Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
qingleung

Default "Hong Kong Cigar Shop Guide": places to buy cigars

I'll start from Wanchai and Causeway Bay area. Hope this helps!

1. Name: Club Cigarism
Add:2/F, 521 Lockhart Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong(Behind Sogo, Metro D1 Exit)
Tel:+852 28915600
Opening Hours:12:00 noon-Midnight(Mon-Sat)
12:00 noon -22:00(Sun, holidays)

Comments: This cigar store was opened in early 2009. When I walked out the Burberry store at Sogo the other day, I was attracted by its eye-catching outdoor black&white sign with Che Guevara and the slogan "life is fun, live it!".

This prime-locating store is about 600SF, and could accommodate up to 20 people at the same time, making it the biggest cigar club in the area. When it comes to cigars, I found many rare puros such as Partagas 15 Sublime, Cohiba/RyJ/Hoyo Book Ediction, Ramon Allones Phoenicio and other regional editions etc to name few, selling at the lowest prices in town.

According to the manager Rocky Fung, the founder of this club is a long-time cigar smoker and decided to transform his office into a private cigar club for one big reason: Hong Kong's smoking ban in July 2009. Well, that’s a good and luxuary solution for a smoker.

PS: remember to have a look at the store's collection of fake Cuban cigars, educational and interesting!

Smoking Room: Yes
Lockers: Yes
VIP Room: Yes
Wireless Lan: Yes
TV, DVD, Printing&Fax: Free for VIPs

Value for money(10):9
Smoking room(10):8
Location(10):10
Services(10):8
Total Scores: 35/40

2. Name: Cigar Time
ADD: 1/F., The Excelsior, Hong Kong, 281 Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.
Tel: +852 2882 6928
Opening Hours: (Mon - Sat) 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
(Sun & Public holiday) 12:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Comments: Just 5 minutes away from Club Cigarism, Cigar Time is located in Excelsior Hotel 1/F. This tiny store sells their cigars mainly to hotel's customers, as well as customers from Dickson's Bar. Local smokers seldom buy here since the cigars and accessories are over-pricing. Cigar Time try to justify their pricing strategy by explaining that their source of cigars is Pacific Cigars Company(PCC). Well, since I can get a 30% off from their supplier, what is the point of buying from Cigar Time then? But I do think that Cigar Time is smart to focus their taget customers on tourists.

In spite of the hyper prices, one good development about Cigar Time is that they opened their members-only smoking room inside the hotel in 2009, the room has about 8 seats with high-ceiling and very nicely ventilated.

Smoking Room: Yes, members only
VIP Room: No
Wireless Lan: No
TV, DVD: TV only
Printing&Fax: No

Value for money(10):4
Smoking room(10):6
Location(10):9
Services(10):7
Total Scores: 26/40

3. Name: Acanta
Comments: Owned by Bluebell Group, the exclusive distributor for Davidoff for Hong Kong market. Acanta store is located at the lobby of Parklane hotel, 5 minutes away from the metro station. I always have the impression that all cigar stores in the hotels are over-pricing, and this is proved by Acanta again. However, comparing with Cigar Time, Acanta has better quality of cigars and standard of storage.

This store is good for buy and go only since they have no smoking room.

Add:Shop D4, Parklane Hotel. Causeway Bay
Tel:+852 2576 7665

Smoking Room: No(but you can still smoke at the opposite George and Co Bar before July 2009)
Lockers: No
VIP Room: No
TV, DVD: No

Value for money(10):5
Smoking room(10): N/A
Location(10):8
Total Scores: 21/30

Reference: more Bluebell cigar stores: (http://www.bluebellgroup.com/hk/shoplist/):
Davidoff(The Landmark) Shop G12, The Landmark, Queen's Road, Central
2525 5428
Davidoff(The Peninsula) Shop E3A, Peninsula Hotel, Salisbury Road, Kowloon 2368 5774
New World Centre Shop L144, New World Centre, Salisbury Road, Kowloon
2721 5520
Acanta
Gateway Arcade Shop 3323, Gateway Arcade, Harbour City, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon 2175 5169

4. Name Cigarros Inn
Comments: All my local cigar friends simply call this store "4/F", and never call it by name for 2 reasons. Firstly since people have to "climb"' up 4 floors to get to the shop(this building has no lift), and secondly because we don't think a store selling fakes deserves a name.

At my first-time visit in 2006, I was so happy about the choices of the EL cigars they had in the store. However, I found that many of them had no 3-caps, and even found some Montecristo EL 2000 with a new label on. Out of curiosity, I bought some and tried, well...fakes!!

After so many years, they are still selling fakes, but mainly to tourists from mainland China(especially who speak Mandarin). Cigarros Inn is the only cigar store I would suggest NOT going in Hong Kong, unless you have no choices.

Add: 4th Floor, 22 Russell Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 28388687

Smoking Room: Yes
TV, DVD: Yes

Value for money(10):0
Smoking room(10):6
Location(10):4
Total Scores: 18/40

source: Fred Leung

Last edited by icehog3; 04-22-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Improper vendor link removed.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
qingleung

Default Re: "Hong Kong Cigar Shop Guide": places to buy ci

if this helps, i'll post more stores in hong kong.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Please remember to read the rules before posting.

Cigar Asylum does not allow links to purveyors of Cuban Cigars as they are illegal in the USA.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I deleted one of the links, it went directly to a company selling Cuban cigars via the internet.

As Dave mentioned, please familiarize yourself with Cigar Aslylum rules and policies before posting any vendor names or links.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote