Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 12-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough
Default New Stanwell with loose stem....

Got a New Stan and the stem was tight when I bought it. After a month in the drawer I pulled it out today for a breaking bowl, the stem is loose. ????? What will change the fit? After a month in the house, now granted it is cold now then when I bought it.

What should I do? any fix I can do? Bought it online from a reputable seller. I don't want to return it the grain is too beautiful.....

Thanks in advance.
boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Stanwell with loose stem....

take your torch lighter and hold it about 2 inches below the stem where it fits into the bowl and rotate the stem around to heat it up....then press it down on a hard surface and hold it for a minute or two...let it cool off then put it in the pipe....easy does it...not too much at a time or it will get too tight
Old 12-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by colimo View Post
take your torch lighter and hold it about 2 inches below the stem where it fits into the bowl and rotate the stem around to heat it up....then press it down on a hard surface and hold it for a minute or two...let it cool off then put it in the pipe....easy does it...not too much at a time or it will get too tight
I'd hold off on doing that till a last resort, and if I did I'd use a soft flame.

there are a number of reasons that it maybe not fitting as tight as it was. temperature, humidity change, lack of smoking, ect. I had one that was quite not tight fitting until I put fire into the bowl and then it was fine. Finally I had the pipe guy fix it at the local shop cause we were both bored one day
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
I'd hold off on doing that till a last resort, and if I did I'd use a soft flame.

there are a number of reasons that it maybe not fitting as tight as it was. temperature, humidity change, lack of smoking, ect. I had one that was quite not tight fitting until I put fire into the bowl and then it was fine. Finally I had the pipe guy fix it at the local shop cause we were both bored one day
he is right...soft flame...i stand corrected
Old 12-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

1) How loose is it? If it isn't "falling off" loose, simply smoking a bowl in it will correct the issue as the pipe heats up and moisture gets into the stem.

2) If that doesn't work, take a simple candle and rub it up and down the outside of the tenon. This should tighten it up so that it is no longer loose.

Never, I repeat, never, use the technique which will cause you to change the shape of your tenon. Why? It fit when you bought it, it will fit when the temperature and humidity rises. If you change the shape of the tenon, you will have issues later.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
1) How loose is it? If it isn't "falling off" loose, simply smoking a bowl in it will correct the issue as the pipe heats up and moisture gets into the stem.

2) If that doesn't work, take a simple candle and rub it up and down the outside of the tenon. This should tighten it up so that it is no longer loose.

Never, I repeat, never, use the technique which will cause you to change the shape of your tenon. Why? It fit when you bought it, it will fit when the temperature and humidity rises. If you change the shape of the tenon, you will have issues later.
This is what I have thought..... Will try beeswax or a candle later.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
1) ... smoking a bowl in it will correct the issue...
This method only works about 97% of the time.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
This is what I have thought..... Will try beeswax or a candle later.
I didn't suggest beeswax because not too many people have that available.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

HdM

Broke The Stan in with a bowl of Peterson Uni Flake and the stem tightened up. Seems my worries went a way. This smoked like a dream..... My Stanwell Legend 64..... Nice straight grain all around with birds eye on the bottom on the bowl... I think I will have a new love for this pipe after today...
Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Broke The Stan in with a bowl of Peterson Uni Flake and the stem tightened up.
Another holiday miracle. Cool pipe; love the Stanwells.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Figured it would tighten up on its own. Remember though, as it cools and the humidity is sapped from the mortise, it may loosen again.

The cure? Smoke it every 4 days.