Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #501
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Yankees vs. Phillies W.S. 2009

Shoot, when I was in New York each working day, I smoked Nat Shermans. Phillies are for - well, Phillies.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #502
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

How bad do you Phillies Phans feel about getting rid of Lee? I pulled for you guys in the Series, but that is just a damn stupid move on the Phillies part (IMHO).

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #503
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
How bad do you Phillies Phans feel about getting rid of Lee? I pulled for you guys in the Series, but that is just a damn stupid move on the Phillies part (IMHO).
Looking at the move individually, I agree with you. But looking at it as Lee for one year vs. Halladay for four...well, the move makes a lot of sense. Would I have loved to keep both? Of course. But I guess their salary can only be so high. I have no problem with that. They are spending the money they have unlike they did in the past when their revenues were paltry.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #504
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

They could have had both with no problems for 2010. Lee's salary was only $9M for 2010. If they had to let him walk after 2010 so be it. The whole point they traded for Lee over Doc during the summer was because they did not want to trade Drabek. Now they ended uo trading Drabek anyways.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:34 AM   #505
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
They could have had both with no problems for 2010. Lee's salary was only $9M for 2010. If they had to let him walk after 2010 so be it. The whole point they traded for Lee over Doc during the summer was because they did not want to trade Drabek. Now they ended uo trading Drabek anyways.
Drabek was one of four in the summer deal. Taylor was another. The other two were Haap and Brown (who the Phillies love), neither of which were traded in this deal(s). This was definitely a lesser deal than the one proposed in the summer.

The other major factor was they were able to renegotiate with Halladay before the deal was commenced now. That isn't so easy when the deadline is looming.

Like I said, I wish they kept both. But I won't minimize $9M. The Phils don't have the Yanks bottomless pit of $.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #506
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

The best part of the trade I think is that Roy is out of the AL and especially the AL East.