Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #41
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NHL '11 - '12 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Its funny my son is young and has averaged a violent collision that made me very concerned both of his first two years. He has thankfully gotten a lot better this summer about skating with his head up as I have hammered on him about it. Whats sad is we get so used to yelling at the kids to get up when they go down. Its just part of the culture and I and everyone else is guilty of doing it. Its generally the first response. Then its, crap he might be hurt. The sport makes you tough I have seen this first hand with my son. Watched him get hit pop back up start to skate then start to cry and head to the bench with the wind knocked out. Its part of the game and deeply engrained in the culture to be tough and play hurt and not say when somethings wrong. That dudes a nancy etc. Its odd I was proud of him last year when he had his big collision and wanted to go back out after I got done checking him out. I didnt let him skate anymore that day even though he seemed fine.

Its definitely something I worry about a lot. The other day he said he wanted to play in yhe nhl when he grew up. I laughed and said he should play baseball or golf. As of late I wouldnt want him to ever play at that level.
Mike, I played goal throughout peewees and midgets to high school and in the Ivies. I was very lucky due to my position that the only injuries that I had was a knee that had to have a cart removed and some back problems showing up now that I do not know if they were from sports or from military service. I think that my point is that now a days you need to keep an eye on your kids so that concussions and brain stem injuries are not missed in the tempo of getting them back on the ice. Sorry for intruding on this post again. Paul
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #42
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
I guess not, with the flex could be up to 21 games

14 Bruins games will be broadcast nationally in the United States on VERSUS (games marked as "non-exclusive" will also be televised locally on NESN). Three games will be broadcast nationally on NBC, with an additional four marked as "flex" games by NBC, meaning they potentially could become nationally televised games on NBC if the network chooses.
Blame ESPN.com for being an unreliable source of information.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #43
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Anyone go see the cup yesterday?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #44
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Anyone go see the cup yesterday?
I know it was making appearances in Oxford and Davison. Both near me, but I couldn't make it to either.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #45
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

For all you Boston fanboys the purehockey store in Braintree will be selling Bruins team gear from the 2010-11 season on Sep 10th 10 am.

Just looking out.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #46
lyle23

I saw for the first time the other day the hit on Crosby that put him in the condition he is in right now, that hit has no place in ANY level of sports. As much as I do not like Crosby, I wish him the best and hope he can soon play again. When he doesn't play like a baby he is great to watch.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #47
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

First Name: Greg
Trading: (13)
HUpmann
gpugliese will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle23 View Post
I saw for the first time the other day the hit on Crosby that put him in the condition he is in right now, that hit has no place in ANY level of sports. As much as I do not like Crosby, I wish him the best and hope he can soon play again. When he doesn't play like a baby he is great to watch.
Are you talking about when he ran into Steckel at the Winter Classic or when the Penguins foolishly put him back in against Tampa Bay and Hedman finished his check?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #48
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Game happens fast at that level, I don't think there was intent on Steckel's part. Crosby's teammate Matt Cooke makes more questionable hits than that on a weekly basis.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #49
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Let's hear it for the 'Canes!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #50
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

I think Steckel decided he wasnt going to move for him. He knew he was there though and he knew he was going to catch him.

No argument on Cooke. Dont think anyone could argue there has been a dirty player in many years. Loved seeing him get iced by Ivander Kane.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #51
lyle23

I was talking about the winter classic hit. from what it looked like, and I saw it once, was that he he blind sided him with an eblow to the head. Like I said I saw it once and only once. That's what it looked like to me, just my I agree 100% on your thoughts on mike Cooke. Correct me if im wrong, but, I believe it was him that hit marc savard originally, and we know what has happened to him. Either way, when Crosby plays like a pro, and not a baby, he is a great player.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #52
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Cooke can count Marc Savard among his many victims.

Here is the hit on Crosby so you can see it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQziwabMKk

Old 08-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #53
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Time again for the waaaay back machine:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=potvi...0&tx=166&ty=74
Old 08-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #54
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

Not much for me to say here except GO PENS!

Hopefully Crosby will be good to go again by the start of the season, he had an amazing first half of the season last year, kind of a shame he got hurt for the second half of it.

I am slightly worried about the Flyers though this year, I think they made a lot of big moves to improve their teams depth. I expect them to do pretty well this year.

Also hoping the Kings do something (Gotta hope for the best for a guy I went to High School with)...

Can't wait 'til it's hockey season again...
Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #55
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Former NHL player Wade Belak has been found dead in his home in Toronto, NHL.com reported Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/69...lak-found-dead

3 gone this summer, such a waste.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #56
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

talk about the gorilla in the corner. You have to imagine the league is panicked praying this stops. Just reinforces my desire to be careful with the boy. Repetitive concussions effects seem to be something that can't be ignored as to depression and destructive behavior.

35 with a wife and two kids. My age, I can't imagine what he was thinking if everything is as it appears. RIP. Prayers to the family
Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #57
drjammer
I love Hockey!!!

First Name: Don
Trading: (0)
Guantanamera
drjammer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Former NHL player Wade Belak has been found dead in his home in Toronto, NHL.com reported Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/69...lak-found-dead

3 gone this summer, such a waste.
What a shame to hear this, I got the opportunity to see Wade score his first NHL goal with the Avalanche.

RIP Wade
Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #58
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Wow, only 35. Crazy.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #59
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien has been arrested in Minnesota on suspicion of boating while intoxicated.

An arrest log for the Hennepin County jail says Byfuglien was booked just after 11 p.m. local time Wednesday and released early Thursday morning. He has not been formally charged.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #60
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Not a great off-season for the NHL. 3 deaths, Big Buff in trouble...I hope things get better, fast.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Closed Thread