Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Justinphilly

Default Any winemakers here?

I have decided that I'd like to try making wine. I have been thinking about it for quite some time, and I'm gonna do it. Anyone have experience with any kits? A friend back in Philly says don't do the kits bc they're all junk, but he's really into it and probably has too advanced an opinion.

My questions:

-are there any kits that are actually good? I understand that I want a glass kit, rather than plastic, right?

-where is a good place to order supplies, grapes, etc?

-what's better, green or clear bottles? Real cork or synthetic?

-should I really dive down this slope?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Bigsam
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Bigsam is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any winemakers here?

I'm not sure where in Nashville you can order supplies you should be able to find local places just google.

Green is better because less light hits the wine light is a killer.

There is really no difference in using synthetic corks what I can tell you if a real cork goes bad its what is called the wine is corked and that is an awful taste. The best to use believe it or not are screw on tops but people can't get used to it they want corks. Oxygen hurts wine and with screw on caps there is less of a chance that's why you tip wine bottles so the cork stays wet and oxygen cant enter.

I would try it nice hobby but there are so many good wines out there I would rather buy them but that's me.
Bigsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

My f-i-l has made wine for a good amount of years (30+). He used to buy grape and grind them himself. Then he started using juice from five gallon buckets. He found that there was no real difference in the quality. He uses green glass carboys. I wish I could help you more, but he hasn't made any wine in the last five years or so and I haven't been a part of his brewing process yet.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

How's this for timing

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1...essentials-kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinphilly View Post
I have decided that I'd like to try making wine. I have been thinking about it for quite some time, and I'm gonna do it. Anyone have experience with any kits? A friend back in Philly says don't do the kits bc they're all junk, but he's really into it and probably has too advanced an opinion.

My questions:

-are there any kits that are actually good? I understand that I want a glass kit, rather than plastic, right?

-where is a good place to order supplies, grapes, etc?

-what's better, green or clear bottles? Real cork or synthetic?

-should I really dive down this slope?
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Good catch on the kit, Ade!!!
We used to make wine when we were kids, I'd have died for a kit like that. We used jugs and balloons to tell when the wine was done.
We drank some skanky-ass wine, I can tell ya.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I've never had homemade wine that I thought was exceptional. I did have some in Portugal that was decent, but it was like $4 bottle at best. That being said, making something that is yours from your own labor is quite attractive.

Beer is a better homemade proposition.