Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #21
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which one, PS3 or XBox 360

XBOX 360 for life.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #22
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
XBOX 360 for life.
Or until the Red Ring of Death gets you...

(sorry, could not resist)
Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #23
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
PS3. Free online gameplay, free blu-ray player, better games. Oh yeah, I am always reading how Xbox guys are having to send theirs back to the factory b/c you get the "Red Ring of Death". Google it. That should convince you to get a PS3. I know I would hate to send my system away for a week every month or so.
The "Red Ring of Death" doesn't effect everyone, just mostly older ones and they are fixed for free by Microsoft, and for what its worth you can just take them to the place you bought them and get a replacement on the spot if you bought a $15 insurance policy.

I think the biggest advantage to the 360 is exclusive titles. Graphics are probably a wash.

PS3 does have the Blu-ray and the free online play.

I guess it is all about extras.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #24
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

I have both, but it just seems like the 360 has more FPS games. I pretty much only play FPS's. The PS3's bluray player is cool, but I only have to wait a week before the movies go from Bluray to PPV.

My
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #25
spincycle

I have both as well and a Wii. It really depends on what you want in a console. I use my PS3 mostly because the kind of games I play are mostly PS3 games. Also, I use it as a media server. It play BluRay, listen to MP3s, and watch downloaded movies. Xbox is great for sports and FPS, but I don't really play those kind of games too often.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #26
adampc22

ps3 is by far the best
Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #27
adampc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
XBOX 360 for life.
yeh but u like gurkhas so there
Old 12-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #28
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
I have both as well and a Wii. It really depends on what you want in a console. I use my PS3 mostly because the kind of games I play are mostly PS3 games. Also, I use it as a media server. It play BluRay, listen to MP3s, and watch downloaded movies. Xbox is great for sports and FPS, but I don't really play those kind of games too often.
I'm sort-of in the market and will buy myself a console within the next few months. I've not had one since the old-school NES, being mostly a PC-gamer guy. The main two games I know off the top of my head I will get are Madden and Rock Band. But other than those, which are cross-platform, what types of games are primarily on the PS3?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #29
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I purchased my PS3 for the Blu-Ray player, but have been playing more games than I thought I would. (COD4, COD5, etc…) I love that I’m able to play on-line without having to pay a monthly fee. HDMI and optical outputs are a plus. I’m missing out on Halo 3 and Gears of War, but I would make the same decision if I had to do it again.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #30
Trace63
We're all mad here

First Name: Kamil
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Trace63 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
Or until the Red Ring of Death gets you...

(sorry, could not resist)
LMAO! owned....
[replicant_argent] 11:07 am: Wasn't wayne a busboy at the last supper?
[Dooge] 10:49 pm: just judo chopped a fly
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #31
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

I own all three (PS3, X360, Wii) and if your looking for the best gaming experience go 360. The online gaming experience is far better than Sony's, there are far more games available for it, you get down loadable content and expansions for games much before Sony, and the new Netflix feature is tight. There's a reason it has so vastly outsold PS3. Yeah, the quality isn't as good, but MS has a good warranty in place. Compare the cost. X360 barebones can be had for 199, PS3 399.

I have to disagree with everyone over the PS3 as a good BR player. Yeah it has a blu ray player built in, but it's loud as hell. I never use it, I picked up a cheap BR player at best buy that works much better. And Home sucks.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #32
SilverFox

Interestingly enough Sony is suffering (comparatively) in console sales.

Overall, PlayStation products finished dead last in their respective categories with the Nintendo DS selling 1.57 million units to the PSPs 421,000 and the Nintendo Wii selling over 2 million units and the Xbox 360 selling over 800,000 units compared to the PS3s 378,000 units.

Now the Wii is a run away but for FPS Sports Driving Games, all your graphics will be on the Xbox and PS3.

I would say aside from the built in blu ray both systems are comparable. Aside from us home theater buffs, blu ray is really not taking off. Don't get me wrong I love it and have two blu ray players in my house but the format is nowhere near taking over from DVD as the large portions of consumer are relatively blah about it.

Why over all sales should concern you as a gamer is pretty simple, less consoles sold means less game buyers and while there are some good titles that are exclusive to PS3 there are also some that are good and exclusive to Xbox so in my opinion that is a wash unless one of those games is a must have for you.

As for online clearly the Xbox 360 has this market dominated (so far anyway things can change) and again I would say that more users means more content etc.

If the gap in console sales continues it will be difficult for Sony to continue to keep its exclusivity on games as developers forego a chunk of the market by going exclusive.

There is also the fact that the Xbox has been out a full year longer than the PS3, this is a lifetime in game development and there significantly more titles available for the Xbox.

From a development perspective while the PS3 may have more technical horsepower on paper taking advantage of that from a game development perspective is more difficult and in testing most of the cross platform games are graphically superior on the Xbox. There are some exclusive titles that take full advantage of the PS3s capabilities but this is not across all games in the platform.

Go with what you want you will here differing opinions from both sides.

On a price basis you the Xbox is almost half the cost, and Sony has come out recently and said it will not be lowering its prices on its consoles. This I think is a mistake as clearly the money to be made from the gaming industry is in the games not the hardware. Microsoft (lovem or hatem) understands this and wants there consoles in your house, Sony seems to forever fall on its we are Sony and that is all we need. Again don't get me wrong I love Sony products in general they make great stuff, but they stumble on there own arrogance from a business perspective.

My choice as should be obvious from the slant above is Xbox 360.

The red ring of death as many like to say is a non issue as far as new consoles so don't let that scare you.

Either way I am sure you will be happy
Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #33
spincycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
I'm sort-of in the market and will buy myself a console within the next few months. I've not had one since the old-school NES, being mostly a PC-gamer guy. The main two games I know off the top of my head I will get are Madden and Rock Band. But other than those, which are cross-platform, what types of games are primarily on the PS3?
My favorite franchises:
1) Grand Turismo
2) Final Fantasy

I'm a huge RPG gamer (not MMORPGS) so typically this leads me to the playstation (or more decently Nintendo DS) platforms.

If you're going for Madden and Rock Band, I'd get an Xbox, it's cheaper and most popular games are cross platform these days
Old 12-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #34
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

The other question here, are there any XBox exclusive games that are not ported to the PC? I like my shooters better on the PC anyway, and would just be looking for RPG-type stuff on the console to go with sports games and rock band. So combine that with the quieter current generation of PS3 and the inclusion of a Blu-Ray player, and I think it wins out for me, even with the additional cost.

I have MMOd in the past, but unless something absolutely mind-blowing comes out, I will not again. I have better things to do with my time than spend 2-3 hours a day farming or questing to make sure I have the cash to raid on the weekends.

Either way, thanks for the input.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #35
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post

I would say aside from the built in blu ray both systems are comparable. Aside from us home theater buffs, blu ray is really not taking off. Don't get me wrong I love it and have two blu ray players in my house but the format is nowhere near taking over from DVD as the large portions of consumer are relatively blah about it.
I'd just like to add to this that Blu-ray standalone have shipped over 2.2 million units for the year and The Dark Knight sold, not shipped, sold 600k units day 1. 147,000 Standalone units were sold Black Friday alone. I don't have the total statistic for how many have sold for the year, but they wouldn't be shipping them if they weren't selling.

This obviously doesn't include the PS3's statistics, which is the #1 selling player on the market.

Blu-ray is taking off in the US market

When Walmart is showing Blu-ray ads twice an hour. That has to say something.

Last edited by JE3146; 12-15-2008 at 01:34 PM.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #36
UPHOTO

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (7)
Montecristo
UPHOTO is on a distinguished road

I love my PS3.

A few things that bother me about it though.......

not the best avi support for using it as a movie server
horrible flash support in the online browser, can't watch streaming tv shows on it.

but that's about it. I really wish they would fix those things.
UPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #37
spincycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
The other question here, are there any XBox exclusive games that are not ported to the PC?
Don't think I can answer that as I hardly play PC games.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #38
spincycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPHOTO View Post
I love my PS3.

A few things that bother me about it though.......

not the best avi support for using it as a movie server
horrible flash support in the online browser, can't watch streaming tv shows on it.

but that's about it. I really wish they would fix those things.
Yes, something I wish was better too, but AVI (IIRC) is a Microsoft owned media container. So it's no wonder there is no support.

MPEG is better anyways.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #39
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
I'd just like to add to this that Blu-ray standalone have shipped over 2.2 million units for the year and The Dark Knight sold, not shipped, sold 600k units day 1. 147,000 Standalone units were sold Black Friday alone. I don't have the total statistic for how many have sold for the year, but they wouldn't be shipping them if they weren't selling.

This obviously doesn't include the PS3's statistics, which is the #1 selling player on the market.

Blu-ray is taking off in the US market

When Walmart is showing Blu-ray ads twice an hour. That has to say something.
Do you have the total DVD/DVD players sales to compare that too? Seems like an awfully small number to me.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #40
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Do you have the total DVD/DVD players sales to compare that too? Seems like an awfully small number to me.
It is small, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

10+ year penetration vs 2 and a half year penetration(3/4 of a year without competition of HD DVD)

Not to mention that any TV can benefit from DVD, whereas only HDTV's will benefit from Blu-ray.

Given the limited window of 'possible' market penetration, the format war, and the relatively high price in a troubled economy. I'd say Blu-ray is thriving right now.

I don't have any numbers of DVD players sold, but it's a given that it'll be high.

I do know the market penetration of The Dark Knight was 20% for Blu-ray.

20% Blu-rays / 80% DVD's

That number should be taken as slightly inflated due to the gamer market that it appeals to, so those millions of PS3's would definitely have an impact on those numbers.

Hope that helps clarify what I mean.

EDIT:: I lied... I found the statistic

The statistic for market share of optical disc players this season is:

25% Blu-ray players / 75% DVD players

Also noted that Revenue for Blu-ray optical disc players tripled since last year regardless of nearly 1/3rd the cost per player.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote