Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Nica Libre (Padron's Stepchild)

Great thread going here about the Nica Libre...

Size: 4.5×46, Principe
Wrapper: San Andres Maduro
Binder: Nicaraguan Habano
Filler: Aged Nicaraguan
Strength: Medium
Price: Box of 20, $49.99 (Deal)
Grade: 8.9

The Nica Libre was created with the intention of being Padron’s stepchild. The San Andres Maduro wrapper on the Nica Libre is very similar to that used on the Padron Anniversary Maduro. There isn’t a ton of information on this cigar, so if you have some please leave a comment! I’ve heard on the boards that these may be a creation of AJ Fernandez, but nothing has been confirmed.

I’ve had these resting for about a year, so they are overdue! With not much else to speak of, let’s toast it.

Pre-light: 1.7:
This box-pressed, wafer-like petite Maduro was very clean. The triple cap was very well done and it was packed well throughout with no soft spots. The band is elegant with maroon and gold, even if it’s a knockoff of Padron. I love this size! The aroma and flavor on the cold draw were the same – sweet chocolate and creamy espresso.

Burn, 1.8:
The draw on the Principe was wide open, yet the burn was fairly slow. The ash layered very well and held well past an inch, which was impressive for a 46 ring gauge and a box press at that. The ash was hilly at times but never required any touch-ups. Thinking back, I can’t recall a cigar that produced this much smoke and at the same time had a slow and steady burn.

Flavor, 2.7:
Though full of flavor, the Nica Libre was a one-dimensional smoke for me. The finish throughout was very dry and earthy, and the dominant profile was sweet chocolate, without the bitterness. Throughout the smoke, there was a subtle creaminess that fought to break through the dryness, and only rarely made it to the surface. There were also notes of espresso and hazelnut with a palate-soaking finish. I’ve been on a non-Maduro kick as of late, so this was a nice, steady re-introduction.

Overall, 2.7:
I am not sure if these ever stay at retail, but at the current price point this is an exceptional cigar. With the 5-pack freebie, these sticks are $2 each, which is a solid price for these Nicaraguan candy bars! The burn was fabulous – in fact, if I was going to have one of those pictures made, of someone’s face shadowed and covered by smoke, I’d fire this one up! The flavor was top notch, albeit one-dimensional, and the construction was solid. I would absolutely recommend this as a box purchase; it’s my next one.

(Total: 8.9)
Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nica Libre (Padron's Stepchild)

I smoked one of these yesterday (review will follow) and was totally unimpressed by it, even though I usually like AJ Fernandez blends.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I smoked one of these yesterday (review will follow) and was totally unimpressed by it, even though I usually like AJ Fernandez blends.
Ahhh, which size did you have? If you haven't already, check the thread I mentioned. Lots of folks have noticed totally different experiences based on the size...not sure why it matters so much in this particular blend, but it seems to...
Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I smoked the torpedo.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Great review - I've got one sitting in the humi that was gifted to me and I'm looking forward to digging in. Curious to see if the cream notes come through the chocolate, and how it compares to your notes.
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

I agree. The Principe stands out as the best size in the line.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

Just picked up a box on the Devil Site for $34, with shipping, and I am stoked. I smoked two that I received in a Birthday Pass and I liked them.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Cigary

I picked up a fiver from CBID ( diplimaticos ) for $11. Hope they at least give me some worth.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
I picked up a fiver from CBID ( diplimaticos ) for $11. Hope they at least give me some worth.
TRUST ME, for that price? They sure will.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
TRUST ME, for that price? They sure will.
Good,,,I was kind of getting a lump in my throat from different perspectives on this line. I know this size is a bit more and wondered if it at least kept its profile as I like this size cigar. I am anxious to try it out but want to give it a fair shot and won't try one for at least a few weeks as I just got them in yesterday.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I enjoy these. I see a lot of people that don't but I feel like most of them go into it with the expectation of it tasting like a Padron since it looks like one. If you go into it with the thought that it's a $2-3 cigar you may be more pleasently supprised. JMHO
Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
I enjoy these. I see a lot of people that don't but I feel like most of them go into it with the expectation of it tasting like a Padron since it looks like one. If you go into it with the thought that it's a $2-3 cigar you may be more pleasently supprised. JMHO
I think Andy is right on. I think it was just a marketing thing to call them Padron knockoffs. Get some buzz about them n all. I am currently smoking the Torpedo and it's pretty good. Surely not a PAM 64 but for the $2 it very nice. I had a Principe about a week ago and it really was a great cigar. I don't like all of AJ Fernandez's stuff but almost all of it.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
That's right. I've got a cheap 5ver of the (Diplimatico?), like a churchill. It gets kinda boring by the end. I'd like to try the Prnicipe for $2. Probably a good buy.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for the nice review Matthew
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=880284

15 for 30 if you get in quick on the devil site. No I don't work for CI or for any cigar related industry although I should then my checks would come back to me.