooling unit drips to a collection point on the back wall and into the drain assembly. Due to the temperature variations and the fact the unit is always on due to the amount of temp difference condensation is unavoidable. So a pound of beads at the bottom in an aluminum pie tin with a tape ramp for water drips. A fan is powered by the source of a hydra and is always on to dry out the excess water dripping into the pie tin. This also provides enough circulation to dry out the bottom of the Edgestar. Next while awaiting ChasDen’s shelves I MacGyver’d some stackable trays from the universal French store with a bulls eye logo to put my singles in and reduce the effects of humidity swings on those sticks. Another pound of beads is divided in four bags, two at the top and two sort of in the middle.

kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: Extreme Temperature Edgestar Modifications

Custom box tops made out of cardboard to control internal humidity.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Jason...you're a regular McGyver aren't ya??? LOL!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Necessity is the mother of all invention.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
starmike

This is a big help for me.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
MortonMilo
Blowing smoke

First Name: R
Trading: (10)
MortonMilo has disabled reputation

Jason, I have the same setup as you, without the fan. Still having trouble keeping my rh above 60...think a fan might help! What kind of fan you using?
MortonMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Jason...you're a regular McGyver aren't ya??? LOL!!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonMilo View Post
Jason, I have the same setup as you, without the fan. Still having trouble keeping my rh above 60...think a fan might help! What kind of fan you using?
What I am using is the power supply side of a Humicare without the main body. The fans are plugged directly into the power supply, the part you can see taped to the side of the vino above, and run 24/7. CI sells additional fans but you can also order 2 wire computer fans from Newegg or pick them up at a Fry's.