Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Your iPhone, iPad is tracking you

Your iPhone, iPad is tracking you: Four things we know so far

http://www.mlive.com/business/index....racking_y.html

Quote:
Researchers Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden's discovery that the iPhone and 3G iPads keep a location history set a wave of reports and worry among cheating spouses last week.

Amid all the media bluster, here's are the four important points:

-- With a software update last June, the iPhone and 3G iPad has been updating a file called consolidated.db that uses cellphone data to keep a log of latitude and longitude coordinates and a timestamp.

-- The tracking information does not come from GPS, but from less accurate cellphone tower triangulation. So iPod Touch and iPad's with only WiFi service are not included. Even if you turn off "Location Services," this tracking information is still recorded.

-- If you were to lose your iOS device, it would take some tinkering to get the consolidated.db file off the iPhone. But since it is transferred to your computer when you synch with iTunes, seeing the data from a computer is as easy as installing the iPhone Tracker software. The iPhone Tracker does dumb down the results so they aren't as accurate as what the coordinates provided by the phone.

-- The only to kill this file is to "jailbreak" your iPhone and install an unauthorized application, which voids your warranty. To hide the incriminating file on your computer, connect your iOS device to your computer, click the iPhone or iPad and click encrypt backups and pick a password.

While it the iPhone's GPS service works faster because it is keeping a rough idea of its location via cell tower triangulation, it is puzzling why Apple would keep such an extensive log of this activity and do such a poor job of protecting it. Expect a software update soon to clean up this public relations mess.

Just a heads up...
Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Your iPhone, iPad is tracking you

yeah, and the MI cops have no problem asking you to suck that info off your phone either. What is your take on it?
On a brighter note, I would think it would be easier for Apple to just have the devices ask the black choppers that circle my whereabouts daily.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
kickerb

Android phones are tracking you too, and this isn't anything new. They found out about this months ago, but the news sites didn't grab hold of it like now.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

You can be tracked with anything with a GPS.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

AND...wait for it...you opted in when you accepted the terms of use for the location based services.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Supposedly the iPhone tracks and stores a "year's worth" of location data even if you opt out of location-based services. It's not clear how/when this location log is shipped to Apple.

Next thing they will be saving and scanning our text messages....

(yes that last was a joke as I know that they can't possibly have the time, engery, bandwidth or manpower to do that )

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Old 04-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
AND...wait for it...you opted in when you accepted the terms of use for the location based services.
-- The tracking information does not come from GPS, but from less accurate cellphone tower triangulation. So iPod Touch and iPad's with only WiFi service are not included. Even if you turn off "Location Services," this tracking information is still recorded.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

In the past, I would have argued that the file would not be inspected because it was not germane to the issue at hand (traffic stop). However, it has been pointed out to me elsewhere by a college professor who does research on technologies to benefit police agencies, that the cellular record could easily indicate traffic infractions for which you weren't caught (but are infractions anyway), provided that the sample rate is fast enough (haven't downloaded the tool yet to see).

Apparently, there are several companies that are developing products that use this hidden file for tracking movements of people on parole and others (subject to voluntary consent or court order).

Fascinating tidbit for those of the Orwellian mind and certainly predicted when GPS units started being embedded in mobile devices. On the other hand, places like Oregon that want to embed a GPS in your car, so that you pay road taxes based on mileage rather than flat fees, may have just gotten a serious boost in favor since the proposal is now well known not to be new.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
The new micro-cell technologies can, based on density, be more accurate than a non-military GPS signal. TI seems to be banking on these as a solid revenue source.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

BIG brother is always watching...
Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

"The tracking information does not come from GPS, but from less accurate cellphone tower triangulation."

Hasn't this always been possible with calls made from cell phones? Seems the only difference here is you don't have to make a call to be tracked.

FWIW Apple says they don't track people, don't think Google can say that...
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

more interesting - and I can't for the life of me figure out why this isn't being reported in all the articles...
if you have a mac running Snow Leopard, with wifi in it - google and download an app called iStumbler (or another called Lucubrator). run it - it will probably be able to tell you very precise coordinates of where you are, even though your mac doesn't have gps or cell phone in it. and, I'm pretty sure that it can do this courtesy of all the folks walking around every day with iPhones.....
Old 04-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I knew I should have kept my Razr.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Good thing I still use a "dumbphone".
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

so is your driod
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #17
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
more interesting - and I can't for the life of me figure out why this isn't being reported in all the articles...
if you have a mac running Snow Leopard, with wifi in it - google and download an app called iStumbler (or another called Lucubrator). run it - it will probably be able to tell you very precise coordinates of where you are, even though your mac doesn't have gps or cell phone in it. and, I'm pretty sure that it can do this courtesy of all the folks walking around every day with iPhones.....
yup, see page 6 here:
http://markey.house.gov/docs/applema...ton7-12-10.pdf

I guess this may have been briefly in the news, but didn't seem to cause as much attention as the latest stuff....
Old 04-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

They're welcome to sift through all my data whenever they please.
"Sir, it appears Mr. Shilala was on the couch."
"Hmm, what do you think he's doing on that couch so much?"
"Sir, I'd rather not think about it, if it's all the same to you."
Old 04-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

When is someone going to write an app that strips this out of the phone? I don't care about location service content. My ZIP is all they need.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I knew I should have kept my Razr.
Yes, you should have....

Now put that down, you are getting all the pages sticky.

Oh, your truck needs gas, and the right rear tire is a tich low.