Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #1901
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I need to check Adorama....I have been seeing that name since I have been buying cameras,
and have never even LOOKED there. I am so loyal to B&H since that is where I buy all the gear I use
at work. I like to be loyal, especially when they are SO competitive on price. But for used gear,
I guess being 'competitive" on the latest gear is really not as much of a factor. I DO need to look
at their site.
I tend to find Adorama cheaper. The Macbook I am looking at is about $400 cheaper there. Shipping is a bit higher though so it would be wise to factor that in. However, you can get better shipping prices if you buy through their ebay shop.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #1902
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Justin, are those HDR? The colors look very saturated. I like em.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #1903
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I found a shot I did with blur, lol.

I wish I had used my time more wisely last night and
posted some pics from New Orleans I shot with my
$75 camera, but I had a delivery of computer parts and
had to assemble them. In the end I had the wrong power
supply, so the time I spent was wasted for the most part.
But I have not safari'ed out there to shoot in a long time.
I need to work out some cameras and see what comes of it.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #1904
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Justin, are those HDR? The colors look very saturated. I like em.
Could also be Photoshop...Although the woodsy one looks a little HDR boosted, too.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #1905
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
I tend to find Adorama cheaper. The Macbook I am looking at is about $400 cheaper there. Shipping is a bit higher though so it would be wise to factor that in. However, you can get better shipping prices if you buy through their ebay shop.
You and me are looking for and at different things then. EVERYTHING I have ever looked to buy for
work or for me has been a virtual tie with the lowest legit price I have been able to find. Now I can find
very respectable-seeming sites offering grey market items that BEAT the hell out of B&H, but apples to apples,
I come down on the B&H side. Lemme show you,

http://www.adorama.com/BOTH770.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ce_Tripod.html

http://www.adorama.com/SOHVRHD1000U.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...efinition.html

It goes on like that product after product. And keep in mind, I only stay with B&H because of our track
record and their performance. I always believe if it doesn't hurt you, stay with one vendor for as much
as you can, because you are buying clout. If I bounced all over, I would be a big buyer of optical elect-
ronics, but not enough to where any one vendor could look at my records and say, 'damn, I need to get
cracking and fix this guy's issue fast." I buy a lot of pro-sumer video and audio equipment, and a lot of
personal cameras and tripods and memory cards and all sorts of photography and video-related stuff.
Almost every item I shop, they have the lowest legit price. I can get that Sony Camera for $1100-$1200
dollars if I don't mind getting a Chinese copy or one that fell off of a truck somewhere.

If you see a price a lot lower than B&H, step back and thoroughly evaluate your deal. And of
course, I only defend that statement as far as it might serve YOU. My mind is made up but by
far, I don't know all of the best websites for gear. I just can relate what has worked for me
over time. MANY SITES have the SAME price, I just prefer to accept the B&H price, all things
being equal.

Last edited by OLS; 02-26-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #1906
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Looks like those are the same prices. If B&H works for you, fantastic. I was just inputting my experience at Adorama (it seemed like you were seeking input). I have bought from both places. I do agree there is a lot of benefit buying from one vendor, if possible. I just do not buy enough to have that kind of clout.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #1907
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Looks like those are the same prices. If B&H works for you, fantastic. I was just inputting my experience at Adorama (it seemed like you were seeking input). I have bought from both places. I do agree there is a lot of benefit buying from one vendor, if possible. I just do not buy enough to have that kind of clout.
I replied pretty clumsily, I feel the same way, whatever works for you. On any given day we will all find
an item that is unique to us that bonds us forever to a vendor because of that sweet deal. Its also force
of habit.

As far as me shopping Adorama, it is more out of curiousity that made me say I would check it out, not need.
If I buy one more camera, I am turning myself in to a real asylum. I am supposed to be saving for a house,
but instead I keep coming up with half-baked excuses to spend money on cameras and video gear.

On an un-related but creepy note, I just found out I am finally gonna be forced to earn my money.
The boss is angling to get a big bed bug job, and its the perfect house to shoot the video he has been
wanting to shoot for YEARS. The Fu(kr just handed me a tyvek suit and a full faced respirator. Now for
most of the people who work here, ehh, its part of their job. I AM USED TO sitting in my office and
throwing together an occasional flyer or brochure, 30 sec commercial or something innocuous like that.
Shizle just got serus.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #1908
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Bed bugs are gross.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #1909
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

I didn't do the editing on those. One of the COs I work with did. I just who the image. He has a photog business on the side. He said he used Lightroom, and he used the HDR preset, reduced the noise, then tweaked color to his satisfaction.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #1910
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Oh it's on like donkey kong!

Untitled by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #1911
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

To me B&H and Adorama are a tie. I've hade great experience with both places and only hear great things about them.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #1912
OLS
Suck It

OK, just to make everyone feel better, I bought a Used DSLR today, about what you would expect for someone
like me, a Nikon D70. Funny thing is, this morning, there were THREE used D70s to be had, and sometime between
leaving work at 4pm and getting home and opening up a browser at 6, somebody snatched the Grade "9"
one I had in my cart. The reason I did not buy it at work was that I figured, with all these newer and better
items for sale worldwide, who is gonna buy an ancient D70? Then by the time I got the "8+" into my cart and
paid for this evening, ALL of the D70s were gone from B&H. I thought I would have many days to make up my mind.
Quite simply I didn't need to spend any more money on cameras to tell the truth. I bailed out of checkout
at lunchtime, and then again at 4pm. I thought I could do this for a week or more, sell some cigars, maybe
sell a Point & Shoot, and then leisurely stroll over to B&H and get it next month. I KNOW this camera was great
in the early 2000s, and I know that there is a perfectly good reason to still want a 6 MP camera li9ke it in 2013,
but there is no way I thought that 3 would sell in a little under 3 hours today. I actually thought that maybe
Robulous had bought the "9" out from under me, lol. I was not so excited about getting a 1/2 grade lower model.

In the end, all I really want it for is your basic 18-55 stuff, I am not planning on shooting tele and long-reach shots
with it. I have capable P&S cameras for that and they do well enough. I am not really interested in changing lenses
and getting all caught up in what P&S makers tend to call a trap (and they can be right). For all intents, this will
end up being a large sensor, fixed lens, portraiture and landscape camera. One I will be proud to have in my bag.
Now I have to get rid of one P&S to make room.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #1913
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

damn brad, a knockdown dragged out fight over some d70s huh? Crazy
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #1914
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Snagged a shot of "Peanut" taking a lil nap.

IMG_0057 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #1915
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
damn brad, a knockdown dragged out fight over some d70s huh? Crazy
I still can't believe it...that's how I KNOW the government is watching me.

As a camera though, it is a pretty entry-level item, but I would be lying if I said I didn't KNOW why
people still want them. It remains a very solid camera even after all that has happened since it
came out. Luckily with these types of cameras, bells and whistles aren't always necessary for taking
great photos. A bigger sensor alone makes it a better alternative to my "collection" of large lens P&Ss.
Is it a Flintstones DSLR?.....I think so, yeah. That woodpecker is gonna get a workout.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #1916
OLS
Suck It

I guess in the end it has to be the Canon. It doesn't have the reach that the other P&Ss in the bag
have. The only reason I keep it is for the Flickr group for it....A LOT of people learned how to take
good photos and how to work aperture and shutter speed and other essentials on this camera, and
the group is SO SAD these days with everyone bailing to DSLRs. There are some hold-outs (including
me) and it is A REALLY GREAT LITTLE CAMERA.

The HS20EXR NEARLY obsoletes the S200EXR, but I am convinced the older camera has the better,
if shorter-reach, lens. But to keep a long reach lens in the bag, I need to carry the HS20. I think the
S200 only goes 14x. If it was even 18x, I would have sold the HS20EXR the day the camera repair shop
fobbed it off on me in exchange for the pile of parts that was my old S200EXR. If anyone is confused,
I quickly went out and bought a replacement S200EXR....might have been a bad idea, but I LOVE that
camera. What I obviously should have done was realized that THAT was the time to grab the used DSLR.
Then I would not have 4 cameras and 3 spots in the bag.

Sigh, I guess the Canon stays home.

Last edited by OLS; 02-27-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #1917
OLS
Suck It

I guess in the end it has to be the Canon. It doesn't have the reach that the other P&Ss in the bag
have. The only reason I keep it is for the Flickr group for it....A LOT of people learned how to take
good photos and how to work aperture and shutter speed and other essentials on this camera, and
the group is SO SAD these days with everyone bailing to DSLRs. There are some hold-outs (including
me) and it is A REALLY GREAT LITTLE CAMERA. I shoot with it for the group, and because even though
it is technically obsolete with VGA video, it's 8MP sensor is sensible and effective and the damn camera
just keeps on GOING! You HAVE to pull for a Rudy like that.

The HS20EXR NEARLY obsoletes the S200EXR, but I am convinced the older camera has the better,
if shorter-reach, lens. But to keep a long reach lens in the bag, I need to carry the HS20. As I told you
all before, I am willing to own a DSLR, but I am not willing to own a lot of lenses. I draw my mania line
right there. As great a camera as the S200EXR is, I think it only goes 14x. If it was even 18x, I would
have sold the HS20EXR the day the camera repair shop fobbed it off on me in exchange for the pile of parts
that was my old S200EXR. If anyone is confused, I quickly went out and bought a replacement S200EXR....
Might have been a bad idea, but I LOVE that camera. What I obviously should have done was realized that
THAT was the time to grab the used DSLR...not invest in MORE P&Ss.
Then I would not have 4 cameras and 3 spots in the bag.

Sigh, I guess the Canon stays home.[/quote]

Last edited by OLS; 02-27-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #1918
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Girlfriend is an increasingly serious (and I'm told, talented) photographer working with a Canon T3i. Has 4 or 5 lenses, a couple of them pretty good (read expensive $700-1300 each.)

She will probably want to step up to full-frame in next year or so. I've been able to find nothing regarding use of current lenses (EF-S types.) At least nothing that I am even close to understanding. Maybe there isn't a simple yes/no answer....but, if one upgrades from crop-sensor to full-frame, are old lenses serviceable? Obsolete? Partially usable? Craigslist fodder?

Greatly appreciate an insight...in 3rd grader English, if possible.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #1919
OLS
Suck It

I THINK, from what little I know, that there is no reason to think they may be fodder.
Certain lenses may be fodder, but I think a lens with the proper mount system, would
only affect your framing and what the camera spit out relative to what the photographer
THINKS she took a photo of. That and of course, functionality of automated processes
that might vary camera family to camera family.

But MAN, am I ever the wrong person to ask. I just emailed B&H about something,
which I think you could also do....or Adorama. Someone there could help, in the
interest of selling her a full-frame soon. And of course, someone HERE will know better.
I am just the one here NOW, lol.

Based on what I see in the Lens section of Canon at B&H, it WILL indeed be a crap shoot.
Some winners and some losers. Some lenses say 'fits all digital cameras' and some say
'for film and digital SLR cameras' and some say 'for select digital cameras'.

Last edited by OLS; 02-27-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #1920
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I still can't believe it...that's how I KNOW the government is watching me.

As a camera though, it is a pretty entry-level item, but I would be lying if I said I didn't KNOW why
people still want them. It remains a very solid camera even after all that has happened since it
came out. Luckily with these types of cameras, bells and whistles aren't always necessary for taking
great photos. A bigger sensor alone makes it a better alternative to my "collection" of large lens P&Ss.
Is it a Flintstones DSLR?.....I think so, yeah. That woodpecker is gonna get a workout.
Well to me the new entry models may have upgrade software and sensors but the advantage the d70 has over those is that is has the screw drive AF motor in the body so It can use all AF lenses